Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Western Flyer and Eagle Creek Pack-It Folder

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    122
    TavaPeak,
    I did try that. The insert is slightly smaller than the folder itself, so it didn't make a difference. Perhaps the WF's fabric is just too stiff and may give a little with time?

  2. #17
    Registered User RDR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I have an EC15 pack it folder. That and a EC tube fit just about right. This tells me an 18 should be just fine. Hope someone that actually has one chimes in for you.
    Moose
    Moose,
    Do you know if your EC Pack it 15 will fit in the Synapse 25?
    Thank you

  3. #18
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by RDR3 View Post
    Moose,
    Do you know if your EC Pack it 15 will fit in the Synapse 25?
    Thank you
    @RDR3 Thus isn't Moose, but since you haven't had a reply yet I'll answer that the Eagle Creek 15" pack-it sleeve fits into the Synapse 25 without problems. The reference dimensions for the EC Pack it 15 sleeve are: 15 x 10 in / 38 x 25 cm; 14.25 x 9 in / 36 x 23 cm (folding board).

    To put the sizes into perspective, I'll state that the EC Pack it 15 is about the same width as the Cache-on-rails for the 13" MacBook Air in my Synapse 25, but about 1.5" longer. It's also about the same length as Horizontal Freudian Slip, but 2" shorter in height, which means that it will fit

  4. #19
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by RDR3 View Post
    Moose,
    Do you know if your EC Pack it 15 will fit in the Synapse 25?
    Thank you
    Here's a picture of my Synapse 25 with the EC Pack It 15 slipped in behind the Cache on rails for the 13" MacBook Air. There's both the older style sleeve (in red with mesh) and the newer style Specter 2 sleeve behind it (translucent fabric made it harder to see in contrast). The envelopes and old folders are for US letter-sized paper, which is the size of the paper pad in front of them.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377621960.642618.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  95.6 KB

    The bag is resting on the ground, so you can see how much vertical clearance is available. You can also fit in a horizontal Freudian Slip, but the vertical Freudian Slip is too high and wide to fit in Synapse 25 without stressing the top corners where the bag tapers (next pictures), although it works well in the Smart Alec.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377623229.876698.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  85.1 KB
    Horizontal Freudian Slip in front of Cache in Synapse 25.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377623439.276703.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  93.8 KB
    Vertical Freudian Slip in open Synapse 25.

  5. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Posts
    75
    This is great! Thanks for the pics. I have a WF but just ordered a Synapse 25 (I really can't help myself...) and was wondering if the Synapse had sufficient room for my EC 15 for one night trips. I would never have thought about putting it behind the rails. Do you have to disconnect them to do that or can you kind of "shimmy" it in there?

    To address the OP, I routinely use my EC 15 in my WF, but I prefer the packing cube now because, while the EC 18 is just a touch too big, I find that the EC 15 is just a wee but too small and leaves about an inch on all sides all the way around. I've worked around this by packing socks and small items around the folder, but it's not ideal which is why I'm a convert to the packing cube. That, and I just can't seem to stop procuring TB stuff.

    If you're married to the EC 18, you'll probably want to look at the Tri-Star (maybe?) or the Aeronaut. Although the Aeronaut is HUGE for shorter trips...

    Good luck. Remember that there are no bad choices!
    RDR3 likes this.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    122
    ScottE22, I was able to buy a plum EC15 (the wonders of EBay!). While waiting for that to arrive, I did manage to fit the EC18 into my WF. So I know exactly the Goldilocks situation you described. I've made 2 trips with my WF now, and each time used a different EC Folder. I am giving some serious thought to WF packing cube, but trying to resist. However, all you Trekkies (and TB-atics) know, resistance is futile. :-)

  7. #22
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,133
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    This is great! Thanks for the pics. I have a WF but just ordered a Synapse 25 (I really can't help myself...) and was wondering if the Synapse had sufficient room for my EC 15 for one night trips. I would never have thought about putting it behind the rails. Do you have to disconnect them to do that or can you kind of "shimmy" it in there?
    The Eagle Creek 15" pack-it folder is about the size of the Horizontal Freudian Slip, but not quite as wide by a couple of inches, which is why it fits into the Synapse 25 fairly well. The Eagle Creek 18" pack-it folder is about the same size as the Vertical Freudian Slip (including the width -- 2" wider than the Freudian Slip). This is why, although the 18" folder can be packed into the Synapse 25, it will stress the top corners of the bag where the top of the bag tapers, if the bag is full.

    The EC 15 can be placed either in front of or behind the cache on rails. No need to disconnect the cache from its rails if you want to put the EC 15 behind the cache. However, the main reason for photographing the EC 15 behind the cache is that it's easier to compare its size to the cache and the inside of the bag by using the contrast with the background Wasabi Dyneema. If you slide the cache+laptop out for Airport security, it may be easier to do with the cache flush against the Dyneema backing rather than the EC 15 folder unless you are using the Specter 2 pack-it folder with its more slippery Silnylon fabric.

    I agree that the EC 18 fits fine in the Tri-Star, but is just a hair too large for the Western Flyer.

    moriond

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The EC 15 can be placed either in front of or behind the cache on rails. No need to disconnect the cache from its rails if you want to put the EC 15 behind the cache. However, the main reason for photographing the EC 15 behind the cache is that it's easier to compare its size to the cache and the inside of the bag by using the contrast with the background Wasabi Dyneema. If you slide the cache+laptop out for Airport security, it may be easier to do with the cache flush against the Dyneema backing rather than the EC 15 folder unless you are using the Specter 2 pack-it folder with its more slippery Silnylon fabric.

    I agree that the EC 18 fits fine in the Tri-Star, but is just a hair too large for the Western Flyer.

    moriond
    My Synapse just arrived today and now I get it. For some reason, I pictured the Cache riding on rails that were attached to the backpack. But I see it's kind of the opposite: the "rails" are on the Cache itself so when you slide it out of the bag you just drop the EC15 behind it.

    After fiddling, packing, and unpacking the S25 with various stuff sacks and pouches over the last hour and a half, I think it may be my favorite TB bag ever.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

  9. #24
    Registered User RDR3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Here's a picture of my Synapse 25 with the EC Pack It 15 slipped in behind the Cache on rails for the 13" MacBook Air. There's both the older style sleeve (in red with mesh) and the newer style Specter 2 sleeve behind it (translucent fabric made it harder to see in contrast). The envelopes and old folders are for US letter-sized paper, which is the size of the paper pad in front of them.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377621960.642618.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  95.6 KB



    The bag is resting on the ground, so you can see how much vertical clearance is available. You can also fit in a horizontal Freudian Slip, but the vertical Freudian Slip is too high and wide to fit in Synapse 25 without stressing the top corners where the bag tapers (next pictures), although it works well in the Smart Alec.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377623229.876698.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  85.1 KB
    Horizontal Freudian Slip in front of Cache in Synapse 25.

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377623439.276703.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  93.8 KB
    Vertical Freudian Slip in open Synapse 25.
    Thank you moriond. I did use the folder in the Synapse 25 for my trip. It kept my suit wrinkle free. Next time, I'll try rolling it and see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0