Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Can't decide between the 19 and 25 Synapse

For the past three years I've carried a Maxpedition Noatak for my weekend EDC bag. After reading all the positive reviews for the synapes I wonder if this bag would fit my needs. I do like the idea of having a two strap setup. My shoulder get sore after a long day of carrying the single strap bag. Any suggestions as to which Synapse to get? 19 or 25.
    My current EDC consists of the following:
    I'm 5'11 190 lbs
    5.11 6x6 med pouch
    3 ponchos
    Sunscreen/bug spray
    Sunglass case
    Hat
    Small umbrella
    Quark Turbo QB2A flashlight
    4x6 Rite in the Rain note book
    Water bottle
    Maxpedition micro pocket organizer

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, just purchased Synapse 25 to replace a Maxpedition Malaga, so I thought I’d chime in. I was looking for a good bag that didn’t have the “tactical” look that the Maxpediiton gear presents. After some research I decided to go with the Synapse 25 and so far pretty pleased.

So, be aware that this is a different sort of bag, but I suspect you already know that. While the bag may hold up perfectly well it doesn’t have that same rugged feel. For me this was fine since I wanted something a little more casual. Also, the Synapse doesn’t have as many pockets, pouches, slots etc as the other bag. Tom Bihn has a very neat system using pouches, attached to internal o-rings which works very well and allows a lot of flexibility. However, these additional pouches have to be purchased separately and while the prices are reasonable it does tend to add up.

Now, as for size at 6’ 220lbs the 25 fits me fine. I really feel the 19 would have been too small for my frame and gear needs, but I never physically tried one. Also, I don’t feel the 25 is too big for everyday carry or that it looks awkward in more casual settings.

All of that will easily fit in the 19

I agree with Antman, the 19 would probably work. My only question would be the size of the ponchos. Can you post a photo of the things you intend to carry?
    I can't post a link but there are pictures of what I packed in a 25 for a six day trip in the thread titled Six days one Synapse. I started it 7.2.13.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Sure can, I'll post a few pictures tonight.
    Thanks

I recently purchased a 25 and 19. The 25 fits me the best, but the 19 is okay. I am a few inches taller than you so you would probably fit the 19 a bit more comfortably. The one thing about both is they don't sag or look pathetic when not full so if you think you may need a larger capacity don't hesitate on 25.

I agree with martel. I'm 5'6" and carry a Synapse 25 to work every day. Usually, I don't have more than my iPad, a rain coat, my water bottle, wallet and iphone in it and it still carries beautifully. If you ever plan on carrying a bit more, I say go for the 25.

Hey, just purchased Synapse 25 to replace a Maxpedition Malaga, so I thought I’d chime in. I was looking for a good bag that didn’t have the “tactical” look that the Maxpediiton gear presents. After some research I decided to go with the Synapse 25 and so far pretty pleased.

So, be aware that this is a different sort of bag, but I suspect you already know that. While the bag may hold up perfectly well it doesn’t have that same rugged feel. For me this was fine since I wanted something a little more casual. Also, the Synapse doesn’t have as many pockets, pouches, slots etc as the other bag. Tom Bihn has a very neat system using pouches, attached to internal o-rings which works very well and allows a lot of flexibility. However, these additional pouches have to be purchased separately and while the prices are reasonable it does tend to add up.

Now, as for size at 6’ 220lbs the 25 fits me fine. I really feel the 19 would have been too small for my frame and gear needs, but I never physically tried one. Also, I don’t feel the 25 is too big for everyday carry or that it looks awkward in more casual settings.

For me, I have a tendency to "fill the space" of whatever I'm carrying at the moment. If that's you as well, I would recommend the Synapse 19. I think it would hold all that and perhaps a bit more.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0