Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By peregrina
  • 1 Post By Miking

Thread: Synapse on the Camino?

Synapse on the Camino?

I want this to be me next year but with a Synapse 25.

Name:  Camino-de-Santiago-2005-1641-1024x560.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  279.9 KB

Here's a sample packing list . Disclaimer: I would NOT be bringing any of the electronics listed or a pair of jeans. The only electronic I would bring is a small camera. I wonder if this kind of trip - what essentially amounts to a series of day hikes, in which you carry a couple changes of clothes, a poncho, a light sleeping bag but no pots, pans, extra food, etc, that you would need when camping, could be done on a Synapse 25.
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

(The packing list in the link was hilarious. What, you're not taking 400 rocks with you? )

For a number of years, I've been considering walking a leg of the Camino as a penance, so I've given this some thought. The answer I've arrived at is this: sure, I could do it with a Synapse, but I could also go the whole way on my knees, you know what I mean? Regardless of the route you take, you will be walking for about 15 miles a day on variable terrain. Personally, I'd hate to go days on end without a pack with a hip belt to relieve pressure on the shoulders and neck. I'm sure an S25 could do the job, but then again, if you're investing in a pack for the trip anyway, it makes sense to get one that was designed for the activity you're doing.

Who knows, though; perhaps in the next few months Tom will unveil a hiking-specific pack. Fingers crossed.

I'm also determined that my pack should not weight more than 10lb - 12lb if I really must but 10 lb would be preferable.
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

When I've packed my S19 for weekend trips, it's weighed in at 11 lbs - mostly filled with clothes and toiletries, very light on the electronics (cell phone + charger, iPod Nano + charger). Keeping an S25 under that weight seems like it would be tough.

I'm not a hiker, but I've dreamed of doing the Camino. I'd love to see you pull it off with the S25 and I'm excited to read what others have to say about the idea...

The S19 would be the absolute limit for this. Although I have not walked the Camino de Santiago, I was at Santiago de Compostela last year and I got to speak to several seasoned hikers. A constant among them was a very light load no more than one change of clothes. You may be able to find toiletries and posadas along the way. You can always take more, but this actually defeats the purpose. Good luck, this is on our list in a couple of years starting at Oviedo.

Quote Originally Posted by yohopee View Post
    The S19 would be the absolute limit for this. Although I have not walked the Camino de Santiago, I was at Santiago de Compostela last year and I got to speak to several seasoned hikers. A constant among them was a very light load no more than one change of clothes. You may be able to find toiletries and posadas along the way. You can always take more, but this actually defeats the purpose. Good luck, this is on our list in a couple of years starting at Oviedo.
    Funny, I was just talking about the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela and their swinging incense burner last night, 160lb censer with 40 lbs of burning charcoal and incense swinging at 50 miles per hour 70 feet in the air from a hemp rope rigged up to 700 year old compound drum... What could possibly go wrong?

Too funny! I heard about that while I visited the Cathedral. I'd love to see the spectacle, from waaaay back there.

Volunteer Moderator
    Where would you be planning to start from, and which of the routes would you take? (I know you mentioned this as a month long trek, since I flagged your first comment about this in another thread).

I would start from St Jean Pied de Port on the French side of the border and take the Camino Frances. We wont be able to do the whole thing next year as I dont think I'll be able to be away for more than 2 weeks so we'll do 2 weeks... I've looked at many packing lists and they are waaay fewer items than what I normally bring in my Aeronaut when I travel for a month; yet everyone seem to suggest you need a bag that's 40l or more. I'm sure I could use a smaller bag! I definitely dont want to get a bag that weighs 4lb empty!