Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Frank II

Thread: Aeronaut on Australian airlines

Aeronaut on Australian airlines

A question for the Aussies here
    Have been happy with my Tristar & Imago over the past 2 years & now need,ok want, an Aeronaut.
    Am hesitating because of carryon size restrictions. Has anyone had trouble with Virgin or Jetstar?
    What tricks do you use?

steven

cal
    I've had my Aeronaut for 3 years now, and love it. I use it mainly for international trips for 3 to 4 weeks at a time, to all climates. We tend to move around a lot, and use a lot of local trains and buses. The Aeronaut is perfect for this style of travel. It still looks like new, in spite of being checked a few times, and being thrown around the luggage compartments of long haul buses.
    In Australia, I find that the main reason the Aeronaut is checked, is if it exceeds the weight limit. It fits the sizer without any problems, although I've never been asked to do this. At at my regional airport, Virgin and Qantus always weigh the carryons. If it weighs more than 7 kg, it is checked. Qantus does allow a personal bag, which is not weighed, so all heavy items go in that, but Virgin is strict on no personal item. I've also had to gate check it on small planes a few times. I've found international airlines vary a lot, but the weight is usually the deciding factor, not the size.
    If it does have to be checked, I don't stress too much, as it is a very tough bag!

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by stevent View Post
    A question for the Aussies here
    Have been happy with my Tristar & Imago over the past 2 years & now need,ok want, an Aeronaut.
    Am hesitating because of carryon size restrictions. Has anyone had trouble with Virgin or Jetstar?
    What tricks do you use?

steven
    If you don't overpack it you should be fine. The slim profile means it would fit in the overhead of a Dash8 if not overpacked, so it's unlikely to attract attention on the larger aircraft more often used by Virgin and Jetstar. I think hand carrying a bag always somehow makes it look less obtrusive too.

Frank II also has a nifty trick for "hiding" an Aeronaut under the seat in front - but I can't find the thread! Perhaps Frank or someone else can help.

How to make an Aeronaut fit under the airline seat in front of you:

1) Don't overpack the Aeronaut especially the end compartments.
    2) Put the Aeronaut under the seat end first.
    3) When the flight attendant comes by to do the "is everything fitting under the seat" glance, gently press the bag under the seat in front with both feet(and why it's critical not to overpack the bag.) The bag will compress under the seat and it will look like you are trying to maximize your leg room by placing both feet on the bag and not have them there to push the bag in.

Once you take off, there's nothing they can do about it except find some space in an overhead. You can't check a bag at 30,000 feet.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

thanyou all for your replies & Frank thankyou for your helpful site

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0