Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My TB Shopping List

Question My TB Shopping List

Ok, so I'm about 99% set on a bit of a shopping spree on TB next month. I'm planning on upping my travelling significantly (leisure) so want something stylish and long lasting. Here's what I've got so far:

1x Aeronaut
    1x Cache (size 1)
    1x Absolute Strap
    1x Aeronaut large packing cube
    1x Aeronaut end pocket packing cube
    1x Medium org pouch
    1x Large org pouch
    1x Key strap

Thing is that I'm planning a trip to the States in December, so I'm going to get this little lot shipped to my sister's place in SF and pick it up there, so I get to try it out immediately for the return flight home. But I also get to immediately regret not buying something I should have, so is there anything in particular missing from that list?

I'm also contemplating throwing a Tristar (and at least 1 packing cube) onto the list as I'm hoping to get more business travel next year, and I think perhaps the TS make a more professional statement. Most of what I've listed above fits nicely into the TS too, right? I'd prefer not to get home, and realise that I love my Aeronaut, but it's sort of unsuitable for business travel and end up paying a lot more for customs clearance to get a new TS delivered to Ireland.

So if I add a TS and packing cube to that list, again am I missing anything significant?

Tks for the help.

Clear quarter packing cube

Many many uses, for example I use it inflight in the seat pocket. Holds the quart liquid baggie easily (moisturiser, lip balm, perfume, toothpaste, cosmetics) on one side, take that in/out at security checks. In the same side there's other assorted sundries like tissues, tooth brush.

Flip it over and other side holds phone, earbuds, charger, candies, a pen. Pop into the seat pocket and all is easily accessible. The fabric hook is so handy as a grab handle while walking up and down and in the plane bathroom there's usually a fold down hook.

When at my destination I take the phone etc out of that side and fill with cosmetics/face towel/jewellery/accessories/hairbrush/clothes etc for use whilst in the bathroom.

Have also used it as the dedicated "charger bag". One side laptop mains power charger, flip it over for universal plug adaptor with phone charger and backup Powermonkey Discovery.

Look at the packing cube backpack and shoulder bag. They're both very useful and do double duty.

I would base your Tri-Star decision more on how much stuff you need to take (the Aeronaut is big) and how you like to pack (the big open Aeronaut versus the Tri-Star's separate compartments). I don't think there's anything the least bit unprofessional about the Aeronaut, but that is of course a matter of opinion.

I generally prefer two small packing cubes to one large in the Aeronaut, as it adds a bit of compartmentalization; stuff sacks are also good for the same reason. I also like to take a large stuff sack as a laundry bag, and an all-fabric end-pocket packing cube for an extra pair of shoes. I use a 3D clear organizer cube as a 3-1-1 bag and a small clear organizer pouch for most of my tech stuff. (My full-length iPad cord requires a medium OP of its own, if I take it.) My Swift is usually my seat-side bag in the car or on the plane, but can also go in the Aeronaut.

instead of:

I'd go with
    1 Aeronaut PCBP (same usage as Aeronaut large packing cube)
    1 Aeronaut shpolder PC. (same as Aeronaut end pocket packing cube)
    add more straps , you'll use it..
    add side effect in Dyneema. same color as in your aeronaut. it will hold all small items.

Thanks for all the info, folks. I should add I've got some Eagle Star packing cubes and tubes from a recent one-bag attempt and a packable daypack that folds up pretty small, so they're options too.

Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    Clear quarter packing cube
    Have to admit I completely missed this in my trawling of the site, so have added one, tks.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I would base your Tri-Star decision more on how much stuff you need to take (the Aeronaut is big) and how you like to pack (the big open Aeronaut versus the Tri-Star's separate compartments). I don't think there's anything the least bit unprofessional about the Aeronaut, but that is of course a matter of opinion.
    Good point. I settled on the Aeronaut over the TS after reading quite a few forum posts (which is where I also got the impression that it didn't look "professional"). If I get it in a dark enough colour it should look fine. I think personally the TS demands a packing style and organisation that is beyond me at the moment.

I generally prefer two small packing cubes to one large in the Aeronaut, as it adds a bit of compartmentalization; stuff sacks are also good for the same reason. I also like to take a large stuff sack as a laundry bag, and an all-fabric end-pocket packing cube for an extra pair of shoes. I use a 3D clear organizer cube as a 3-1-1 bag and a small clear organizer pouch for most of my tech stuff. (My full-length iPad cord requires a medium OP of its own, if I take it.) My Swift is usually my seat-side bag in the car or on the plane, but can also go in the Aeronaut.
    I had both a stuff sack and a clear org.cube on my list for a while, but demoted them, swapping them for a laundry bag from my hotel and a ziplock bag respectively. Bad/crazy decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    Look at the packing cube backpack and shoulder bag. They're both very useful and do double duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
    instead of:

I'd go with
    1 Aeronaut PCBP (same usage as Aeronaut large packing cube)
    1 Aeronaut shpolder PC. (same as Aeronaut end pocket packing cube)
    add more straps , you'll use it..
    add side effect in Dyneema. same color as in your aeronaut. it will hold all small items.
    Tks both, I am vacillating mightily between cubes with or without straps. If I follow terayon's advice of 2 small cubes vs a large cube, and bijoux's advice of a clear quarter cube (which I think I'd prefer over the end cube), I'm not sure there's any way of having a shoulder or back pack too.

