Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By KatrinkaWinkle

Thread: Question on Dissinfecting Tom Bihn Gear

Question on Dissinfecting Tom Bihn Gear

Hi all,
    So i read a post on cleaning the bag and the suggestion was to use a natural soft soap, but I wanted to ask for clarification on 2 issues before I go ahead and do so:

I bought a bunch of used equipment from someone including a brainbag, empire builder, FS, bunch of pouches, and brain cell.

They are a few years old and show a bit of wear but otherwise in very good shape. I believe they would look like new with a fresh 'coat of paint' so to speak.

Anyway is it safe to after filling the bathtub with water and mild soap completely dunk and soak the above.... with all zippers open and all nooks and crannies getting submerged and flooded?

Also for a more 'hospital' level of disinfecting, is it okay to gently wipe down all over the gear with something like a clorox wipe?

I got a brand new tri-star a month or so ago, and it just lit a spark, now i already have more then i know what to do with!

Thanks!

I've done the bathtub soak on a couple of my bags and they came out revived. I used warm water and Soak, which is a mild soap meant for handknits, but it worked great. I let them soak for about half an hour, then rinsed them and put them up to dry. I did have to do a little additional hand-scrubbing on one black grease spot my husband somehow got on a Storm MCB, but it came right out with a bit of gentle scrubbing with extra soap and a toothbrush.

I did exactly what you're considering - I opened all the zippers and made sure water got into all the pockets, etc. I let it air dry upside down over a drinking glass, then I laid it flat and propped open the pockets. It was too cold and wet here at the time to let it hang outside, and my basement can be too damp to dry things quickly.

I wouldn't use Clorox or Lysol or anything like that. I think Clorox has bleach, which might leave white spots. If you're worried about germs, maybe just wash/dry two or three times, then think about re-applying NickWax to restore the water-resistant coating.
    Darcy and backpack like this.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Everything Karen said is right on. I'd add a dose or two of Mirazyme for extra freshness.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks gang.... going to do so tonight.... the MCB i noticed has super gunky stuff at the bottom of the inside... must have been some dried food that sat there a long time... looks like ill have to do that one a few times.

Appreciate the advise all!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Everything Karen said is right on. I'd add a dose or two of Mirazyme for extra freshness.
    Is it okay to add some vinegar to the wash water for disinfecting?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    Is it okay to add some vinegar to the wash water for disinfecting?
    Hmm: I don't know, actually! I've never tried it. You could try washing something small like an Organizer Pouch in vinegar and see what happens, or maybe spot test with it?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0