Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder

Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder

Hi all. I'm considering getting a Western Flyer, but I would like to use some of the Eagle Creek packing items I already have. I'm specifically looking for input as to whether the EC Pack-It 18 folder will fit in the large, back section of the WF. The dimensiona look to be close. Does anyone have any experience?

My other question is about the WF: to backpack straps or not? I've read peoples comments about appreciating them, and I understand, but I really like the look of the roller board pocket. Has anyone selected the roller board option? Your thoughts? Regrets?

I have an EC15 pack it folder. That and a EC tube fit just about right. This tells me an 18 should be just fine. Hope someone that actually has one chimes in for you.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I can fit an EC18 in my WF, no problem. I have the rolling bag version of the WF and I think if I had to do it over, I'd get the backpack straps, but I do appreciate being able to tuck a magazine or file folder in the pocket.

I have the rolling bag version of the WF, and absolutely love it. I find that I use the pockets on the back quite a bit for documents, sliding the newspaper or a magazine in there, etc. I use the document pocket for my boarding pass and it works like a charm because I always know where it is and I don't have to unzip anything to get it. I also use the pockets inside the back flap that you don't get if you have the backpack version. These fit flip flops, a kindle, or any variety of smaller items that you want to pull out quickly. All that said, there have been times when I've wished I had the backpack straps just for convenience. However, because of the WF's size, I've never had much trouble carrying it crossbody if I need to hurry. Yes, it's heavy for me if I have to carry it a really long way fully packed (I'm 5'0"), but the absolute strap makes it bearable and I've never been sore the next day. The absolute strap is a must! I've ended up carrying the WF and the S19 on my trips, and for that reason, the backpack strap wish went away. It's a perfect combination - S19 on my back and the WF crossbody. The S19 can hold those oddly shaped souvenirs, and the WF can hold all my clothes, etc. I hope this helps!
    itsablur and RDR3 like this.

I have the backpack version and I use the pocket that the straps tuck into as an additional carry space.... :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Thanks for the feedback, guys! dwright17, I think you've hit on all the reasons I like/want the rolling bag version. I don't envision myself backpacking across Europe, just simple long weekends or business trips, so I think the shoulder strap only version will do! I suppose that means I'd just have to get the Tri-Star for the backpack version.

I have a case of bag lust over the rolling-bag version of the Western Flyer in Dyneema. My TriStar ends up being too heavy for me to carry on my shoulder, and I've nearly convinced myself that I'd be constrained by the WF to pack it so that I could carry it on a shoulder. Plus, I find the interior pockets on the WF rolling version almost too cute to resist.

Yes. I described interior pockets as cute.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Yes. I described interior pockets as cute.
    No need to apologize! I think many of us are in the same boat!

Can anyone comment on the amount of space for clothes, etc., in the back section of the WF if you have a Horizontal Brain Cell. It looks like you might have about an inch. Real world experiences?

@hamiltee, I was thinking the same thing - get a Tri Star for the backpack version. But then I decided to get the Aeronaut. Go big or go home! Ha! That would be a true one-bag trip by doing that, which is why I posed my question about the PCBP. One of each TB item sounds about right to me!

A really-full Pack-It 18 will be too large for the WF. Mine gains an inch in all 3 dimensions when I pack a suit--the padded shoulders of most suit/sport jackets/blazers adds quite a bit of bulk, and you definitely want to pack these in the Pack-It to minimize wrinkles.

What size Pack-It folder fits the Aeronaut to pack a men's suit?

Quote Originally Posted by dwright17 View Post
    What size Pack-It folder fits the Aeronaut to pack a men's suit?
    Here's the "official" video from the TB YouTube channel. Packing a Suit in the Tom Bihn Aeronaut Maximum Carry-on Bag - YouTube

Looks like the EC Garment Sleeve (21"x13"x2") will fit if you unsnap the side pocket sizing tabs to give more space to the main chamber. You can probably fit any size of Pack-It folder since the TB large packing cubes are about 13.4" square, and there is still room around them to cram other things. So long as at least one of the dimensions of the folder or cube is <= 14", you can probably fit it in, though you might have to expand one or both sides of the main chamber.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

@itsablur, thanks for the link and info!

I got my WF this week - Aubergine/Steel in the rolling bag version with an Absolute Shoulder Strap and cork Organizer Wallet. Here it is next to my EC Pack-It 18.
    Name:  WF_EC1.JPG
Views: 1462
Size:  408.5 KB

Anyone sensing a theme?

Here's the empty EC Pack-It 18 in the back section:
    Name:  WF_EC2.JPG
Views: 1178
Size:  462.7 KB

The dimensions are just too close. I can't completely zip close the back section with the empty Pack-It. Looks like I may need to make another TB purchase...

hamiltee, those 2 pieces look made for each other. Love the aubergine. I wonder if the Eagle Creek piece would work if you removed the plastic folding board. I don't use mine en route, and sometimes that helps cheat with dimensions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0