Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Co-Pilot Uncertain About Fabric Choices

Co-Pilot Uncertain About Fabric Choices

Hello All

Im contemplating the purchase of a Co-Pilot and have gotten a little hung up on fabric choices.

Fabric:
    Ok, I currently own a Synapse 25 in Steel Dyneema and like the look of the bag. I suppose the simple answer would be to get the Co-Pilot in the same fabric, but Im really not worried about being matchy-matchy. Also, Ill probably carry the bags separately more than together, so no need to coordinate the two.

So, I feel the ballistic nylon would probably be a little more structured and maybe hold its shape better. On the flipside I wonder if the Dyneema might be more flexible and allow a little more room inside. However, I also worry the Dyneema might end up bulging too much and end up looking like a bowling ball on my hip.

Also, what are you feelings on water repellence, dirt resistance and wear resistance between the two fabrics.

Color:
    Yes, I know this is a really a personal preference kind of thing, but I am interested in opinions as to what people like. Im open to any color except black, so what color did/would you pick and why.

I have the CP in ballistic and it retains it shape quite well; stands up on my desk when I set it down. Don't know about the dyneema. As soon as I get a bag, I shoot it with Nikwax to add repellancy. No problem with either collecting dirt, cat fur, etc.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

I have the ballistic steel/UV CP. I absolutely love the color combo!

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I also have the Ballistic Steel/UV Dyneema combo and love it! Aubergine is delightful though and so is Nordic!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Well, I don't know if this means anything, but I am hoping to get a Nordic CoPilot someday. I'm thinking that on a bag that small it would be gorgeous. I have a Nordic large shop bag, and it is a tool I love to use because it is just gorgeous. Of course, I also have a Side Effect in Aubergine, and I love that color too. I don't suppose you can go wrong at all, with any color you choose!

I don't have a Co-Pilot but I have read on the forum that the Dyneema fabric has more "give" than the Ballistic, which means that it is easier to slip an iPad, a small folder with letter size paper and other things into it, even if it is pretty full.

However, the Ballistic fabric is very strong, you can coordinate all your travelling luggage, it is more formal looking and just plain gorgeous.

I am not any help am I?

If I wouldn't have gotten the steel/UV CP, I would have opted for the Aubergine/Wasabi version. I have a SE, Kit, and iPad Ristretto in Aubergine. I LOVE that color!!!

For travel, I prefer the ballistic nylon Co-Pilot. It is more protective for electronics in case the bag is accidentally kicked or bumped. It also shields contents better against the rain. You just have to be willing to deal with the fact that it is a little bit heavier.

From experience, I believe any of the "small bags" benefit from the extra give of Dyneema. I have a Side Effect (steel), Synapse 19 (steel/UV) and the Co-Pilot (Nordic). My SE carries my wallet, check book, cell phone, pill case, compact every day, either by itself or within a purse. It was a revelation to no longer have to root around within a larger bag looking for any of those individual items now that they have a home in the Side Effect. The 19 was smaller than I imagined so I use it as a gym bag.

The Co-Pilot - that bag you're considering - I added to a back order as an after-thought, and now use it ALL the time. It's terrific and the size is perfect but that extra flex of the Dyneema fabric really is useful when you add something that might push a pocket. I would jump on the Nordic since it's available now and might not be tomorrow. I was lucky enough to get the shop bags in Nordic before they sold out, and we don't know when that color will come back around. As you will see from reading the forums, you can't delay if you find a color you like. The Nordic Co-Pilot is a real charmer.

Name:  nordic dyneema co-pilot.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  69.4 KB
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

That is one thing about ballistic, it doesn't have a whole lot of give and is sometimes a slight chore to remove my Surface from the CP due to hanging up on the corners. Not a big deal to me since I always get black ballistic ... I don't mind the added heft and prefer the more low key, if boring, color.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Ok, just placed an order for the Co-Pilot in Steel Dyneema/Solar. After reading your comments and assorted reviews I decided the Dyneema was the best fabric choice for me.

However, I was still torn between the Steel and Nordic colors, but after reviewing various photos decided to go with the Steel. While the Dyneema has an overall more casual appearance than the ballistic nylon I felt the Steel might provide a little more formality than the Nordic.

Funny thing when I went to place my actual order I noticed the Nordic color was no longer available, so I guess things kind of worked out. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and for tolerating my indecisiveness.

EDIT to add: Wow, placed my order at 2:54 EDT and received a Tracking Number at 3:45 EDT – way to go y’all. Now, if those guys at UPS can maybe shave a few days off…
    Last edited by BarryLee; 08-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    EDIT to add: Wow, placed my order at 2:54 EDT and received a Tracking Number at 3:45 EDT – way to go y’all. Now, if those guys at UPS can maybe shave a few days off…
    Anything in stock ordered before 12:30 Pacific ships that day. You had a whole 36 minutes to spare! It's terrible actually knowing this fact since 3-3:30 Eastern often becomes "should I buy something?" time...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0