Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JasonLee
  • 2 Post By daisy

Thread: Accessories for Brain Bag!

Question Accessories for Brain Bag!

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to check out my thread! Basically, I was hoping some members could chime in on what accessories are best suited for the Brain bag.

I have a Brain Bag with the following:
    *Vertical Brain Cell
    *Extra Annex Clips
    *Whistle Sternum Strap
    *Guardian DF Light Strap-Mount (Red)

I am hoping to use the bag for college this upcoming fall.

I think I read somewhere that some accessories are better suited than others (e.g. for packing clothes, one type of material might be better suited than another)

I am not really interested in the following:
    • straps (already have the absolute shoulder strap)
    • dog leash/money belt
    • tri-pod cover
    • water bottle (already have a Hydro Flask)

Anyone have any words of praise for the following products?:

Snake Charmer $30
    Snake Charmer - Organize and tame your cables with this handy pouch - TOM BIHN

Vertical Freudian Slip $45
    Vertical Freudian Slip - Inside a backpack organizer for papers, files, gadgets, and more - TOM BIHN

3D Mesh Organizer Cube $22
    3D Mesh Organizer Cube - Mesh Organizer Pouch - TOM BIHN

Kit $30
    Kit - The Modern Dopp Kit - TOM BIHN

Pack of Cord Zipper Pulls $3
    Pack of Cord Zipper Pulls - Replace the metal zipper pulls on your bag with Cord Zipper Pulls - TOM BIHN

Packing Cubes $17.00 - $20
    Packing Cubes - Travel Packing Cubes organize your travel bag and keep clothes neat - TOM BIHN

Cordura Organizer Pouches $7 - $14
    Cordura Organizer Pouches - Organizer Pouches Made of 1000 or 500d tough Cordura nylon. Lots of colors. - TOM BIHN

Clear Quarter Packing Cube $30
    Clear Quarter Packing Cube - Organizational pouch for toiletries, electronics, more - TOM BIHN

3D Dyneema/nylon Organizer Cube $26
    3D Dyneema/nylon Organizer Cube - Ultralight organizer pouch - TOM BIHN

Clear Organizer Pouches $8 - $15
    Clear Organizer Pouches - Organizer pouches with a clear front window - TOM BIHN

Dyneema/nylon Organizer Pouches $10 - $16
    Dyneema/nylon Organizer Pouches - Organizer pouches made out of ultralight Dyneema/nylon ripstop - TOM BIHN

Ballistic Nylon Organizer Pouches $9 - $13
    Ballistic Nylon Organizer Pouches - Organizer pouches made of U.S. 1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon - TOM BIHN

Travel Tray $22
    Travel Tray - Genius travel bowl and organizational tool in one. - TOM BIHN

Side Effect $40
    Side Effect - waist pack / shoulder bag / interior organizer - TOM BIHN

Thanks,
    Jason

EDIT:
    I heard the Aeronaut Large Cubes work with the Brain Bag in the thread below:
    Brain Bag and Packing Cubes

Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) $40
    Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) - Travel Packing Cube converts to an ultralight backpack - TOM BIHN
    Last edited by JasonLee; 06-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.

The list of items I do NOT have is shorter than the list of the ones I DO have...
    I can personally vouch for all of them except the following .... :-)

Snake Charmer $30
    Snake Charmer - Organize and tame your cables with this handy pouch - TOM BIHN

Vertical Freudian Slip $45
    Vertical Freudian Slip - Inside a backpack organizer for papers, files, gadgets, and more - TOM BIHN

3D Mesh Organizer Cube $22
    3D Mesh Organizer Cube - Mesh Organizer Pouch - TOM BIHN

Kit $30
    Kit - The Modern Dopp Kit - TOM BIHN
    The items that are best for you will depend on how you will use the bag..

