Ristretto and Occasionally Carrying a 15" MBP

I did a search but couldn't find an answer to my question, so I'm hoping someone out there could help.

My scenario:
    I use my Co-Pilot as an EDC but occassionally have to carry my work laptop home with me (a 15" MPB). I have a nice slim incase bag that works as my laptop bag and it fits nicely into my Tri-Star when traveling. In my CoPilot, I carry a bunch of edc items (glasses, headphones, work badge, gum, etc.), my iPad, my Moleskine journal and a few other misc items. My personal computer is a 13" MBA and I occasionally take it with me.

I know the Ristretto for MBA will work for my EDC and my personal electronics, but I was wondering, if it would work for my occasional need to take my work MBP home, even if somewhat inelegantly.

• Could I slip my MBP into the Ristretto padded section and will the top close?
    • Is the Ristretto wide enough to manage the 15" MPB?

I had a very similar ask a few months ago and did some research and it looks like it may not fit well. When I emailed the TB crew, they thought so as well.

TB Crew – I had one question – is there enough room in front of the laptop compartment to hold a larger laptop in a thin sleeve? Essentially, one would not use the laptop compartment for the laptop.

When I did some research, I found the following forum posts useful:
    Ristretto 13" and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon - Flap issue but a laptop 0.2” longer did just fit
    Ristretto 13" - will it fit my laptop? – 0.2” above 12.8” is ok confirmed by TB Crew
    Large Ristretto Messenger – TB Crew – Kathy said her 15”MBP did not fit and some old plans to create a larger Ristretto – but I was emailed recently that there were no plans.

Other similar ideas that may give some confidence that it could fit but tightly and with caveats (sticks out somewhat, may not be protected as much, etc.)

Ristretto internal sizes - 13" Mac in 11" bag? - it can fit
    Ristretto for 13" MacBook Pro Video 2nd try – good video if you want to see the relative size of things
    What is everyone using for their 15" MacBook Pro? Would like a Ristretto this size...
    Ristretto 13" review/sizing

Ok. Thanks. This helps. I was hoping this would work.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    TB Crew – I had one question – is there enough room in front of the laptop compartment to hold a larger laptop in a thin sleeve? Essentially, one would not use the laptop compartment for the laptop.
    There's going to be slightly more room in that area in front of Ristretto's interior Cache, though probably not enough to store something substantially larger than what can fit in the specified laptop compartment already. In the 13-inch Ristretto, for instance, you could fit a laptop and sleeve that measured out to be about 10.5" x 13.5" in that space.

FYI

In one of the Ristretto for 13" MBP or Air reviews, there are some comments at the end on fitting a 15" MBP:

My Perfect Travel*Bag - My Blog - The Mac Screencast Guy

Basically, with no sleeve, it fit for the reviewer and he might do this "in a pinch" which I translate to "occassionally" as per the title of this post - but it is at your own risk.
    As per the reviewer, not recommended for long term use or for long trips as it puts your expensive machine in higher danger for extended time periods.
    I do not think I would do this as I lean heavily into the "not sacrificing protection" of my laptop - the TB Brain Cells are perfect - BUT, I still have a Ristretto for 15" MBP or similarly sized PC in my wish list!!

Cheers

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0