Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Synapse 25 Splash Guards Fraying

Synapse 25 Splash Guards Fraying

I have had my S25 Dyneema for a little over a month now. I've used it just about every day. I haven't been hard on it or overstuffed the pockets. I noticed that one of my side pockets and now the main compartment is starting to fray on the rubbery splash guards. I'm worried that it will fray more and not be as effective. Is this normal??

Yam
    Only a month? I wouldn't think so...if you had said more than a year, maybe, but even that seems early. I've had my own S25 for a few months now, and I don't see anything like that. Contact CS?

That really doesn't look like any of my zippers. Contacting customer service is the way to go in my mind.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Thanks. Just sent CS an email with a pic.
    Last edited by chrisc983; 08-03-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Sorry, got confused. Disregard.
    Last edited by Moose; 08-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Hmmm... now that you have posted this I'm seeing telltale signs on mine for the main compartment - center section. It looks totally different than all the rest of the zips. I've only used it for 2 weeks straight now. No overpacking as well or extreme abuse. I thought it was normal. I'll keep a closer eye on it.

Mine is doing the same thing on my 19 .... Let us know what CS tells ya. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long have you had your S19? I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

About 2 months

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Okay, here's the scoop...

The zippers we use on many of our bags and backpacks are YKK Aquaguard (AKA "Uretek") zippers, originally developed by Arcteryx, working with YKK and Uretek. We refrain from calling them "waterproof" because they aren't: they are "splash-proof" or water-repellant. The zippers are not intended to ever form a perfect or complete seal, but rather to keep most of the weather out of your bag, most of the time. There's always a small gap down the center of the joined halves of the zipper which can let some weather in. Also note that we sew the Aquaguard zippers into our bags: they are not welded, so parallel to that center gap are stitch lines that can leak if exposed to extreme weather as well.

Aquaguard zippers are basically a standard YKK coil zipper with a heavy urethane coating on the tape. They are typically sewn into the bag (or jacket or whatever) upside down so that the teeth are inside the product and the urethane coated side of the tape is exposed. Sewing it in this way significantly reduces any wicking of moisture the woven tape material might do. Sewing the zipper in upside down also necessitated that YKK develop a "reverse" slider: a zipper slider with the pull on the other side (so you needn't be inside of your backpack or bag to zip or unzip it :P ). These reverse sliders can be used on YKK's standard coil zippers too, and many manufacturers have taken to simply sewing standard coil zippers in to their products upside down and using the reverse sliders. Installing zippers in this way makes them no more weather resistant than the old fashioned way of installing them, but people sometimes relate to them as "waterproof".... we've had folks swear that their Brand-X bag had waterproof zippers when, upon close inspection, they were just upside down standard zippers with reverse sliders. (As a side note: using standard coil zippers instead of the real Aquaguard zippers saves lots of money: Aquaguard zippers are four to five times the price as standard coil zippers.)

Occasionally, the very edge of the urethane coating will shear off from the zipper tape and there may be some small loss of material at the center joint. We've worked extensively with YKK on this issue and they say that, while they are taking steps to reduce the unsightly shearing issue, it does not significantly impact the water-repellant (again, not waterproof) nature of the closure and it is simply a cosmetic problem. While we are hopeful that YKK is able to improve this zipper in the future, our experience has shown that their conclusion is correct: even with the tiny gap and/or material loss, the Aquaguard zippers on our bags remain far more water-repellant and weather-resistant than uncoated or "standard" coil zippers.

So.... if you have one of our bags with Aquaguard zippers, you may ask:
    Can we fix them for you? Or replace the zippers with new ones? Nope: it's just the nature of the beast -- if we replace the zippers, it's very likely the new ones will have, more or less, the same issue. If the tiny strips of urethane coating peeling off your Aquaguard zippers bother you, it's best to carefully cut them off with a small scissors, nail trimmer or Exacto knife.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

This is why I like you guys and gals...

Someone has a concern, the factory, usually Darcy, sees it and then "owns it", she gets the facts quickly and provides the answers in an objective way.

Thank you dear lady.

Still happily waiting for my new Synapse 25...

Thanks for the reply and explanation. A bit disappointed after paying that much for a bag. The rest of the quality of the bag is so far holding up and haven't found any other bag so far to beat the synapse in load it can carry for the size it is.

Not sure if this helps, but my Synapse 19 is approaching 2 years, and while I have this sort of fraying on the main zippers, I've never noticed a decline in it's ability to handle the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by jspr234 View Post
    Not sure if this helps, but my Synapse 19 is approaching 2 years, and while I have this sort of fraying on the main zippers, I've never noticed a decline in it's ability to handle the weather.
    Thanks for the comfort. Has been through any heavy rain since the fraying?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    Thanks for the comfort. Has been through any heavy rain since the fraying?
    Mine has similar wear. I've used it daily for a year now and it's been through several downpours. I'm a walker/bike commuter so if I need to get anywhere, I am going outside in all weather. In my experience, the Cordura gets damp more than the zippers let in water. I love mine so much I recently bought a Synapse 25 (Steel/UV) to be my travel bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0