Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By autolycus

Thread: The Smart Alec + modular pockets - does it still meet the carry on restrictions?

The Smart Alec + modular pockets - does it still meet the carry on restrictions?

I'm just wondering if a Smart Alec with both upper & lower modular pockets attached would still meet the size restrictions when flying? I'm thinking about the lower one really, I figure the upper pocket probably wouldn't have much impact. Obviously weight wise it just depends what I put in them.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mtpr View Post
    I'm just wondering if a Smart Alec with both upper & lower modular pockets attached would still meet the size restrictions when flying? I'm thinking about the lower one really, I figure the upper pocket probably wouldn't have much impact. Obviously weight wise it just depends what I put in them.

Cheers!
    Upper modular pocket definitely won't be an issue because the top panel of the bag is sloped and the modular pocket is not really any higher than the top of the main bag.

The lower modular pocket adds as much as 2 1/2 - 3" to the depth of the bag. I would say in most cases, it will make the bag somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-12" deep in total outside dimension. That's a generous estimate, but not unreasonable, especially if you have a water bottle or similarly-sized/shaped item in the modular pocket.

IATA standards for "cabin baggage" is 22"x18"x10". The Smart Alec with both modular pockets is definitely within the 22" and 18" dimensions. Even though I'm saying it will be 11-12" deep, unless the bag and modular pocket are packed with particularly rigid items or in such a way that the depth of the bag is maximized, you shouldn't have an issue getting it into a size checker, and you should have even less trouble getting it into an overhead. I'm not sure it would fit under a seat unless the main bag is not full.

In real world usage, I had my SA with both modular pockets and a co-pilot on Delta flights ATL-DEN and return and had no problems at all getting the bag in the overhead. It was much easier for me than most "carry-on" rolling bags are. I have not flown with it on a RJ to know how it fits in the smaller overhead or whether it is likely to be singled out as needing to be gate-checked. I doubt it would though, given how many people report being able to get an aeronaut on board without questions.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Thank very much for such a detailed reply

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0