Carrying 2 MacBook Pro 15"

Hi all,

I am trying to find out which bag would be the smallest possible, while still big enough for:

1 MacBook Pro 15" Unibody
    1 MacBook Pro 15" Retina
    1 iPad Air
    1 iPad Mini Retina
    1 MacBook Charger (85W)
    1 iPad Charger (12W)
    Charging cables and adapters

I have been eying the Cadet, but am not sure it can accommodate all of the above (ideally each inside a Cache). I do have a Synapse 19, Synapse 25, Smart Alec, SCB, but none of them is perfect for the purpose.

BTW: I am not carrying all those items just for myself :-) This is our family gadget bag when travelling. :-)

Thank you,
    Athanasios

I think you could get all of this into the Cadet, but it would be super uncomfortable to carry. The 25 was my first thought; what about it is less than ideal for you? Also, what "charging cables and adapters" would you need in addition to the ones you have already listed?

Thank you, Badger!

I can fit everything in the Synapse 25 and more. The "and more" is less than ideal for me as I would like to use up as little space as possible (carrying already lots of other stuff for our newborn and we commute often between two cities). I guess a Synapse 21 would probably be ideal.

The extra cables are just a few Micro USB and Lightning Cables. Mostly negligible.

Ah, I see. This is one situation where the external compression straps on the Brain Bag would likely come in handy (though I am not suggesting a BB for your purposes!). I have been able to get two 15" MBPs into my 19, but it's a really tight fit, and not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.

I wonder if the Founder's Briefcase could work, with one Mac in the built-in cache and another on the other side. You might ask Beau if it's possible to do that. If it is, I imagine you'd want to use an Absolute Strap since that's quite a bit of weight to carry on one shoulder.

The EB or SE would easily swallow that and maybe the smaller versions of either also but as I only have the full size models that is my experience.

The Brain Bag also easily would handle this.

And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to carry a load like this?
    SURE they are not all yours!?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Will try and find out if the Founder's Briefcase could be an option. The EB might also work.

@AVService: Working in IT, I tend to carry tons of hardware and gadgets around, but in this case only 3/4 of that is my stuff.

The Zephyr and the Ego do fit what you list above very well - 2 non-17" laptops with room for the cables and the iPad / Mini iPad with a minimum of extra space. It all just fits but can also stretch if extra room is needed. The Ego has more room in the front for cables, etc due to its extra volume. But, the Zephyr really protects its contents in the main section due to the 5 sided stiff padding - just like in the EB. The Ego has stiff padding but just on the bottom and back. I put my laptops in Booq Vyper sleeves for extra insurance (I have a 15.6" laptop and a 14.1" laptop - both PCs).
    The smaller form factor of both the Zephyr and Ego make it easier to navigate on the street and not bump into things.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thank you! The Zephyr seems a good fit. For some reason I hadn't even considered it. Now I can only hope TB will produce them before March next year. :-)

Timing is everything eh?

You might call TB customer service to see if they have 1 left too - perhaps one from their store.

Also, I did see a Zephyr on ebay that might be a good alternative:

Tom Bihn Zephyr Briefcase EUC USA Made | eBay

It is the first gen - with additional back pockets to carry small items like cables. The only other difference between that one and the current gen that I know of is the shoulder strap connector (it used to be metal but is now a strong triangular plastic). I actually prefer the first gen as you have the 2 extra back pockets.

Of the 2 - Ego / Zephyr- I usually use the Zephyr to carry my 2 laptops (work and personal) and other electronics (tablet, big phone) and cables. It is amazing what you can fit into this bag without it looking bulky and the all around padding makes me feel at ease knowing that my laptops are protected. It is very compact and protective.

Cheers

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0