Question shopping list ready, any suggestions for improvement?

hey folks,

i'm finally ready to order.
    getting a backpack for all my belongings, use it as carry on for flying, going hiking, daypack, university, just one backpack for everything as detailed here.

that already costs me $439 shipping included. it is quite hefty, but i'm willing to invest that.
    i thought about getting multiple packing cubes, but they are not so cheap and having one bigger one, that can work as small backpack for shopping is super useful, plus i'm planning on using the modular pockets as cubes, if i don't need them outside as extra volume. that should work.

i'd be super if you could weigh in and tell my if your experience would make you suggest some tweaking to this list, as i'm outside the US, i kind of have to get it right the first time.

thank you!
    d
    Last edited by declutter; 10-27-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: reasons

Nice list. (I have a Synapse 25 and like it very much.) Only one thing i would suggest - I bought a few accessories and the only one I am not 100% thrilled with is the 3D clear organizer cube. For a bit more money I would suggest the Side Effect, and use a zip lock baggie instead of the clear 3D for the liquids bag when flying. The Side Effect is very versatile yet not that much bigger so still tucks in to the larger bags nicely. This is assuming you plan to use the clear 3D for your 3-1-1 bag mostly. If you have it slotted for other uses, then ignore me.

One accessory I got for my Smart Alec was the vertical Freudian Slip. It helps a lot with the interior organization of the SA. I also got a packing cube backpack, but I got the Western Flyer/Tri-Star version because it would accommodate the Freudian Slip.

I am wondering, if you plan to use the Aeronaut PCBP as a (packed) packing cube inside the Smart Alec, will it fit? Maybe someone who has both can provide some input on that.

Otherwise, I think your list looks pretty good. I like the 3D organizer cubes. They are small and lightweight, and useful for so many things.
    I agree regarding the consideration of, and the versatility of, the Side Effect -- watch the Side Effect video to see if it is even something that you might have need for. In the second half of the video, see how it is tethered into one of the side pockets of the Smart Alec with a key strap.
    Last edited by Sarah; 10-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Tiny clarification - I think I would like the mesh organizer cube better than the clear one - it is a robust plastic, which is good, but sort of stiff and sticky so does not tuck in as well as I would like.

We have a Smart Alec which we mainly use for shopping and taking parcels to the post office etc.

I've only travelled with it once (overnight leisure trip) and I packed it using cubes as I was sharing the bag with MrDaisy - used cubes and pouches to segregate our stuff. I think I would do the same if using it by myself. The ability to just pull out a sub-bag containing a change of clothes or the coffee kit (must make decent coffee in budget motels, or not so budget ones sometimes) is great.

(If I was carrying the bag a lot, I might be shaving every last gram so may feel differently - above was car travel)

A dyneema side effect or dyneema 3D cube would be great to catch the chargers and cables that you must have at at least some of .. I don't see them mentioned in the first post of your other thread. The upper modular pocket would hold them but I'd think you may reserve that for things you want to access easily...

That said - you already have a fine list and after using your new gear for a while you'll have a better idea of how you want to segregate your stuff or even if you do.

edit to add - I see you have minimal chargers - so maybe a zipped pouch instead? Although the dyneema 3D cube squashes down to almost nothing when only partly filled.
    Last edited by daisy; 10-27-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Nice list. (I have a Synapse 25 and like it very much.) Only one thing i would suggest - I bought a few accessories and the only one I am not 100% thrilled with is the 3D clear organizer cube. For a bit more money I would suggest the Side Effect, and use a zip lock baggie instead of the clear 3D for the liquids bag when flying. The Side Effect is very versatile yet not that much bigger so still tucks in to the larger bags nicely. This is assuming you plan to use the clear 3D for your 3-1-1 bag mostly. If you have it slotted for other uses, then ignore me.
    yeah, i wanna use that for cosmetic fluids as new cosmetic bag, since my old one is not see-through, a cheap zip lock bag wouldn't be sturdy and good looking i believe.
    that side effect looks certainly nice, but i think yet another pocket is just too much, both money and pocket wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    One accessory I got for my Smart Alec was the vertical Freudian Slip. It helps a lot with the interior organization of the SA. I also got a packing cube backpack, but I got the Western Flyer/Tri-Star version because it would accommodate the Freudian Slip.
    i was planning on, but in my previous thread, it has been suggested to skip it, since i don't really have documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I am wondering, if you plan to use the Aeronaut PCBP as a (packed) packing cube inside the Smart Alec, will it fit? Maybe someone who has both can provide some input on that.

Otherwise, I think your list looks pretty good. I like the 3D organizer cubes. They are small and lightweight, and useful for so many things.
    I agree regarding the consideration of, and the versatility of, the Side Effect -- watch the Side Effect video to see if it is even something that you might have need for. In the second half of the video, see how it is tethered into one of the side pockets of the Smart Alec with a key strap.
    i have to check that with tom bihn.
    i'm not sure which backpack cube i should get, tristar or aeronaut, don't really know what the one liter and other zipper arrangement has positive over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    We have a Smart Alec which we mainly use for shopping and taking parcels to the post office etc.

I've only travelled with it once (overnight leisure trip) and I packed it using cubes as I was sharing the bag with MrDaisy - used cubes and pouches to segregate our stuff. I think I would do the same if using it by myself. The ability to just pull out a sub-bag containing a change of clothes or the coffee kit (must make decent coffee in budget motels, or not so budget ones sometimes) is great.

(If I was carrying the bag a lot, I might be shaving every last gram so may feel differently - above was car travel)

A dyneema side effect or dyneema 3D cube would be great to catch the chargers and cables that you must have at at least some of .. I don't see them mentioned in the first post of your other thread. The upper modular pocket would hold them but I'd think you may reserve that for things you want to access easily...

That said - you already have a fine list and after using your new gear for a while you'll have a better idea of how you want to segregate your stuff or even if you do.

edit to add - I see you have minimal chargers - so maybe a zipped pouch instead? Although the dyneema 3D cube squashes down to almost nothing when only partly filled.
    that's what i wanna do, instead of having this ugly pile of my crap. plus speed. i wanna live out of my backpack, but with style and comfort.

i might skip the pouch for chargers and just stuff my two chargers in a pocket outside or somewhere else.

thanks, y'all for your help, i really appreciate it!