Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chrisc983
  • 1 Post By dchang0

Thread: To Match or Not To Match, That is my Question

To Match or Not To Match, That is my Question

I recently purchased a Co-Pilot (which is awesome by the way) and I'm now looking at a Synapse 25. The Co-Pilot is Steel Dynema/Solar and I'm torn about getting the Synapse in Steel or Nordic Dynema. I want Dynema for the material and like the Nordic but am concerned with the steel lining being to dark. Clearly I like the Steel but I don't know about the matching set look. I guess I'm just looking to hear others thoughts before I pull the trigger.

I have a Nordic/steel Co-pilot and a Steel/Wasabi Synapse 19. Both color schemes are fine but yes, I do prefer the lighter Wasabi inside. The difference between light and dark is nice and visually helpful. I would love to have the solar now that it is back.
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

I have on order both a 19 in steel/uv and a co-pilot in nordic/steel. I think most people debate the wonderful color choices. My logic was that I would do the nordic on the smaller bag so it's not such large scale color. Also, a light interior is more useful on a larger bag and probably isn't such a big deal on the small co-pilot where everything is easily viewed. I think the uv is a great liner choice for a larger bag interior because it's bright & classy but not so neon (same with iberian). The steel 19 pairs with my steel Tri-Star and Aeronaut; the core of the "collection". Smaller bags like the co-pilot and cafe bags are a great way to express yourself with color. JMO.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

There are so many reasons why a bag is the right bag. At first my bags were very matched and coordinated. Over time TB has introduced new colors and combinations that appeal to me and I have branched out. I've noticed, it still all works together, even if they don't match. My suggestion is to go for the bags you love. In the end, you will be happier that you like them, vs. them all matching.

Case and point. A Steel/UV Synapse 25 would have matched my existing UV/Steel Synapse 19, Steel/UV WF, and Co-Pilot and UV accessories. But I really wanted Nordic Exterior. I would have been ecstatic to get Wasabi on the inside, but it wasn't offered so I chose Nordic/Steel. I'm so glad I didn't try to match. I wouldn't have been as happy with a Steel/UV in this bag.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

dorayme do you find the steel interior to be a hindrance when looking for things and bits in the pockets of the 25?

For me in the beginning when I got my S25 steel/steel I thought it would hinder me finding things but after a couple of weeks of usage I haven't had any issues finding stuff. This is due to the front pockets not being too big even though you can fit a ton of stuff in them. In the main compartment during the day and in decently lit places it's not too bad, especially since the dyneema material lets light go through it. For night usage I have a little nano light attached to the O rings and I can just switch those on if I need more light and they barely add any weight to the bag if any.

What I think is also nice about having steel as the interior is that you can get different color pouches to help color code different items and they will probably stick out more with the steel interior. Especially if you want to get wasabi pouches.

Thank you all for your answers. Me thinks I see a Nordic S25 in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    dorayme do you find the steel interior to be a hindrance when looking for things and bits in the pockets of the 25?
    I don't find it a hindrance at all, either on my Synapse 19 or my Synapse 25. The white lines of Dyneema provide just enough contrast that things are visible against the background. Also, I containerized my contents with Stuff Sacks, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches and a Snake Charmer so I'm looking for a pouch vs. a small item when I look inside my Synapse.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

What I think is also nice about having steel as the interior is that you can get different color pouches to help color code different items and they will probably stick out more with the steel interior. Especially if you want to get wasabi pouches.
    Good point. I've tried this too and it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by bunchgrass View Post
    Good point. I've tried this too and it works well.
    Yes, I didn't mention that my pouches are all solar, wasabi, and UV.

I DO find steel Dyneema interiors to make things a bit harder to see than, say, Ultraviolet. It's enough of an issue that I wish I could buy the older Packing Cubes that were made in colors other than Steel.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0