Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Synapse 19 and Macbook 15" with retina?

Hi all!

I am new here -- have been nosing around the forums where I could swear I saw someone say that a 15" macbook with retina screen fits in the synapse 19? But now I can't find it.

I see where the synapse 25 is recommended for 15" macbook, but I am hesitant to get a bag that large. I had knee surgery last year and I want to keep the bag as small as possible so I'm not tempted to overstuff it ha! Plus I'm 5'6 so on the limit for that too.

I'm thinking a backpack is the best way to keep the weight close to my body -- before surgery I was using a messenger style bag and it swung out one time and hurt my knee for days.

I will use it as carry on and for commuting with my macbook/charger/accessories plus water bottle and lunch being the main items in the bag. I may take it on some light hiking day trips too -- knee is finally on the mend yay!

Thanks so much for any and all advice!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideoats View Post
    Hi all!

I am new here -- have been nosing around the forums where I could swear I saw someone say that a 15" macbook with retina screen fits in the synapse 19? But now I can't find it.
    Welcome!

We decided that the 15" MacBook Pro Retina was just a little bit too big to fit comfortably in the Synapse 19. Because the laptop has square corners and the Synapse has rounded corners, the corners of the laptop may put too much pressure on the zipper of the main compartment of the Synapse 19, perhaps causing the zippers to wear out prematurely (as they would if you put any larger object in a bag that's too small to hold it.)

So, with that said, the Synapse 25 would be your best option. The weight difference between the S19 and S25 isn't all that much -- as you said, the thing to do would be to fight the temptation to pack more than what you need or want to carry.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks so much Darcy!

Wen
    Hi Darcy,

I was about to ask the same question and found you've already answered here. But I also found this Synapse fits the 15" MacBook Pro Retina - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington saying it would fit. Maybe you'd want to put a warning there .

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wen View Post
    Hi Darcy,

I was about to ask the same question and found you've already answered here. But I also found this Synapse fits the 15" MacBook Pro Retina - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington saying it would fit. Maybe you'd want to put a warning there .
    Ohh! Thanks for pointing that out. I've removed that blog post.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0