I am hoping to use the bag for college this upcoming fall.
    Perhaps if you put up a list of items you will carry in your bag every day - we can help you narrow it down ... although I could easily just say buy one of everything, and many of some .... they WILL get used eventually.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    The list of items I do NOT have is shorter than the list of the ones I DO have...
    I can personally vouch for all of them except the following .... :-)

The items that are best for you will depend on how you will use the bag..

Perhaps if you put up a list of items you will carry in your bag every day - we can help you narrow it down ... although I could easily just say buy one of everything, and many of some .... they WILL get used eventually.

Thanks! I am looking for an accessory to put clothes in, in case I have to sleep over or something. I'm leaning toward the Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) for $40... Thinking I might pick up 2 in wasabi.

Any other things I should get/you would highly recommend for clothes-packing? Maybe one or two packing cubes (aeronaut large steel)?
    Last edited by JasonLee; 06-30-2013 at 09:28 PM.

I have 2 Brain Bags used for everything from domestic U.S travel to long car trips to classes with heavy book load.

The Vertical Freudian Slip is a must, it is very handy to organize note taking things you will need at the library. for study groups
    and even in your room during finals.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Packing Cube Backpacks (Aeronaut), may I suggest one in Wasabi and one in Steel so that you can differentiate top from bottoms, fancy versus casual wear, clean versus sweaty, salty workout, bike or swim wear...

A Kit fits in each side pockets and a couple of Mini Pouches in the top front pocket.

The Kit is a really versatile, I have 4 in various colors, the Ballistic fabric is as tough as it is elegant.
    It saved the day as a fancy clutch when a fancy clutch had been forgotten.

Beyond that, it's great to carry all sorts of things, note taking stuff (pens, mini notebook, highlighters); bike stuff; energy bars; health stuff (OTC meds, epi pen, band aid in a Mini Pouch); computer/electronic stuff (extra batteries, chargers, usb drives in Mini Pouches)

3D Dyneema/nylon, Mesh and Clear Organizer Cubes are half the size of a Clear Quarter Packing Cube, All are extremely handy to carry things which are 3D whether you want to keep your things lightweight and private or lightweight and ready to find at a glance.

Most pictures on Tom Bihn's Flicker are symphonies to the glory of Organizer Pouches: Cordura, Dyneema, Ballistic, all fabric or with a Clear front.
    I can attest to their usefulness at keeping small stuff corralled, which would otherwise, end up in the bottom of my Tom Bihn Bag(s) leading to the dig into a haystack and not finding a needle, kind of experience.

Travel Tray: best travel accessory I ever bought. Before, I regularly left small stuff in hotel rooms, after, all the small stuff goes into the Travel Tray.

I use the Packing Cube Backpacks and Packing Cube Shoulder Bags and Travel Stuff Sacks instead of Packing Cubes, I like the versatility of using them as ultra light Backpacks/Shoulder Bags at my destination.

Pack of Cord Zipper Pulls, I have not found them necessary for the substantial metal zipper pulls of the Brain Bags but they might be a welcome addition for accessories with smaller metal zipper pulls.

I don't have a Snake Charmer nor a Side Effect, I am waiting for a favorite color to be made on the second.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-01-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Vertical Freudian Slip - 1 in black
    Kit - 1 in black
    Packing Cube Backpacks (Aeronaut) - 1 in wasabi, 1 in steel

Will get these definitely.

Anything else I might need? Thanks by the way! I think I linked your post in my first post haha

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLee View Post
    Vertical Freudian Slip - 1 in black
    Kit - 1 in black
    Packing Cube Backpacks (Aeronaut) - 1 in wasabi, 1 in steel

Will get these definitely.

Anything else I might need? Thanks by the way! I think I linked your post in my first post haha

Yes i know.

The post above should answer the anything else I might need question but I could help better if I knew for example, if you plan to be a science, art, letters, law, history, geography, archaeology... major and hobbies you practice.

I went for swimming because of the heat, working out and biking because they seem the most prevalent physical activities.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Yes i know.

The post above should answer the anything else I might need question but I could help better if I knew for example, if you plan to be a science, art, letters, law, history, geography, archaeology... major and hobbies you practice.

