Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By autolycus

Thread: Parapack vs Dyneema/nylon

Yam

Parapack vs Dyneema/nylon

Hello all,

Anyone know anything about how the new fabric compares to the Dyneema/nylon in terms of durability/ease of cleaning?

It seems very very strong, very tightly woven. The dyneema feels like a looser, more porous weave with more flexibility whereas the parapack feels quite rigid. As for resistance to staining I would think it would hold up as well as the 1050d and much better than the cordura or dyneema

How about comparison to the cordura? Seems like it's lighter, but otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    How about comparison to the cordura? Seems like it's lighter, but otherwise?
    It's definitely a tighter weave than Cordura, and feels much smoother to the touch. As to the hand, I wouldn't say it's rigid, per se, but the tight weave definitely makes it feel less supple than Dyneema; it still does, to my mind, have some of the same squishable quality.

Yam
    Hmm, interesting. I'm curious - given that they are about the same weight of material, what is the advantage of Dyneema/nylon now? It used to be the ultralight option, but now it seems to have lost that advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yam View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I'm curious - given that they are about the same weight of material, what is the advantage of Dyneema/nylon now? It used to be the ultralight option, but now it seems to have lost that advantage.
    I'm hoping someone else jumps in with more pros and cons to each fabric, but I assume that the single biggest advantage of the Dyneema/nylon is the ripstop pattern. The high strength of the Dyneema ripstop grid is what allows them to "cheat" and use a lighter nylon for the bulk of the fabric without conceeding much durability. The parapack does not have any sort of ripstop pattern. So... My questions would be:

1) How necessary (or helpful) is the ripstop in various usage patterns or situations?

2) How does the overall tear resistance and abrasion resistance compare between the Dyneema/nylon (assuming 400d as used in bag exteriors) and the Parapak?

On weight... It does look like the Dyneema/nylon still has a weight advantage over all competitors. It is a narrower gap with the Parapak than the 1000d Cordura, but it is still there. Look at the LCB, for instance (Cordura, D/n, Pp): 585g, 475g, 545g. That's 13% lower weight for the Dyneema/nylon vs. Parapack. This is an interesting comparison to me because the LCB is pretty much a bunch of fabric, a few seams, a single zipper, a single buckle, and a shoulder strap. It has a pretty high fabric to other stuff ratio, which works well in showing the weight difference in the fabric itself. Whereas a bag like the Synapse has a lot of piping, far more complicated seams, two shoulder straps with foam, a back pad, and a whole lot of zippers and other parts. Those items account for a decent portion of the weight of the Synapse, which means differences in the base fabric cannot result in as large a percentage in overall weight.

Now... what you take from the above is, of course, ultimately going to come down to a set of trade-offs. Some will prefer the lowest possible weight. Some will prefer the feel of a certain fabric over the alternatives. Some will choose simply for color. And on, and on, and on. I love my Cordura Synapse. I love my 1050d ballistic nylon Aeronaut. I also love my D/n Smart Alec. I might prefer a D/n Aeronaut, but it wasn't an option when I jumped in Bihn bags, and the difference is not worth a bag upgrade, to me. Because the Aeronaut serves me perfectly and still looks near new even after several years, I would rather spend the money on a different bag that serves a different purpose, or on my next computer or camera lens.
    eWalker likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0