Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Trailhiker
  • 2 Post By Virob
  • 2 Post By Moose

Thread: Synapse 19 accessibility

Synapse 19 accessibility

Hi all,

Looking to get my first TB bag and trying to decide between the co-pilot and synapse 19 as a daily bag for iPad and camera. I am leaning to the CP. I like backpacks, but at least the ones I have used, you have to take them off when you want to get something in or out. But then, all those bags I had, had just one large compartment. With all the extra pockets on the synapse, I was wondering if this would make it easier to access these pocks without having to take the pack fully off. Those of you using this bag, is it easy to slide to bag on to one shoulder, rotate and easily access the side, bottom, or water bottle pocket?

Thanks,
    Mike

I have a S19 and use it every day. The pockets are easy to get to by rotating the bag as you suggest. I also have a CP and it is great for electronics.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Resistance is futile, you will eventually end up getting both. ;-)

But until then, Tizi is absolutely correct in the swing around motion, on that note someone around here has already documented the "swing" and documented it with photos. ( the photos were in a metro station in Japan, someone?)

One great thing about the CoPilot (amongst others) is that middle pocket that is used for the water.
    There are times when I'm using my camera ( canon G-15 with a wrist strap) in an urban environment an I want to be stealth about carrying my camera ready for a shot. If I zip open that compartment (and adjust the shoulder strap to the right length) my camera could reside in that pocket attached to my wrist for the ready.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    Resistance is futile, you will eventually end up getting both. ;-)

But until then, Tizi is absolutely correct in the swing around motion, on that note someone around here has already documented the "swing" and documented it with photos. ( the photos were in a metro station in Japan, someone?)
    Yes, you're referring to GEOcycle's posts in the Synapse continues to surprise thread.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, you're referring to GEOcycle's posts in the Synapse continues to surprise thread.
    THAT is exactly what I was hoping for! I'm sitting here with the CP in my shopping cart, ready to go, now I really need to rethink (no.....just no...I...can't...have both.....must resist......).

Quote Originally Posted by Virob View Post
    THAT is exactly what I was hoping for! I'm sitting here with the CP in my shopping cart, ready to go, now I really need to rethink (no.....just no...I...can't...have both.....must resist......).
    Good luck with that whole "resist" thing. If you find a way to do it please share how you managed it.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Yes, let us know on the resisting. We all need the help on that!

I am still seriously impressed with the S19, but today I placed my order for a CP. In the end I wanted the smaller size of the CP which I think will be more practical for day to day to day use. I'll try to give an update after I' ve had it for awhile.

Volunteer Moderator
    I am still seriously impressed with the S19, but today I placed my order for a CP. In the end I wanted the smaller size of the CP which I think will be more practical for day to day to day use. I'll try to give an update after I' ve had it for awhile.
    For those of us who feed our habits vicariously, what color/fabric combination did you get? Inquiring minds want to know!

I didn't know there was more than one size available for the CP...maybe you're talking wishful thinking for the future. If I understood Darcy correctly in past forum exchanges, there is Nothing Imminent for production of a "Pilot" or an "Aeronaut Jr.". i've gotten the impression that TB is not seriously entertaining updates or variations on either of these two any time soon. Maybe Darcy can clarify.....Darcy?

FYI, I recently ordered and received a new CP in black dyneema with wasabi dyneema interior. It looks quite fancy shmancy. And true to its clown car roots, it packs way more than I fantasized, yet still looks low profile, except for the fancy shmancy part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Monkeylady, I believe that Virob was referring to "the smaller size of the CoPilot" comparing it to the Synapse 19, which he/she was also considering.

I, too, wish it were true that there were 2 sizes of the CoPilot available.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by SusanM View Post
    Monkeylady, I believe that Virob was referring to "the smaller size of the CoPilot" comparing it to the Synapse 19, which he/she was also considering.

I, too, wish it were true that there were 2 sizes of the CoPilot available.

Susan
    Yes, that is what I meant. A slightly larger CP would have been a nice option though.
    I ended up with the Dyneema black/wasabi combo. I also got the upgraded shoulder strap, the iPad air folder and clear wallet. We have 2 pets, fur gets everywhere, so dyneema was the best option. It also has an interesting look, less formal, which I like. I'm going to play around with the 2 pockets in the main compartment. Seems like an olympus OMD body could fit in one and 1-2 lenses in the other, which would be perfect. If so, I'll try and make a custom padded pouch to fit in each pocket. Obviously not as convenient as having a lens mounted on the camera, but packed that way, it should add no extra bulk and be easy to access. Possibly faster then an assembled camera/lens in a backpack.

Getting back the the Synapse, with a CP on the way, if it turns out to be all that I hoped for, and from all the enthusiasm on the the forum for Bihn products, you guys have all set the bar rather high, I might consider giving my much loved 30+ year old backpack that has gone everywhere with me an honourable retirement. It is ripped, missing parts, full of holes, has most the coating worn off and is dirt and sweat stained to the point my wife is embarrassed to be seen with me carrying it. In that case, I would consider the Synapse 24 which could also carry my 15 macbook on work trips.

Volunteer Moderator
    Yes, that is what I meant. A slightly larger CP would have been a nice option though.
    I ended up with the Dyneema black/wasabi combo. I also got the upgraded shoulder strap, the iPad air folder and clear wallet. We have 2 pets, fur gets everywhere, so dyneema was the best option. It also has an interesting look, less formal, which I like. I'm going to play around with the 2 pockets in the main compartment. Seems like an olympus OMD body could fit in one and 1-2 lenses in the other, which would be perfect. If so, I'll try and make a custom padded pouch to fit in each pocket. Obviously not as convenient as having a lens mounted on the camera, but packed that way, it should add no extra bulk and be easy to access. Possibly faster then an assembled camera/lens in a backpack.

Getting back the the Synapse, with a CP on the way, if it turns out to be all that I hoped for, and from all the enthusiasm on the the forum for Bihn products, you guys have all set the bar rather high, I might consider giving my much loved 30+ year old backpack that has gone everywhere with me an honourable retirement. It is ripped, missing parts, full of holes, has most the coating worn off and is dirt and sweat stained to the point my wife is embarrassed to be seen with me carrying it. In that case, I would consider the Synapse 24 which could also carry my 15 macbook on work trips.
    I think you'll really like the Black 400d Dyneema/Wasabi combination for the Co-Pilot. I'm really surprised by how much Imlike the texture of this combination (because I'm a Nordic fan by color choice), and this fabric is simply very nice to carry while being extremely pet-hair resistant. However, I have to say that for the camera and lens combination you describe, if I weren't concerned about the "pet-hair magnet" nature of the canvas materials used, the current prices (under $70, including shipping, from many vendors) and design of the Domke F-5XB Camera bag would look tempting. But these bags definitely look like Pet-hair magnets.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-22-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0