Any suggestions for Super Ego Strap Replacement

Are there replacement shoulder straps with shoulder pad available for an older (purchased in 2006) super ego bag? Thanks!
    Steve C.

I believe that the Shoulder Strap / Pad has never really changed - aside from the update to the Absolute Shoulder Strap and perhaps the webbing size (2" vs current 1 1/2").

You can purchase replacement Shoulder Straps / Pads under the Accessories section at the top of the TB website - you will find the Absolute Shoulder Strap, QAM Shoulder Strap and Simple Shoulder Strap sold separately there.

Three options I can see if the connector for the shoulder strap on your Super Ego is a buckle you thread webbing through:

1) If you continue to use the buckle connector - you can use the Q-AM Shoulder Strap or convert the Absolute Shoulder Strap and remove the end clips. I do not think you can do that with the Simple Shoulder Strap.

2) Purchase 'Cheater D-Rings' (in the accessories section, click on Parts). There are 2 sizes - 1.5 inches for current bags and 2 inches for older bags (may apply to you). These change the connector for the Super Ego from a threaded buckle to a clip system so you can use the Absolute Shoulder Strap or Simple Shoulder Strap.

3) If you want to use the Q-AM Shoulder Strap and a clip system, you can purchase the 'Cheater D-Rings' and 2 '1-1/2" Metal Snaphooks'. You will also need 2 1-1/2" Tri Glides which TB may have as well (just ask) or you should be able to get it from an Outdoor store like MEC or Europe Bound. Basically, you thread the Tri Glides and then the Snaphook through the webbing and then bring the webbing back into the Tri Glide. Look at the pictures of the Absolute Shoulder Strap and you will see what I mean. Also see the post in the How To ... forum section "How to properly thread shoulder strap loose ends.

I have done the above three options for my Ego. I find I like the orginal buckle connector if I am going to use the bag true messenger style over my back with the stablizer strap. If over the shoulder, the snapclips are good.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers!

Forgot to mention:

I prefer the Q-AM Shoulder Strap for my Ego Messenger bag as it is very comfortable like the Absolute Shoulder Strap and I have the option to use it true messenger style with the stabilizer Strap. Absolute Shoulder Strap is a good second and good if using the bag over the shoulder.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I believe that the Shoulder Strap / Pad has never really changed - aside from the update to the Absolute Shoulder Strap and perhaps the webbing size (2" vs current 1 1/2").

You can purchase replacement Shoulder Straps / Pads under the Accessories section at the top of the TB website - you will find the Absolute Shoulder Strap, QAM Shoulder Strap and Simple Shoulder Strap sold separately there.

Three options I can see if the connector for the shoulder strap on your Super Ego is a buckle you thread webbing through:

1) If you continue to use the buckle connector - you can use the Q-AM Shoulder Strap or convert the Absolute Shoulder Strap and remove the end clips. I do not think you can do that with the Simple Shoulder Strap.

2) Purchase 'Cheater D-Rings' (in the accessories section, click on Parts). There are 2 sizes - 1.5 inches for current bags and 2 inches for older bags (may apply to you). These change the connector for the Super Ego from a threaded buckle to a clip system so you can use the Absolute Shoulder Strap or Simple Shoulder Strap.

3) If you want to use the Q-AM Shoulder Strap and a clip system, you can purchase the 'Cheater D-Rings' and 2 '1-1/2" Metal Snaphooks'. You will also need 2 1-1/2" Tri Glides which TB may have as well (just ask) or you should be able to get it from an Outdoor store like MEC or Europe Bound. Basically, you thread the Tri Glides and then the Snaphook through the webbing and then bring the webbing back into the Tri Glide. Look at the pictures of the Absolute Shoulder Strap and you will see what I mean. Also see the post in the How To ... forum section "How to properly thread shoulder strap loose ends.

I have done the above three options for my Ego. I find I like the orginal buckle connector if I am going to use the bag true messenger style over my back with the stablizer strap. If over the shoulder, the snapclips are good.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers!
    Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for!
    Steve c.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec View Post
    Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for!
    Steve c.
    Hi, just to add to the information tpnl gave, I believe you have the older design Super Ego with the wider (2") strap. They first came out with these adapters ("Cheater D Rings" in th above post) so the older bags could use the newer straps. I'll point you to a couple of old forum threads so you can see what these look like on the bags, though the design may have changed slightly. Here's the Adapter thread from 2007 that shows the Adapter used with the ID bag, so the Absolute Strap can be attached. And here is the Super Ego Strap Slides thread from 2009 that contains an explanation and links.

I use the Absolute Strap with my (old style) ID bag, and the Q-AM strap on my Imago. The Q-AM strap is padded along the length that rests across you body, so it may, indeed, be more comfortable for you. However, it seems to provoke a love/hate reaction. I did find that you have to initially play with the adjustment to get the fit right, which you don't really have to do for the Absolute strap.

HTH.

moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0