(Of course, nobody ever died from having too many packing cubes, although I've not watched all episodes of Hoarders )

The hotel laundry bag and ziplock will get the job done just fine. The large stuff sack and 3D org cube are just more durable.

Thanks again, terayon. Here's my list now:

Aeronaut
    Cache
    Absolute Strap
    Packing cubes (2 small)
    Padded organiser pouch (mini)
    Clear organiser pouch (med, large)
    Clear qtr packing cube
    Packing cube backpack
    Key straps (2, jic)

Lookin' good?

If not too late: don't forget a travel tray! Maybe also a 3D organizer cube for toiletries and a pocket pouch or organizer wallet for card sized things

I agree on the packing cube shoulder bag and backpack, they really are as great as they say they are. If one of the clear organizer pouches isn't for travel documents and passport think about adding one with a long keystrap for the zippered slash pocket on the end of the aeronaut.

Finally +1 on the solid end pocket packing cube for shoes and lots of key-straps!

I admit I'm not sure I see the benefit of the travel tray except when going through security, but I'll see about adding it. I like your idea of a zippered pocket for the end of the aeronaut though, any idea what size of pouch would fit nicely into the end pockets?

The RFID passport holder fits and it fits A4 letter folded in thirds and folded again, the small and pen/pencil size also work but are smaller than envelope size. It would be nice to have one with an internal dimensions of 400mm x 230mm (roughly 4"x9") so it fits letter sized paper folded in thirds but alas none exist quite yet.

I actually rarely use the travel tray through security, I have a zippered pocket hooded sweatshirt or jacket that I empty my pockets into, I just find it great for around the hotel for the nightstand, keeping track of change, odds and ends and phone chargers so in the morning it is just zip and go

When I'm not on the road I keep it in my gear bag for emptying my pockets before I throw on a harness but even non-harnessy types would find it handy for things like wristwatches and/or jewelry at the pool/gym.
    Last edited by Miking; 10-20-2013 at 02:25 AM.

The Aeronaut in ballistic nylon looks quite professional as long as it's not overpacked. I don't think you need to worry there.

I would throw in a clear/Dyneema pencil pouch.
    Last edited by snowbot; 10-20-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff

If you're considering the 3D clear organiser and more key straps ...

The Aeronaut end slash zip pocket accommodates the 3D clear organiser on a long 16" key strap nicely. If planning to use that as your quart liquids bag it's a good idea through security a) stays attached to your bag b) only unzip an outer pocket to access and the way I carry it usually closest to my right hand therefore easiest to take out.

You can push it to the end of the pocket and shove wallet/ things from the security tub/ passport/ boarding pass on top as you clear security.

Also, a 8" key strap is attached to the flap of my Aeronaut, where the mesh is... both clips hooked into the hole of the zip pull. Makes life easy, accessing often, because I use this area for passport, booking printouts, itinerary, receipts of the day. And the small key strap can be switched to another O ring or another one of your pouches.

The hotel laundry bag and ziplock will get the job done just fine. The large stuff sack and 3D org cube are just more durable.
    I was right proud of myself when I figured out that a stuff sack (large solar, in our case) would work fabulously for dirty laundry, particularly if you are moving from lodging to lodging. Hotel laundry bags and/or supermarket plastic bags have not cut it for us. In our travels, Mr. Monkey Lady absolutely hates to handwash his clothes, so he tries to either stuff dirty laundry into a bag not meant for stuffing or leaves them draped around our room. This past trip, I invited him to use my solar stuff sack and he was happy to do so. The bag didn't rip open; clothes weren't lying around; and Mr. Monkeylady exhibited a level of tidiness heretofore unknown to me. It was a magic moment. He will be getting his own dirty laundry stuff sack for Christmas.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by i_clavdivs View Post
    I admit I'm not sure I see the benefit of the travel tray except when going through security, but I'll see about adding it. I like your idea of a zippered pocket for the end of the aeronaut though, any idea what size of pouch would fit nicely into the end pockets?
    I am coming to the defense of the travel tray, my very first purchase (at TB store). I use it everyday. At home, it sits on my small nightstand. In it, I place eyeglasses and case, hearing aids and case, ear plugs (seems counterintuitive, doesn't it?), small Fenix flashlight, my watch. In the morning and at bedtime, I know where every essential element is. Living in earthquake country, it seemed smart to have things at hand when/if the big one strikes.

When traveling, in it all the above, plus my headlight, meds, charger cables for Ipad mini and Iphone. When I arrive at my destination I do not have to unpack everything (unless I want to) to find these things until morning. We frequently stay in modest eco-lodges that have very modest furniture. Tiny nightstands are de rigur if we are lucky to have one at all. The travel tray keeps my things corraled. Just saying....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0