Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rocks
  • 2 Post By Stacybean
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: New batch of Smart Alecs in production; will there be new interior colours too?

Question New batch of Smart Alecs in production; will there be new interior colours too?

So I've been longingly eyeing a Smart Alec for the better part of a month now (such is the plight of all TBAS afflicted persons), going with my daily routine of looking at the forums, looking at the product page, configuring it over and over again (must have had three different configurations in my Wish List at one point)... I noticed today that the Steel Dyneema/Steel/Wasabi option is now gone, leaving only the Nordic/Nordic/Steel and Steel/Steel/Steel as the only available models. Everything else (all Ballistic Nylon models) is on back-order until late August.

Presumably that means there is a big production run scheduled for Smart Alecs going on now/soon to build the 6 listed BN colour combinations. Sadly, the trend based on the listed colours and removal of Steel/Steel/Wasabi is there really isn't going to be much in terms of interior colours (particularly for the 400d Dyneema outers) outside of Steel. On the BN side, it's Steel, a couple Wasabi, and an Iberian (still love that colour). I've seen people's photos of lovely Ultraviolet interior BN SA's, and I thought I'd even seen Solar somewhere (could be wrong though). The Synapse 19 and 25 both have Steel, Solar, Wasabi, and Ultraviolet options with the 400d outer.

Will we be seeing any brighter interiors coming back to the Smart Alec?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I would order a Steel Dyneema/UV Smart Alec in a heartbeat!

I deeply admire the Smart Alec and have one in Cardinal/Steel. I will not order any bag in the future with a steel interior. It is hard to see the contents. I know that I can purchase a light...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I would order a Steel Dyneema/UV Smart Alec in a heartbeat!
    Ditto! Double ditto even!!

I'd also be willing to give a nice, bright Solar a try as an interior.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Ditto! Double ditto even!!

I'd also be willing to give a nice, bright Solar a try as an interior.
    Two of the reasons that I didn't use my older design Smart Alec as much as other bags were the dark interior (even with Crimson ballistic), and the original backpad design (compared to the comfort of the backpad on my Synapse that I carry every day.). The redesig with the new backpad prompted me to get the new Smart Alec -- particularly when they offered a Wasabi Dyneema interior and added Aubergine to the color offerings. I think that this type of bag with a single large, main compartment needs a bright interior to make it easier to find things. Solar would be wonderful, but there really should be more alternatives to steel for this bag.
    earth5 likes this.

Nordic/Nordic/Steel is now also gone from the Smart Alec page.