The Cork Pouch - for tablets

I am shopping for a travel case that’s lighter on my mini tablet (NOT apple) than the “book-style” I currently have.

The Bihn ipad mini case fits the bill, but it doesn’t have a clip to attach to one of my Bihn bags and I’d really like to have that. I also like the look of cork better than the plain padded.

My tablet is 7.74 x 5.25 x .31. The smallest cork pouch is a bit larger (for the Nook) at 8.3 x 6.7. I’m wondering if anyone who uses a cork pouch can comment on the protection it gives a tablet, or if you would simply get padded if you could do over? I don’t think the little bit of extra space would be detrimental in any way.

Thanks!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

I have used a Cork Pouch for a phone that was pre-smart phone so it was pretty sturdy.

I also use a Cordura Clear Pouch for my current allegedly smart phone.

However my husband Nexus 7 is housed in a Medium Padded Pouch and my iPad Mini with a smart cover, also fit in a Medium Padded Pouch.

Cork is really gorgeous but for electronic, Padded is a must.

You can compromise and get a Cork Pouch for something else you really use everyday like a favorite cosmetics, membership card, etc...
    Last edited by backpack; 07-01-2013 at 01:50 PM.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I have carried my Kindle Keyboard in the Kindle Cork Pouch since close to the time it was released. I haven't had any issues. It knocks around inside of my Little Swift, Imago, Synapse 19 and MCB, no problems.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I use the Nook Cork Pouch to carry my Sony ereader (which is roughly 5 x 7). I was dubious when I first got it because it doesn't have the cushioning and I considered getting the padded pouch with my next order. I've tucked it into my Imago, SCB and side pocket of my Aeronaut and haven't had any problems. Now, I'm not sad I never added the padded pouch to any of my orders and I like the slimmer profile of the cork.

Having said that though, if you tend to be hard on your electronics, you'll probably be more comfortable with a padded pouch.

You have a tablet, not an e-reader, right? I've gone through several Kindles (e-ink reader, not Kindle Fire) because the screens are very fragile. It's very easy to shatter the e-ink layer under the screen by accidentally bending or dropping it, making the screen un-readable. [Fortunately it happened within one year of buying the kindle, so I got free replacements.]

For this reason, I carry my Kindle e-reader in a padded pouch. I know it's important to protect tablet screens from being scratched. I think that a cork pouch would provide enough protection to a tablet, but not an e-ink reader.

Just my two cents!

Quote Originally Posted by liz_h View Post
    You have a tablet, not an e-reader, right? I've gone through several Kindles (e-ink reader, not Kindle Fire) because the screens are very fragile. It's very easy to shatter the e-ink layer under the screen by accidentally bending or dropping it, making the screen un-readable. [Fortunately it happened within one year of buying the kindle, so I got free replacements.]

For this reason, I carry my Kindle e-reader in a padded pouch. I know it's important to protect tablet screens from being scratched. I think that a cork pouch would provide enough protection to a tablet, but not an e-ink reader.

Just my two cents!
    I can around because I'm shopping for a solution to carry my new Samsung Note 8 on my belt. There are no solutions for this really so of course I find something here.

I am always in need of a cigarette every time I see I can buy a bag or pouch I need in the cork fabric...and I don't even smoke. That is how excited the cork options get me.

I'm not a fan of padded pouches to protect the panels on my tablets. Instead I prefer a rigid case to absorb, distribute and deflect any direct impacts and aid in resisting torsional (twisting/bending forces) stress. Twisting/bending events are perhaps major predators for tablet panels.

Anyway my solution for my large tablet (Asus Infinity 10.1" ) when I am just carrying the tab and it's not in it's keyboard dock, is to put the tablet in a very thin folio/book cover type case. This affords a nice solid cover that is more protective than any padding. These covers (mine is made by Poetic but there are several other brands just as good) are very thin and add little to the dimensions of the tablet section of the device and are also light weight. The added bonus is many of them have a hand strap designed in to let you securely hold your larger tablet in one hand while operating it with the other.

Along the same lines for my Samsung Note 8 I am going to grab on of Tom's cork pouches (the Note 8 is almost the exact size of the iPad Mini for reference) and have the same sort of thin book cover style cases for it as well.

I can then easily slip this mid-sized tablet in and out of the pouch all day long or slip the whole thing into my bag to carry around and not overly worry about having to replace the display or digitizer layers if one or more cracks.
    Last edited by grumpy3b; 07-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    I am shopping for a travel case that’s lighter on my mini tablet (NOT apple) than the “book-style” I currently have.

The Bihn ipad mini case fits the bill, but it doesn’t have a clip to attach to one of my Bihn bags and I’d really like to have that. I also like the look of cork better than the plain padded.

My tablet is 7.74 x 5.25 x .31. The smallest cork pouch is a bit larger (for the Nook) at 8.3 x 6.7. I’m wondering if anyone who uses a cork pouch can comment on the protection it gives a tablet, or if you would simply get padded if you could do over? I don’t think the little bit of extra space would be detrimental in any way.

Thanks!
    For your tablet, depending on the bezel, sounds like an 8" or even an 8.9" ? I would recommend considering as I noted in the post above, the Medium Cork Pouch with the horizontal zipper. I would buy a rigid thing book cover style case for your tablet. That will give you as protective a setup as you could hope for from a pouch.

As I noted, padded pouches sound nice but in reality they offer not much more than peace of mind over real protection. Sure they protect from the odd bump but it stops there. A rigid cover adds the sort of protection you really need if using the device as intended, you know somewhere other than the couch or bedroom...as in outside.

I'm still weighing my options for which pouch for my 10.1" tablet but am dead certain about the Medium Cork Organizer pouch for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8"
    http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0317C.html

This one is a bit roomier than the other pouch plus I feel it will be easier to get your tablet in and out of thanks to the horizontal orientation over the vertical.

One super plus from cork is it's naturally waterproof. And that protection never wears out needing to be retreated. Plus cork will out live pretty much all of us here.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0