Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By nategrim

Thread: Recommendation requested for particular approach needing Duo Bag Synergy

Recommendation requested for particular approach needing Duo Bag Synergy

Hello Expert Tom Bihn Customers,

Good morning, I am looking for recommendations for a Tom Bihn Superhero Duo, ie. Batman and Robin, Aeronaut and Super Ego, Tick and Author

I have read a couple posts on bags, companion bags, etc. I am leaning towards the Aeronaut. However I am having trouble picking a companion bag or using what I currently have. I forsee trouble with using an Aeronaut and my North Face Surge Backpack. This conundrum would be created because I would prefer to carry it all on my back however I cannot have two backpacks trying to occupy 1 back. My optimal setup would be 1 backpack that splits or separates into two. The reason for this is I do not plan on checking any bags and I would like my hands free. I envision as I board a plane that I would remove the backpack, seperate them, stuff one above my head and one at my feet. Furthermore, for the last two weeks of my trip I will be on the move with a map, book, or camera phone in my hand. That's another reason for keeping my hands free.

My Physique:
    6"0' (182.88 cm)
    220 lb (99.8 kg)
    I am a Tough Mudder. I did not weep during the event however I did weep while recovering. (toughmudder.com)

My Trip:
    I am currently planning a 3 month trip to Japan. I will be participating in an immersion program for about 10 of those 12 weeks. The last 2 weeks will be a mad dash to explore the country as my 3 month visa will be ending.

Duo Contents:
    (1) Comfortable Walking Shoes
    (1) Jacket
    (2) Jeans
    (1) Dress Shirt
    (1) Dress Slacks
    (5) Shirts
    (2) Shorts
    (5) Socks
    (5) Underwear
    (1) Gloves
    (1) Beanie
    (1) Slippers
    (1) Single Bed Sheets

(2) Eyeglasses
    (1) Toothbrush, paste
    (2) Soap
    (1) Shampoo
    (1) Conditioner
    (2) Pens
    (2) Pencils, mechanical
    (1) Travel Umbrella
    (1) Travel first-aid kit
    (1) Two-prong adapter for appliances
    (1) 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina w/ plug
    (1) Samsung Galaxy Note 2 w/ usb and plug

Other things like a couple books for Japanese Immersion and some paperwork like emergency contact and medical info. However I believe that covers a bulk of the contents. The separation in the list does not mean those need to be in different bags however I realized that they can be sorted that way.

Thank you all in advance. If you know of another way to approach the situation or know of a duo bag solution elsewhere, please do not hesitate. I greatly appreciate any opinions, advise, counsel, etc. I hope I have been clear.

Thanks and regards,

Nategrim

I'm sorry I don't have any bag suggestions for you. I just wanted to say thank you for supporting the Wounded Warrior Project.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

The thread below answers many of your questions. It is valuable because FrankII and FC (Eric) two of your multiple TB bag owning forum participants chime in.
    Both also have a big frame.

Their solution is to place a TB bag within a bigger TB bag, which is extremely doable in the Aeronaute.

Can't choose between the Aeronaut and Tri-Star. Any advice?

I would add that the TB Packing Cubes are an invaluable addition to organized packing.

Since you are already an ultra light packer, I suggest the Dyneema Aeronaute, especially if you want to explore in a mad dash, which would be easiest on Japanase trains (this was pointed out, in this forum, by many travellers to Japan)
    Last edited by backpack; 07-06-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Aeronaut & Smart Alec without any doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have any bag suggestions for you. I just wanted to say thank you for supporting the Wounded Warrior Project.
    Moose
    Thank you. You are welcome and I will do it again. It was a spectacular day.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The thread below answers many of your questions. It is valuable because FrankII and FC (Eric) two of your multiple TB bag owning forum participants chime in.
    Both also have a big frame.

Their solution is to place a TB bag within a bigger TB bag, which is extremely doable in the Aeronaute.

Can't choose between the Aeronaut and Tri-Star. Any advice?

I would add that the TB Packing Cubes are an invaluable addition to organized packing.

Since you are already an ultra light packer, I suggest the Dyneema Aeronaute, especially if you want to explore in a mad dash, which would be easiest on Japanase trains (this was pointed out, in this forum, by many travellers to Japan)
    Thank you for the reply. I read both pages of that post. That is what initially drew me to the Aeronaut. However I must have missed the Dyneema Aeronaute reference to being especially useful for mad dash. I shall reread. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by J4c3 View Post
    Aeronaut & Smart Alec without any doubt
    Thanks for the suggestion. I shall research.

Nategrim, I'm not quite understanding your packing list. Is that whole list the total of what you want to carry (in the Aeronaut + a companion bag), or is that list just for the companion bag? If it's the former situation, I'd suggest the Aeronaut with the Packing Cube Backpack (PCBP).

My hesitation with the Aeronaut + Smart Alec would be that if you were to pack the SA into the Aeronaut, it's gonna take up most of the space in the Aeronaut, and it's not as lightweight as the packing cubes, which might be an issue for international flight baggage weight limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Nategrim, I'm not quite understanding your packing list. Is that whole list the total of what you want to carry (in the Aeronaut + a companion bag), or is that list just for the companion bag? If it's the former situation, I'd suggest the Aeronaut with the Packing Cube Backpack (PCBP).

