Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cadet 15/13 - Not Listed

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hey everyone!

We found that, after we began work on a couple of designs expected to debut in early November, we had enough production time to make the Cadet after all. And while we were at it, we decided to update the Cadet to have the same checkpoint friendly rails system as the Synapse 25, Synapse 19, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, and Tri-Star. Here it is: the new Cadet (available for backorder/ships by late November)
    mjo and Tlacltme like this.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Hurray! Great news! Thanks, Darcy.

Any chance the updated Cadet will be available in Navy or Aubergine at some point? (I promise I'm not asking in a whiney voice )

Aubergine / wasabi cadet would be dreamy awesomeness

(was that too subtle?)

mjo
    Hi darcy , imagine a thousand people scanting solar, solar, solar.

Ps did i mention i like solar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hear you guys on the colors! Note, though, that it's very unlikely any new colors will be introduced until sometime next year, as we're just finishing this next batch of Cadets

Darcy, how does the rail system on the new cadet differ from that on the old cadet?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Darcy, how does the rail system on the new cadet differ from that on the old cadet?
    I think I can answer that, although I obviously don't have the new Cadet. On the old Cadet, the two parallel rails are sewn against the back of the bag. The sliders clip on to two very short loops sewn into the bottom edge of the Cache using the same quick release locking mechanism that lets you remove waist band straps from your backpacks. When I transfer the cache to another bag,it's basically a regular cache, with two minimal webbing loops that can take the slider clips at the bottom. With the new design, the two parallel webbing rails are sewn against each cache. The top inside of the bag has two sewn loops of webbing to which you can attach the slider clips, using the same quick release locking mechanism. In both systems you can use the cache with other bags when you insert it. In the current system, the cache has two parallel strips of webbing sewn on, and the slide point is at the top of the bag. In the previous system, the cache has two minimal webbing loops at the bottom, and the slide point is at the base of the cache.

One advantage of the new design is that if you want to carry items in smaller caches on rails (e.g., an iPad) in a larger bag, such as a Smart Alec or Synapse 25, that item is always suspended from the top of the bag, close to the opening. In the older design, it would sit at the bottom of the bag. You can take a look at Maverick's video on the Cadet for details.

HTH.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-29-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Fixed typos inserted by autocorrect
    snowbot likes this.

Excellent explanation, moriond.

Another benefit of the new Cadet system: the same Cache used with the Cadet can also be used inside of the Tri-Star and any/all future briefcase/messenger bags to which we add rail loops. In other words, those of us who have a Cadet and a Tri-Star and might even get another briefcase/messenger bag someday can use the same Cache in every bag, provided that the bag is large enough to fit that size of Cache.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I bought an old-style Cadet off eBay. I guess this means I'm stuck with the cache it comes with unless it can be modded for backwards or forwards compatibility.

Snowbot

If you are ok to do basic sewing or know a good tailor, you can just sew in some loops with some spare webbing. Then you can use any new cache with rails. Just need to get the spacing right - looks like the loops are about 7" apart, centre to centre, based on some pictures in another thread - "rails for other bags? brain cell with rails" under Questions about bags or accessories. That is probably what I will do with my existing bags - unless there is a TB factory solution (will there be?...)

Cheers!
    snowbot likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I bought an old-style Cadet off eBay. I guess this means I'm stuck with the cache it comes with unless it can be modded for backwards or forwards compatibility.
    You might be able to mod the bag by sewing, as tpml describes. I don't know what spacing is used for the rails on the new horizontal caches. However, if it matches the spacing on the rails on the Cadet, you might just be able to clip the bottom ends of the webbing used for the rails and sew up the top parts into loops that could hook onto the attachments. I wouldn't find this worth doing, since I already have the old cache for the Cadet. But the ability to transfer the cache on rails to other bags is pretty neat. I like this most for vertically oriented backpack bags. The mod for the Cadet may be simplified by the fact that the attachment stitching of the loops for connecting to the cache with rails is already sewn into the seams of the Cadet -- if the same rail spacing is used on the Cache with rails. Then, maybe you can just sew on the end clips that you buy as parts. This mod makes more sense if you don't already have a cache to go along with your Cadet.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm looking forward to the arrival of my old-fashioned cadet.

Volunteer Moderator
    Snowbot, you can also go to the Videos page and look at the "How the checkpoint friendly Rails system works" video (currently it's the first video under the "Bags Explained" heading. Here's another view of the system in my Synapse 25 (which is spaced for a vertically oriented cache):

Inside view of Gatekeeper Rail clips secured to 13" MacBook Air Cache with rails in a Synapse 25 in 400d Steel Dyneema/Wasabi:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383263858.675277.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  75.3 KB

In the old style Cadet, the two long rails are sewn into the top and bottom seams of the back wall of the Cadet, where the webbing loops are attached to the Wasabi Dyneema (back) side of the bag. I was suggesting that you could mod your old style Cadet, if you wanted to, by clipping off the bottom section of the rails, and just sewing the ends up to make two webbing loops. Then, if you had a horizontal cache with rails, you could go to Parts on the Accessories web page and order a pair of Gatekeeper Rail Clips.

HTH. I haven't seen the new horizontal caches with rails in person, but from a recent picture by i_claudius of his newly arrived products, including a horizontal size 1 Cache, the spacing between these rails looks the same as what is used in the old style Cadets.

moriond
    snowbot likes this.

Moriond, that's what I was thinking, as well. Thanks for the photos and link.

It's November... any updates on when the small Cadet might be available? Any plans for a Mid sized Cadet? Im looking for a compact bag that will handle a 13"MBP in a Cache....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0