Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By backpack

Thread: Smallish Carryon Bag Recommendations for Gear and Whatnot

Smile Smallish Carryon Bag Recommendations for Gear and Whatnot

I'm planning a 2 1/2 week trip to the Andes and Amazonia regions of Ecuador at the beginning of 2014. I've figured out my clothing for two climates and all will fit in my brand new Synapse 25. However, I would appreciate a bag recommendation to carry gear I don't want to let out of my sight, such as: noise cancelling headphones, I-pad mini or I-phone (depending on wben I migrate back to Apple from android), Kindle, small camera, Minox binoculars, and the cables and chargers and batteries if applicable; my travel tray filled with glasses, sunglasses, hearing aids, meds, flashlight, headlamp; wallet, travel papers, cop kit, snacks, maybe one change of clothes, and the kitchen sink. I worry that it would be a tight fit with the Copilot, the cadet, and the imago. I see that the Imago is being retired. I'm not sure that whatever the new release will meet my space needs. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, how do you deal with trekking poles and the airlines?

If it's not too late, I would recommend tweaking your set-up a bit. I would go with a Western Flyer + Synapse 19 combination. Let me know if you have any questions about my recommendation or the region you are traveling to.

I've never been able to get my trekking poles on the plane without checking a bag. You may be able to get one on as a "cane like object" but I don't know about two. I could probably get most of your carry on list in my Swift, but there's no way to secure it short of putting everything in a stuff sack and clipping it in.

Muchas gracias por sus recomendaciones. No es tarde para mi. Estoy pensando mucho de este viaje. ?Pero porque Synapse 19 y Western Flyer? (Perdóname. Tengo que practicar mi español.)

Monkeylady (Me encanta el mono titi.)

Tzporah, Thanx For info on poles. I Will give it further thought. Don't know much about the Swift Boeing a newbie, but I'll look into it.
    Monkeylady

I use a Co-pilot for my extra gear bag. Much of what you mentioned would fit fine in one. Less minimal would be a Western Flyer coupled with your Synapse 25. I usually travel with my Synapse 19 and Co-pilot.

Sue
    Synapse 19, Co-pilot, Travel Tray, PCSB, Western Flyer, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    I've never been able to get my trekking poles on the plane without checking a bag. You may be able to get one on as a "cane like object" but I don't know about two. I could probably get most of your carry on list in my Swift, but there's no way to secure it short of putting everything in a stuff sack and clipping it in.
    The way I secure things in the Swift is to use Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, it fits perfectly the length and width of the Swift, The external O-rings of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag can be clipped to the side O-rings of the Swift using a Key Strap for each side.

backpack-that idea is pure GENIUS!!! I have another Swift arriving today and this solves my problem of trying to use them as an EDC without worrying about it being too open on the sides.
    Thanks so much for posting your idea.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Muchas gracias por sus recomendaciones. No es tarde para mi. Estoy pensando mucho de este viaje. ?Pero porque Synapse 19 y Western Flyer? (Perdóname. Tengo que practicar mi español.)

Monkeylady (Me encanta el mono titi.)

¡De! El Western Flyer serviría como el equipaje para toda la ropa, y el Synapse 19 para llevar todo lo demás que mencionas (cámara, iPad, etc).

Espero te ayuden estas recomendaciones.

A mí también me fascinan los monos; y tuve titís -y otros monos- cuando era niño!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    El Western Flyer serviría como el equipaje para toda la ropa, y el Synapse 19 para llevar todo lo demás que mencionas (cámara, iPad, etc).
    I think Monkeylady wrote she'd need the smallish bag to carry stuff that she'd not want to let out of sight. That means it shouldn't be a backpack but a side bag.

Unless the Pilot shows up soon, I'd suggest the ID. It's not that practicable for easy access to stuff that lives in the main compartment while carrying it around in the city. But if we are talking about long hikes, it's pretty OK. The fromt compartment is big enough for a camera
    and binoculars of whatever size (um, almost). Take into account that this bag squeezes its contents quite a bit, however empty it is.

Or go with a combo of your Synapse 25 on your back, a Co-Pilot on your shoulder, and a Side Effect.

As airlines have a 2 bag limit, that side effect (or any day purse for that matter) would have to fit inside the co-pilot or the S25. It ain't going to happen in my S25. It practice packed to the gills. Will the SE fit in Co-Pilot? (Based on Darcy's responses, which I have carefully tracked on this, there will be no Pilot in the near future, at least not in time for this trip.)

Have you considered the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag? If you don't mind an unstructured bag, I can totally vouch for its usefulness/awesomeness. It's spacious too.

Yes. I have consider the packing cube shoulder bag. I have just put one on order. I don't careabout its unstructured-ness, and its versatility is very appealing. I can pack it full of clothing and later use as a bag. Just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for affirming what I thought about it....monkeylady

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    As airlines have a 2 bag limit, that side effect (or any day purse for that matter) would have to fit inside the co-pilot or the S25.
    I've never had an airline b••ch about something the size of a Side Effect. If it's strapped to your waist, it's practically a part of your frame, so to say.

But it looks like you've already made your decision with the PCSB. Could work very well too, and definitely for less money than Co-Pilot+SE

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0