Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Synapse 19 or Synapse 25?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'd put in another vote for the 25. I love my 19 but it can be a squeeze sometimes, even with only a few books. Certainly if you're using textbooks, I think that you'd appreciate the room.

My 19, by the way, thinks of itself as very butch. Not that I've had any deep gender-identity conversations with it. Lately.
    earth5 likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Keep in mind that Tom originally designed the Synapse to be a light-in-weight day hiking pack or an urban pack for carrying modern light/thin laptops and devices. It's not really designed to, nor would we recommend that you, carry multiple heavy books or textbooks in the bag.... the shape/contour of the bag doesn't, in our opinion, lend itself to that. Instead, we'd recommend the Brain Bag or Smart Alec -- both specifically designed to allow one to carry several textbooks plus other stuff. If you're set on the Synapse, however, we'd recommend the Cordura version over the 400d Dyneema/nylon if you're going to use it to carry a heavy book or two. If you're going to be carrying a lot of heavy stuff anyway, the weight difference between the 400d Dyneema/nylon and the Cordura isn't as significant, and the Cordura version is more abrasion-resistant.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hopefully my S25 in dyneema holds up then. I've been using it as a work bag and usually have my heavy work provided laptop, heavy folder with paperwork some basic tools and other EDC in it. Had it for a month so far no signs of wear. A little heavy sometimes but I find that the sternum straps helps out a lot when it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    19 is the bag for females. the 25 is for the guys. i rather have a bag that is too large.
    Tom actually really likes using the Synapse 19 when he goes on hikes. Doesn't look too small on him, and he's 6'0".

Name:  tompeakclimb.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  87.0 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0