Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By kkintea
  • 2 Post By backpack
  • 3 Post By dorayme
  • 3 Post By kkintea

Thread: Little Swift as everyday shoulder bag?

Little Swift as everyday shoulder bag?

I am downsizing and giving away most of my old bags. I hardly use anything these days that is not my LCB or my Synapse 19. Some days, however, I still feel like carrying a shoulder bag (dinner, theatre, strolling around with minimal carry). I am not a knitter, unfortunately I do not have this talent, but I keep admiring the Little Swift and its streamlined looks.

For all LS owners out there, how do you find it as an everyday/frequent shoulder bag? I am sure I can fit my wallet into one of the zippered pockets (I carry a super small card case, not a large wallet), so I am not overly concerned about an open bag being a security issue. More the drop, the fit on the shoulder, and the common stuff that one may carry in a bag. Views, opinions?

I appreciate any insight provided so I can make my decision.

I genuinely LOVE THE LITTLE SWIFT for this exact purpose. I am also not a knitter. I actually have no known craft talent whatsoever. I regularly carry an iPad mini (inside a cache), the Side Effect (with wallet and a few essentials inside), an umbrella (for volatile Florida weather), and a few TB pouches (one for sunglasses, another for checkbook). Inside the yarn stuff sack that comes with LS, I store 1-2 flip & tumble shopping bags. I actually have FOUR TB shop bags (2 small, 2 large) BUT they can't pack down to the size of a small orange/baby sock ball like the flip & tumble bags. So, when I'm on the go, I have those with me. When I plan ahead for a big shop or predict a heavy load, I rely on my trusty TB shop bags. Still with all of this stuff regularly in the LS, you can still fit more. The top of the bag has three sizes for closing it shut, which is pure genius. I am 5'9" with no issues with the drop/fit. I loved LS so much that I recently got it's big sister {Swift} for a laptop bag. I just switch out the Side Effect and it's off to the races! So, you don't need to be a knitter to have the LS. You can re-purpose the yarn sack and roll with it for a great everyday bag.

I don't have a Little Swift but I have a couple of Swifts.

I don't knit either but I do needlework, so the Yarn Stuff Sacks are indeed, carrying yarn.

The Swift is a great shoulder bag, it holds tons, can close up well with the cute button closure.

It was my workhorse bag until I got the Synapse 19.

Now all my Swifts are indoor only, needlework bags.

The shoulder straps are very very comfortable and stay secure even on top of slippery wind breakers.

The Side Effect can become the main zippered compartment as is or secured with Key Straps on each side O-rings of the Little Swift.

The Dyneema 3D Cubes can provide extra opaque or clear pockets securely teethered with a Long Key Strap on the upper O-rings.

Thank you both SO much! This is awesome decision-making help.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I am also a fan of the LS. I own 3 (Hemp/Cork and Aubergine) and have given them as gifts to both my mom (Cardinal/Black) and MIL (Forset). They also are crocheter/knitter respectively but use their LS for handbags exclusively. They have both requested another for Christmas 2014. . . And if I can see some of the colors they have requested available on the site, they will get their Christmas wish!

I am multicraftual, but I don't use my LS predominantly as a knitting bag. I use it as my EDC. I love the size and shape. It's perfect tucked under my arm, both in the drop length and the width that it sticks out from my body. I love the pockets, and o-rings to clip in smaller bits of organization. I always get complements and they seem to work nicely in most settings from casual to formal. I carry a small stuff sack with knitting, kindle keyboard in Kindle Cork Pouch, Clear Organizing Wallet, original iPad, and some personal items in a Small OP. There is room left over to contain a light sweater, shawl, or whatever the kids or DH dumps on me in the way of sunglasses or a hand held electronic device or two. Definitely my favorite TB bag and the best replacement for all of the other handbags I have owned.

On a side note, if you haven't considered the Side Effect. It will nest into the LS, and make an even smaller essentials bag that pops out for quick store runs if you like that method. It looks great cross body, over the shoulder or with the handle loop and is great for the essentials (phone, wallet, keys, lipgloss, lotion bar, etc.)
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Oh, goodness. The Side Effect just managed to make it into my list! How did that happen? *gasp*

And throw in a 16" Dyneema key strap -- I clip it to the Side Effect for a mini-shoulder strap/grab handle. When I need my wallet to run into a shop or go on a quick errand, I will wear it over my shoulder with the bag to my back and the Dyneema facing front. Since the Dyneema straps come in bright colors (ultraviolet, wasabi, solar), it also makes it really easy to see in your other TB bags, which you are bound to amass :-)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0