My hesitation with the Aeronaut + Smart Alec would be that if you were to pack the SA into the Aeronaut, it's gonna take up most of the space in the Aeronaut, and it's not as lightweight as the packing cubes, which might be an issue for international flight baggage weight limitations.
    Thanks for the suggestion Ginkgo. You were correct, it is the former; the whole list. I will take a look at the Packing Cube Backpack.

Thanks to everyone for the their suggestions. I hope to tackle all of this tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by nategrim View Post
    Duo Contents:
    (1) Comfortable Walking Shoes
    (1) Jacket
    (2) Jeans
    (1) Dress Shirt
    (1) Dress Slacks
    (5) Shirts
    (2) Shorts
    (5) Socks
    (5) Underwear
    (1) Gloves
    (1) Beanie
    (1) Slippers
    (1) Single Bed Sheets

(2) Eyeglasses
    (1) Toothbrush, paste
    (2) Soap
    (1) Shampoo
    (1) Conditioner
    (2) Pens
    (2) Pencils, mechanical
    (1) Travel Umbrella
    (1) Travel first-aid kit
    (1) Two-prong adapter for appliances
    (1) 15-inch Macbook Pro Retina w/ plug
    (1) Samsung Galaxy Note 2 w/ usb and plug

Other things like a couple books for Japanese Immersion and some paperwork like emergency contact and medical info. However I believe that covers a bulk of the contents. The separation in the list does not mean those need to be in different bags however I realized that they can be sorted that way.
    This doesn't actually sound like too much stuff (well, depending on your definition of "jacket"; packable wind breaker/rain jacket, or a blazer-type jacket?). Does this include what you would be wearing on the plane over? If so that -1 jeans, -1 shirt, underwear, socks, etc. that needs to get packed. You could probably get everything into an Aeronaut, including the laptop (though you'd probably want a case/sleeve for that).

Second bag is a bigger question. It's a shame your laptop is "big" since that limits you to backpacks or real messenger style bags. If you're looking in the TB collection, I agree that the Smart Alec is a really good choice, especially in Dyneema to shave a little weight. The Synapse 25 might be another option. You could possibly use the Packing Cube Backpack if you were trying to go minimalist, but the MBP Retina is pretty big and might distend the shape of the PCBP (you'd also want it in a sleeve since there is ZERO padding or structure in the PCBP, as well as something to keep your papers from crumpling up). Also worth considering is the North Face pack you already have. It's kind of biggish, but you already own it. Unless you are packing more than what you listed, it doesn't sound like the Aeronaut would be too heavy to shoulder carry anyway.

As for having two backpacks, I've done it and have seen lots of other people rock the double backpack. You put the smaller one on your front, and the bigger one on your back. My wife and I spent a month in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Hong Kong with 65-75L backpacks on our backs, and day packs on our front when we needed to move locations. We were young and stupid then. I would pack much lighter if we had to do that trip again today.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    This doesn't actually sound like too much stuff (well, depending on your definition of "jacket"; packable wind breaker/rain jacket, or a blazer-type jacket?). Does this include what you would be wearing on the plane over? If so that -1 jeans, -1 shirt, underwear, socks, etc. that needs to get packed. You could probably get everything into an Aeronaut, including the laptop (though you'd probably want a case/sleeve for that).

Second bag is a bigger question. It's a shame your laptop is "big" since that limits you to backpacks or real messenger style bags. If you're looking in the TB collection, I agree that the Smart Alec is a really good choice, especially in Dyneema to shave a little weight. The Synapse 25 might be another option. You could possibly use the Packing Cube Backpack if you were trying to go minimalist, but the MBP Retina is pretty big and might distend the shape of the PCBP (you'd also want it in a sleeve since there is ZERO padding or structure in the PCBP, as well as something to keep your papers from crumpling up). Also worth considering is the North Face pack you already have. It's kind of biggish, but you already own it. Unless you are packing more than what you listed, it doesn't sound like the Aeronaut would be too heavy to shoulder carry anyway.

As for having two backpacks, I've done it and have seen lots of other people rock the double backpack. You put the smaller one on your front, and the bigger one on your back. My wife and I spent a month in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Hong Kong with 65-75L backpacks on our backs, and day packs on our front when we needed to move locations. We were young and stupid then. I would pack much lighter if we had to do that trip again today.
    Yes, I believe it does include what I am wearing. I see no reason to take more. It seems laundry services are readily available in Japan.

The more I look at things and the more I think about it ... I think there is no utopian solution. I am going to have to get some combo like Aeronaut + Smart Alec, Aeronaut + ID, or Aeronaut + PCBP and create a backpack sandwich with my body being the meat.

Does any know if an ID with a Q-AM Shoulder Strap is stable like a backpack with a chest strap? After some research, it looks like once I reach my destination there are plenty of lockers to keep an Aeronaut. Then I can go frolic around the city with a lightweight ID or something like that; perhaps a Co-Pilot. I do not think I will need the MBP 15" Retina while roaming the city.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice.

Thanks.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0