Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By SaddleSC
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By RDR3

Thread: Western Flyer - Ballistic or Dyneema?

Western Flyer - Ballistic or Dyneema?

After hemming and hawing for what seems like forever, I recently placed an order for the Western Flyer in Nordic/UV Dyneema. I love the look of the Nordic (I have a large shop bag in that colorway), and have been wanting to purchase a piece of luggage for a long time now.

But now I'm waffling. The order is held up because I also ordered a couple of items that are currently backordered. So help me out if you would. Which bag should I choose?

Initially I selected the Nordic Dyneema for these reasons:
    1. It's gorgeous fabric
    2. I have the Imago and Synapse 19 in Navy, and I thought it would coordinate well.
    3. I'm trying to go lightweight, as I've got some recently diagnosed compressed disk problems in my neck

But here is why I'm hesitating at the last moment:
    1. I think that perhaps the Ballistic might last longer and wear better.
    2. I love Aubergine, and find it to be more neutral.
    3. Here I show my vanity: my travel clothing is almost all black/purple.

Does anyone have one of each who can share their thoughts about it? I really don't feel I can order both at this time and send one back, so I want to make certain I get the right one. My travel will be mostly recreational in nature. I do not work out of the home, but I am traveling more and more back to Kansas to check in on my widowed father, and I occasionally travel to conventions in larger hotels. I never check a bag if I can help it, so I plan on keeping my WF with me. Oh yes, one more thing. I almost always travel on those tiny little regional jets, as I fly into Wichita, KS. I appreciate your feedback very much!

Oh yes, one last item: I will be getting the WF with backpack straps, as the backpack method seems to keep me more balanced out, although I also did order the Absolute Strap to go with it.

From the horse's mouth:

Link: Introducing 400d DyneemaŽ/nylon - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

"It must be noted that while our new 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop is a very durable fabric, there is a compromise in choosing it over 1050 ballistic or CorduraŽ nylon: your bag will be lighter, but it won’t stand up to the all-out abuse these heavier fabrics can handle. You will need to exercise care and not drag or otherwise mistreat a bag made from 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop. It’s a compromise many will feel worthwhile, but it’s a compromise to consider."

Basically, it probably depends on how hard you are on your bags!

I don't have anything in the 400d dyneema, but just this week I received an aubergine/wasabi, and HOLY COW DO I LOVE THE COLORS!!

I would stick with the dyneema. It is appreciably lighter. Maybe get the steel color if you think the Nordic would clash?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I bought the WF in both and I ended up keeping the Dyneema. I appreciate the lighter weight and I find it easier to pack full because the fabric gives more, especially when using the front pockets. Unless you are in the habit of dragging your bag down the street or on the ground through the airport I don't foresee any problems with long-term durability or longevity.

I vote for Dyneema!

Nordic won't clash with anything purple, it is in the same family.

I have an Aeronaute in Ballistic and one in Dyneema.

I also have a Tristar in Ballistic and used my Brain Bag in Cordura for travel within the U.S

The difference in weight between Dyneema, Cordura and Ballistic is significant. So Dyneema would be your best bet.

Dyneema also lend itself to light packing. and. if you can do that you will not only reduce the weight (especially good to alleviate your neck problem) and make the bag easier to handle. It will also have less chance of being gate checked.

But... If you current bag gets gate checked more often than not, Aubergine Ballistic is the way to go.

When checked my Nordic Dyneema Aeronaute on my last flight, it was one of two long flights and I weas very jet lagged. I got nervous, but I think it is just me being over protective of my Tom Bihn Bags.

There is a video of the abrasive resistance of 200 D, it is very strong!

I also love both colors and feel your dilemma.

My current travel bag is the eBags Weekender MotherLode, and I have been able to just barely carry it on it as long as I haven't expanded it. I don't imagine that the WF could be required to be checked for domestic. I have no idea about international travel. I traveled to Scotland this past spring using a roller board as a check through. It is was has convinced me to go with a backpack style bag. Even though the roller board was small (I have carried it on for domestic flights) it totally tore up my shoulder.

It looks like the WF in Dyneema is a good choice for me. I will baby it as much as possible and do my utmost to never check it. Combined with my Imago (perhaps packed within the bag itself) I think it will be a winning combination.

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations! I am very much looking forward to receiving this bag!

One thing about the WF you'll notice when you get it out of the box is that it looks tiny. It can hold a surprising amount of stuff, but it really doesn't look all that much larger than a rather conservatively-sized book bag. I'd be shocked if you ever had to check it.

400d Dyneema is very tough, and I think the weight savings will be wise given your back issues. Enjoy your travels with it!

The navy and nordic actually mesh beautifully. I too wear a lot of black and the nordic looks fabulous against that dark tone.

Would that happen to be a Synapse 19 along with the Nordic? If so, I've got one of those! I'm getting excited for that bag to arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Would that happen to be a Synapse 19 along with the Nordic? If so, I've got one of those! I'm getting excited for that bag to arrive!
    It is the Navy/solar Synapse 25. I use that one when I travel. I also have the Navy/Iberian Synapse 19 that I use as a diaper bag and that one contours to my back better. I have been eyeing the Nordic WF so please post pics and let us know what you think! I'm very excited for you too!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0