Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By daisy
  • 1 Post By rabergnc

Thread: Ego on a rolling bag

Ego on a rolling bag

OK, first off, I can't get away from a rolling bag. Bad shoulder, habit, long treks thru airports, etc are my excuse. (I wish TB had one, but I get it).
    Anyway, I need a new bag to carry my business "stuff" and I'm leaning toward the Ego bag. Lots of room, pockets, organization and I like the look. What I am wondering is, how is it on top of a rolling bag? Can the waist strap be used to help keep it in place? Is it stable on it's own?
    Any comments from experienced Ego or Super Ego owners would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

If you have shoulder problems, I would think that a backpack like the Smart Alec would be a better option than a messenger-style bag like the Ego. I have the Smart Alec and find it to be the perfect travel companion. With a Vertical Brain Cell and Freudian Slip it is a great business bag, with a couple WF packing cubes it is a great 4-5 day carry on and all alone it is a great day pack.

I agree with SaddleSC. The Smart Alec is very professional looking for a backpack and I've found it to be extremely comfortable.

My Ego is my mobile office and I love it. While the Smart Alec is a great bag it wouldn't do the same job for me.

I too need to use a roller as my main bag .... I'll have a tinker and see if it can be done ... Back later ....
    List under construction ....

rolling ego...

here we go...

Ego (not filled) sitting on my (empty) 25" delsey spinner using waist strap only.
    Handle is at full extension.

IMG_2100.jpg

Now with absolute strap twisted once and looped over handle.

IMG_2101.jpg

Now with grab handle connected to spinner handle with a velcro tie thingy ... (blurry, sorry)

IMG_2102.jpg

Closeup of handle.

IMG_2103.jpg

My observations - with my usual load in the Ego - it would be quite top heavy unless I put some heavy things at the bottom of the suitcase ...

It would be easy to access things under the front flap when set up like this ...

I normally use a WF sized bag with a luggage strap around it on this suitcase (damn bag won't die so I can justify a WF of my own...)

Wow Daisy, thank you! It looks like there are options and I can make it work. I was even thinking about figuring out a way to secure the waist strap up higher on the back of the Ego.
    I have a business trip to Seattle next week, I'm looking forward to stopping in and getting the bag and some acessories.
    Thanks again!

Daisy said: "I normally use a WF sized bag with a luggage strap around it on this suitcase (damn bag won't die so I can justify a WF of my own...)"

Best way to reuse non-TB bags is to use them as grocery store bags.

Shop Bags are great and strong and my Large UV was great to get me to eat more vegetables and fruits, but now, I use it as grab out stuff when I need to get out the door fast.

As a result, I don't want it to get dirty, wet or have a sack of potatoes packed into it.

So I always make sure to bring the old travel bags/new shopping bags because it saves the planet from those awful plastic bags which are not good for wildlife and I don't have to buy reusable canvas bags which saves money so...

I can buy real luggage from Tom Bihn!

You can try something called a Bag Bungee (can see it at Magellans.com/bag-bungee). It easily attaches to a rolling bag in a couple of seconds and will securely hold a variety of bags/backpacks on top of a rolling bag. It releases and stores easily. I have one and have used it on occasion when I have needed to use a rolling bag along with a briefcase or Smart Alec.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Daisy said: "I normally use a WF sized bag with a luggage strap around it on this suitcase (damn bag won't die so I can justify a WF of my own...)"

Best way to reuse non-TB bags is to use them as grocery store bags.

Errr... No ... Not this bag... I'm not particularly vain but that would be so not the look I'm going for :-)

I too try to keep my shop bags looking nice, all my TB bags in fact.

I actually put my S19 on the ground the other day .... It only hurt my heart a little bit. ... So there's hope for me.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0