Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By RDR3
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By dchang0
  • 2 Post By matsui

Thread: Two-night business trips - Synapse 19 or 25?

Two-night business trips - Synapse 19 or 25?

Hey all

I already have a Tri Star for 4/5 night trips, but it seems too big for one/two night trips so I'm thinking a Synapse will be a better bag.

On those one/two night trips, I usually just need laptop (macbook air 11), power supply, a couple of shirts, underwear, basic toiletries and a few miscellaneous items. Sometimes I'll pack running shoes too.

Can I comfortably get away with the 19 or is it going to be a squeeze?

Would love to hear experiences. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenriise View Post
    Yes ;-)

I've had my Synapse 19 for about six weeks now and I've used it for two weekend (2-3 day) trips. I can easily fit clothes for 2-3 days (women's M-L) with the use of a packing cube (mine isn't TB; it measures about 14"x10"x3" and it does the trick) along with toiletries, reading material, and a few other odds and ends. However, the only shoes I've packed have been lightweight sandals. I think running shoes along with everything else would be difficult to squeeze in.

I don't have any experience with the Synapse 25 (the S19 is my first and only TB bag... so far), but my guess is that might better suit your needs to accommodate bulkier items like the running shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by kenriise View Post
    Hey all

I already have a Tri Star for 4/5 night trips, but it seems too big for one/two night trips so I'm thinking a Synapse will be a better bag.

On those one/two night trips, I usually just need laptop (macbook air 11), power supply, a couple of shirts, underwear, basic toiletries and a few miscellaneous items. Sometimes I'll pack running shoes too.

Would love to hear experiences. Thanks
    I am 4'11 (1/2)" and found the S19 a tight squeeze for two nights and needed to pack a pack it 15 folder so I took the S25. I squeezed my 5 1/2 size shoes into the front bottom compartment.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    Yes ;-)

I've had my Synapse 19 for about six weeks now and I've used it for two weekend (2-3 day) trips. I can easily fit clothes for 2-3 days (women's M-L) with the use of a packing cube (mine isn't TB; it measures about 14"x10"x3" and it does the trick) along with toiletries, reading material, and a few other odds and ends. However, the only shoes I've packed have been lightweight sandals. I think running shoes along with everything else would be difficult to squeeze in.

I don't have any experience with the Synapse 25 (the S19 is my first and only TB bag... so far), but my guess is that might better suit your needs to accommodate bulkier items like the running shoes.
    I would say, yes, for everything but the running shoes. If you have the medium size packing cube for the Tri-Star, you can use that inside the Synapse 19. I'm 4 inches taller than RDR3 (5'3.5") with a 51/2 or 6 shoe size, and I can pack one of my soft loafer style flats in the bottom pocket of the Synapse 19, but it's a squeeze. RDR3 is correct that if you want to use a pack-it folder, you'll need the Synapse 25, which can easily fit a 15" Eagle Creek Pack-it folder.my photos of this are in the Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder thread.

Here's another suggestion: if the running shoes are only an occasional travel item, and you like the idea of the Synapse 19, could you use a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in addition to the Synapse 19 for those occasions when you want to also bring along your running shoes? The PCSB is close in size to the Aeronaut end pocket packing cubes, though perhaps not quite as long as the end pockets, where lots of Aeronaut users stash their shoes. If the PCSB isn't large enough, I find that many things, including shoes, can be fit into a Shop Bag, and I generally carry a small Shop Bag in the right side pocket of the Synapse 19. (This is the side pocket without the pen and pencil slots.) (For foreign travel, that Shop Bag may sit in the side pocket rolled around a Monster Outlets to Gi Travel Power Strip.)

The PCSB is more convenient, if the size works for you, because you can use it as another packing cube, or even leave it unfilled in your Synapse, for use at your destination, or carry it cross body while wearing your Synapse 19, if you want. But the Shop Back holds a lot, and is very multi-purpose for carrying all sorts of items, or for picking up some items if you go shopping at your destination. Again, you could pull it out and carry your running shoes in it while carrying the Synapse 19 on your back. Just not as streamlined a solution.

As you may guess, I have both the Synapse 19 and the Synapse 25. I do find the extra Synapse 25 capacity useful if I need to carry more items (like two laptops plus electronics), and if you want extra space for packing, or to use a Pack-It sleeve, it works quite well. For most purposes, I can use my Synapse 19. The Synapse 25 can fit in my Little Swift, if needed, and I can also fit the LS in the center section of the Tri-Star.

HTH. There are a number of posts, with images, of the Synapse19 used for overnight travel, as well as Lani's use if it for 1 bag travel for a week trip to Japan.
    RDR3 likes this.

I have used my Synapse 19 for trips up to 4 days and it has worked well for me. If I have to take a bit more, I will also take my co-pilot. I have a post on the packing list subforum with my list and pictures. I have another 4 day trip next week and I plan to just take my Synapse 19 only. I also use the tri-star medium packing cube in it.

Sue

Here is one of my posts with a picture: Synapse 19 waist strap hack

Here is another post with pictures of what I packed: Four day conference in a Synapse
    Last edited by Canonsue; 10-10-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

I did a 3 day trip with the S19 and took some slip on tennies (sort of Vans style) but I think that full sized running shoes would have stopped me. I had 2 shirts, socks and underwear, gym shorts and a Tshirt and toiletries but I only carried an iPad Mini.

