Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can the Synapse 25 be your "personal item"?

Can the Synapse 25 be your "personal item"?

Going over plans for flying to California, and wondering if the Synapse 25 would be a good personal item bag for the flight.

I have my Synapse 19 that I love, and I know that can work beautifully as a personal item, but I think I could use the extra room the 25 could provide. But is it too big to call a "personal item"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

I have much bigger backpacks that I've used as personal items on plans all over North America. Most airlines frankly aren't that strict. If you can fit both items into the overhead bin and under the seat, they typically won't make you gate check anything (YMMV).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I used my Synapse 25 as my one bag for a 5 day trip, and it'll be my one bag for 10 days in Italy. I stored it under the seat.

Technically, the Synapse 25 is probably too big to count as a "personal item". But whether that is enforced will depend on the airline, how full the flight is, how large your carry-on is, your elite status level, and how good of day the gate agent has had.

It's still smaller than the duffle bag some women call a purse.

One other point: on a recent international flight, my Smart Alec did not fit far enough under the seat in front of to remain there for takeoff and landing. There is a downside to seat-back entertainment systems.

A lot may depend on whether you overstuff the bag or not. I was on a flight once and a co-worker was forced to check his carry on while I wasn’t even though my bag was larger. Since he had a smaller bag it was really bulging and I guess it caught their attention.

This is very helpful, thanks, you guys!

I'm thinking this is a good excuse to get a Dyneema Synapse 19. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nordic Dyneema Smart Alec, and have long been convinced that I would use my Synapse more often if it were Dyneema. It will be a little lighter, and will hold just a little more.

And of course I should also get a 25, just to compare. But I'm waiting for the 25 to come out in Dyneema (Nordic). Do we know if that will happen?
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    And of course I should also get a 25, just to compare. But I'm waiting for the 25 to come out in Dyneema (Nordic). Do we know if that will happen?
    Depends when the TB team gets a new shipment of Nordic Dyneema in from Japan. As you may or may not have seen, Nordic was officially discontinued until there was a reprieve of sorts. No firm plans have been made about when or what will be available in Nordic when it comes back. Hopefully whatever styles it used to be offered in, but if the new bags Tom is tinkering with are super awesome (naturally, right?), then I'd settle for steering the Nordic production to those.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

NORDIC IS ON HIATUS? INDEFINITELY?

AAHHHHHHH! Synapse 19 in Nordic, MY DARLING! I WILL ORDER YOU NOW!

Edited to add: DONE. Okay. Well, that's taken care of. I don't know how I missed the notification that Nordic was leaving.
    Last edited by Hollie; 10-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Going over plans for flying to California, and wondering if the Synapse 25 would be a good personal item bag for the flight.

I have my Synapse 19 that I love, and I know that can work beautifully as a personal item, but I think I could use the extra room the 25 could provide. But is it too big to call a "personal item"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    What airline are you using?

NORDIC IS ON HIATUS? INDEFINITELY?

AAHHHHHHH! Synapse 19 in Nordic, MY DARLING! I WILL ORDER YOU NOW!

Edited to add: DONE. Okay. Well, that's taken care of. I don't know how I missed the notification that Nordic was leaving.

You will be delighted with the Synapse 19 in Nordic, it is definitely is ok as a personal item.

We and the Crew are waiting for a new batch of Nordic to be produced and also Tom's new designs.

Exiting time!
    Last edited by backpack; 10-07-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    What airline are you using?
    We'll be on Alaska. I get that airlines fly all over, but it still amuses me that we're taking Alaska Airlines to fly from Washington to California.

I put my order in today, with Beau, who was very patient when I was trying to figure out which color MCB to get. I went with Turquoise/Cayenne. I'm going to take the Synapse 19 as my personal item, with the MCB gently folded inside, and then when I get down there I'll use the MCB as my purse for wandering around, and the Synapse as needed for longer walking trips.

I agree, can't wait for the new designs!

Red face Lightly Packed Aeoronaut and Synapse 25 - No Problem on US Air

I had no problem flying a US Air Shuttle from Washington National Airport to LaGuardia NY and back again this weekend. This was my first "no check" flight. I put my electronics and camera in the Synapse 25 and carried a lightly packed Aeoronaut. I practice packed for the first time in my life.

Everything went smoothly. I've never carried on gels or liquids before but the 3:1:1 bag made it easy.

So, yes you can carry a Synapse 25 and the Aeronaut and I saw people carrying much bulkier bag combinations in the US with no problem.

The stated limit for carryon with US Air was 40 lbs. And of course the bag was supposed to fit as others have described - in the test station and below the seat and/or in the overhead.

My first trip with Tom Bihn bags. And on the trip back - my bags looked so good they screened me in first class! Perhaps they couldn't read my iPhone app boarding pass properly...
    Hollie likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    We'll be on Alaska. I get that airlines fly all over, but it still amuses me that we're taking Alaska Airlines to fly from Washington to California.

I put my order in today, with Beau, who was very patient when I was trying to figure out which color MCB to get. I went with Turquoise/Cayenne. I'm going to take the Synapse 19 as my personal item, with the MCB gently folded inside, and then when I get down there I'll use the MCB as my purse for wandering around, and the Synapse as needed for longer walking trips.

I agree, can't wait for the new designs!
    I've taken my Synapse 19 on Alaska Airlines with no problems. (This was last year, months before before Nordic made its appearance . I now also have a Synapse 19 in Nordic 400d Dyneema.)

Quote Originally Posted by iSteeve View Post
    My first trip with Tom Bihn bags. And on the trip back - my bags looked so good they screened me in first class! Perhaps they couldn't read my iPhone app boarding pass properly...
    I think this is the perfect way to persuade the hubby that we all, the whole family, need Tom Bihn bags!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0