Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Small or Medium Cafe Bag?

Small or Medium Cafe Bag?

Hi there!

I'm considering getting a cafe bag to use as a purse, but I'm not sure which size.

I generally have a 27-ounce Klean Kanteen water bottle and two 3D organizer cubes in my purse. Would a small be a good fit? I'm worried the water bottle may be too tall. It's about 10" tall.

Thanks!
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

If I recall correctly, you can fit a 27-oz KK in the SCB but with that and the 3D cubes, you won't be able to get much else in. The MCB will definitely take the bottle and cubes and leave you room for other stuff as well. Good luck!

Thanks! There isn't anything else I put in my purse, so that leaves me leaning toward the smaller, cuter bag.

You're welcome! I think that you should wait for others to weigh in on it before you pull the trigger. I don't have a SCB at the moment so I'm working off memory. I agree, the SCBs are quite adorable. If nothing else, I am positive that a 17-oz KK will fit in either the S or MCB.

They're on backorder for another month anyway, so plenty of time for other opinions.

I'm sorry to say that I was wrong. I asked around and was told that the SCB will hold the 27-oz KK, but that the top of the bottle extends beyond the opening of the bag. You can still snap the flap closure shut, but the bottle will cause the flap to tent up. Maybe getting the low-profile lid (flat cap) would help; or, if you really want the SCB, get it and just downsize to the 17-oz KK. In saying this, I know it's a pain to have to refill the little dinky bottle multiple times a day.

I feel like a jerk for getting your hopes up

I own both the SCB and the MCB. To help put it in perspective, I can fit a file folder in my MCB but not in my SCB. You might be happier with the MCB.

Badger: I'm sure, with time, I'll be able to forgive you. . Thanks for the follow-up. The size of my bottle is non-negotiable for me, but I do have the Reflect which has that flat bamboo top. So I'd say this is still a possibility.

bunchgrass: Thanks for the input; the perspective does help.

I'm starting to think I'll need to wait until I'm in Seattle and just go test-drive some bags at the store. My minimalist heart is set on the smaller bag, but if I can't fit my bottle then it's not useful. And who knows, maybe the medium won't seem so huge when I see it in person.

You could try making paper templates of the bags you are considering. See if doing that provides resolution for the questions/concerns you have with fitting in your important stuff.

I have done that with the organizer pouches. It gave me a clearer picture of what sizes would do the job for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I tried the SCB and it was perfect for my iPad mini in a sleeve, organizer wallet, glasses case, and iPhone 5 - and not much more! I also loved the small size, but exchanged it for the MCB in anticipation of an upcoming trip. The MCB fits the above mentioned items plus a sandwich or other miscellaneous items needed for travel. At first I thought the MCB was giant! but I have grown to love it as my EDB. Even when not full it conforms nicely to the body and is not intrusive. I've come to appreciate the extra space!

I have both the SCB and MCB. I use the SCB as my everyday purse, and the MCB when I'm travelling or wanting to bring just a few folders of reading home from work instead of my computer backpack.

I don't have a Klean Kanteen, so I've used my Bios H2O bottle instead. It's 9.25" to the bottle top, and 11.25" tall with the blue cap. Here's a picture of it with the SCB and MCB. (I put a yellow file folder in the MCB to provide contrast.)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  107.6 KB

Here's the water bottle inside each bag:
Views: 408
Size:  91.9 KB

Views: 419
Size:  111.2 KB

Views: 412
Size:  98.1 KB

I've got more pictures, but I exceed my limit in this post. TBC...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hamiltee; 10-24-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Here's the inside look at my everyday SCB contents:
Views: 418
Size:  133.0 KB

Views: 455
Size:  148.6 KB

Those are mini and small OPs. The Stuff Sack is #2. I keep a 5"x7" notebook, checkbooks, pens, other papers, etc., inside the SS. The white eyeglass case is pretty chunky, almost the same diameter as the water bottle. The SCB is pretty roomy. In addition to those normal contents, I can fit other items on the top, such as a yogurt from Starbucks in the morning. :-) I really like my SCB as an EDC.

I don't have any 3D organizer cubes, so I can't comment on those. I may have a small Eagle Creek cube of similar size, but I'll have to find it first.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by hamiltee; 10-23-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Stuff sack inside the SCB? Brilliant! I'm going to try that out this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Stuff sack inside the SCB? Brilliant! I'm going to try that out this evening.
    I love my Azalea/Sapphire SCB, but now I want a couple of stuff sacks too (and maybe a MCB)! Have to make the shipping charge worth it, after all.

snowbot, I really like the stuff sack as an organizer in my SCB. I just want to corral my stuff in a slightly smaller space, and don't need the security of a zippered bag like a 3D organizer cube. Additionally, I can easily access everything in the SS while keeping it in my SCB. I don't have a Size 1 SS, but I'd like to know how those might work in the SCB. I sense a future TB purchase...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0