If you can hang your shoes off the outside of your pack (best inside of a packing cube or bag designed for the purpose), then the 19 would be fine. I do this frequently with my size 10 shoes, which seem to be too large for almost any bag, including the fairly large Tri-Star.

I usually use an Eagle Creek zippered pouch for my more rigid shoes, but my softer shoes have fit into my Tom Bihn Shoulder Bag/Packing Cube. Either one can clip on to my backpack with one or two S-biners.
    RDR3 likes this.

Yam
    Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    If you can hang your shoes off the outside of your pack (best inside of a packing cube or bag designed for the purpose), then the 19 would be fine. I do this frequently with my size 10 shoes, which seem to be too large for almost any bag, including the fairly large Tri-Star.

I usually use an Eagle Creek zippered pouch for my more rigid shoes, but my softer shoes have fit into my Tom Bihn Shoulder Bag/Packing Cube. Either one can clip on to my backpack with one or two S-biners.
    Where do you clip it? I've been trying to figure out how to hang my helmet on my S25.

Quote Originally Posted by Yam View Post
    Where do you clip it? I've been trying to figure out how to hang my helmet on my S25.
    I would go with a western flyer as more versatile. You will soon find there are some trips where the tristar is too big and synapse a bit small side, like if you need an extra pair of shoes or some extra work material. There would hardly be a short trip the WF would not be okay for, but there may be one where synapse might be a struggle.
    dorayme and RDR3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yam View Post
    Hmm. If you mean a motorcycle helmet, there may be nowhere to hang it comfortably. A bicycle helmet would probably work okay because it is so light.

There are two ways to hang my shoe pouch: either off the top grab handle with a large S-biner, where it hangs down the front of the bag, behind me (but it flops around because size 10 shoes are kinda heavy), or by using two large S-biners, hanging it by and between the bottoms of the shoulder straps, just under the bottom of the bag, above my butt. Basically, that's a common location for hanging a bedroll under a hiking pack--I use S-biners to create the loops that are normally sewn there on such packs. Note, by "large S-biner," I mean the one that's about 4 to 5 inches long. I don't know the official size of it--it's just the biggest size I own. A shorter, smaller S-biner would make it harder or impossible to clip some pouches because they don't reach.

If you are talking about a bicycle helmet, I think draping the helmet over the top of the bag from the grab handle will work. You may need to secure the helmet at a second point--it might work to clip the straps of the helmet to a zipper pull, but then again, that may still not be enough to keep it steady. It might also work if you hung it upside down from the bottom of the shoulder straps, but that would probably make sitting difficult.

It's too bad the S25 is so tall. If you can somehow make use of the webbing loop at the very bottom-center of the front of the bag, you could use that point and the top grab handle as the two points to strap the helmet across the front of the bag, keeping it off your back. It may take some sort of long piece of webbing with clips, sort of like a TB keystrap but maybe tougher/wider/thicker. Or maybe try this:

S-biner at the top hanging off of grab handle--hang helmet on S-biner. Then, use a short length of bungee-hooked cord at the bottom to put tension on the helmet and hold it in place. 6" or 8" with plastic hooks would likely work.

Or, you could get one of these adjustable bungees and run it from the top of the grab handle to the webbing at the bottom, through the vents in the bicycle helmet:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-Ad...0#.UluN4RYTtcw

Or even this six-armed bungee, which could be hooked at at least four points--the top grab handle, the bottom webbing, and the two bottoms of the shoulder straps:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-6-...5#.UluNARYTtcw
    Last edited by dchang0; 10-13-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Yam
    Hey, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of using the bottom webbing loop as well since it was so far, but a bungee type thing (or just something the right length) could do the trick quite nicely. I'll have to see how it works out.

Oh and yes, I just meant a bicycle helmet =).

Hey, check this video out for an Osprey bag bicycle helmet attachment:

Osprey LidLock Helmet Attachment eBags Video

I wonder if there's a way to copy the idea for the S19 or S25... Pretty clever design. Hey, maybe TB could make this a feature of future Synapses? Hint, hint!

But for you, Yam, who already own an S25, maybe you can buy two of the Osprey attachments (if it isn't permanently affixed to their bag), tie one to the bottom webbing of the S25 and one to the grab handle. Then, use both of them to pull the helmet in opposing directions, securing the helmet. Pretty much the same mechanics as the bungee + S-biner solution, but with something that's purpose-made for bicycle helmets.

If Osprey doesn't sell that attachment separately, how hard could it be to make your own? Thin bungee cord is cheap and easy to find, so all you need is the plastic ellipse... There are probably plenty of plastic items that are pretty close in size and shape, including perhaps a earbud cord wrap, etc. You basically need something that will go through the vents in a helmet without turning on its own and popping out. Even a straight golf pencil could do the trick, if wrapped with the bungee properly.

Or, maybe even a monkey's fist knot tied in one end of the bungee, onto which you loop the other end of the bungee itself after passing it through the vents.

Lots of ways to pull this off, I think!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0