Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By intlman
  • 1 Post By Darcy

Thread: Material question

Material question

Not sure if I'm in the right section for this question, feel free to move it if need be.

My question is regarding 1050d ballistic nylons. I inquired about a certain nylon material from a manufacturer,
    asking what the denier was, the weave etc. The response was "1050D x 1260D basket weave Ballistic nylon".
    Now, I understand what 1050d and 1680d etc. I think I understand that 1050 ballistic uses two yarns in the
    weaving of the fabric and is always (usually?) a basket weave pattern. What I'm confused about t is the 1260d.
    Is ____d x ____d describing the the yarns used? What is the composition of the average high quality
    1050d ballistic nylon? What does 1050d x 1260d mean exactly?

Thanks for any light someone can shine on this.

No one with insight on the composition of 1050d nylon?

I can't do anything fancy with this device but, I'm pretty sure Tom Bihn posted a really good explaination of fabrics. If you can find his post it might help out.
    Moose

Found it, while I'm not certain it will answer your questions, the thread is titled 1050 VS 1680 Ballistic Nylon. It was started 3.9.09.
    Last edited by Moose; 08-02-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I'm wondering if they're referring to 1260d ballistic nylon made by Codura? If it is, the fabric is a 2 x 2 basket weave.

1050d ballistic nylon fabric is a double weave of these threads. As far as I know the Codura is not a double weave.

What is possible, without knowing the bag, is that both fabrics are used on the bag. It would really be easier if you'd tell us what the bag is.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The ballistic nylon we use is 1050d HT (high tenacity) two-ply (so yes, two yarns woven as one) in a basket weave pattern. The real question is whether the yarns are high tenacity (type 6.6 nylon as opposed to just type 6) or not. HT yarns are far stronger and more abrasion restart than your standard nylon. There's definitely various other 1050D fabrics out there, but mostly they aren't high tenacity.

We'll ask about the 1050D x 1260D fabric and let you know what our fabric Guru says...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I really appreciate everyone's input so far.

Darcy, thank you so much for confirming a couple of things I was unsure of, and I really
    appreciate you going even further to find out more from your fabric guru's, thank you so much.

The kind of service and insight you guys provide is one of the main reasons I love Tom Bihn products.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Glad to answer such a good question.

Our fabric Guru says:

"To be THE ORIGINAL BALLISTIC FABRIC[Dupont] or TRU BALLISTIC [Allied] the yarn has to be 1050 Denier HIGH TENACITY.
    Asia has marketed many different constructions and called them "ballistic"."
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Glad to answer such a good question.

Our fabric Guru says:

"To be THE ORIGINAL BALLISTIC FABRIC[Dupont] or TRU BALLISTIC [Allied] the yarn has to be 1050 Denier HIGH TENACITY.
    Asia has marketed many different constructions and called them "ballistic"."
    Thank you so much for your time and help Darcy. I think I was getting erroneous information elsewhere
    and what I suspected, you have confirmed. Thanks

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0