I went for swimming because of the heat, working out and biking because they seem the most prevalent physical activities.
    I am a bio major, but I don't expect to be packing anything more than some pants and jeans at most. I'm planning on carrying a laptop (already have the brain cell 2s) a small EDC flashlight, some extra batteries for that flashlight, textbooks, notebooks, small pencil pouch, umbrella and a water bottle. This is the general idea. I figure I can put batteries and my flashlight inside of the kit, but I'm not sure how well clothes are organized inside the aeronaut packing cube backpack. I think I might need to put my clothes in a packing cube inside the aeronaut bag, inside my brain bag. Bagception!

I don't foresee playing sports other than basketball or just jogging, but I only need some shorts then. I will definitely be working out, but I'm not sure I will be using the brain bag (I baby my stuff and would hate to get sweat on the BB)

I want an accessory that opens up flat and closes into a cube. Zippers and non-clear preferred. I guess my choice is the large aeronaut packing cube? But then again... Maybe I should get the clear quarter packing cube since it is 3x bigger at 1.5x the cost....
    Last edited by JasonLee; 07-01-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Maybe I should get the clear quarter packing cube since it is 3x bigger at 1.5x the cost....
    I am not sure that this is true? CQPC is not that large.
    --------------------------------

I am a bio major, but I don't expect to be packing anything more than some pants and jeans at most. I'm planning on carrying a laptop (already have the brain cell 2s) a small EDC flashlight, some extra batteries for that flashlight, textbooks, notebooks, small pencil pouch, umbrella and a water bottle. This is the general idea. I figure I can put batteries and my flashlight inside of the kit, but I'm not sure how well clothes are organized inside the aeronaut packing cube backpack. I think I might need to put my clothes in a packing cube inside the aeronaut bag, inside my brain bag. Bagception!

I don't foresee playing sports other than basketball or just jogging, but I only need some shorts then. I will definitely be working out, but I'm not sure I will be using the brain bag (I baby my stuff and would hate to get sweat on the BB)

I want an accessory that opens up flat and closes into a cube. Zippers and non-clear preferred. I guess my choice is the large aeronaut packing cube? But then again... Maybe I should get the clear quarter packing cube since it is 3x bigger at 1.5x the cost....
    The Aeronaute Packing Cube Backpack is just like any other Packing Cube, except it can be used as a Bacpack at the destination.

The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is like two 3D Clear Organizer Cubes stuck together, it is not comparable in size to Large Aeronaute Packing Cube which seems to be the size of Packing Cube Bacpack for Aeronaute (the clothes pictured look like what I fill the Packing Cube Bacpack for Aeronaute with.

The Aeronaute Packing Cube Backpack is just like any other Packing Cube, except it can be used as a Bacpack at the destination.
    ^^^^^^^

I don't see why you (the OP) really need two Packing Cube Backpacks. You can't really wear them both at the same time without looking a little foolish. Save the $20 and just get one, and a regular large Aeronaut Packing Cube.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I am not sure that this is true? CQPC is not that large.
    Oh man... I don't know how I got that number haha. The QCPC volume is 165 cubic inches, but the volume for the large packing cubes (aeronaut) is not listed (only the dimensions). My bad!

The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is like two 3D Clear Organizer Cubes stuck together, it is not comparable in size to Large Aeronaute Packing Cube which seems to be the size of Packing Cube Bacpack for Aeronaute (the clothes pictured look like what I fill the Packing Cube Bacpack for Aeronaute with.
    I think I will get one Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) in Wasabi (ditching the steel - for reasons mentioned by itsablur below)

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    ^^^^^^^

I don't see why you (the OP) really need two Packing Cube Backpacks. You can't really wear them both at the same time without looking a little foolish. Save the $20 and just get one, and a regular large Aeronaut Packing Cube.
    I think this is what I will end up doing. Thank you for bringing me to my senses (and saving me some cash) haha

Current shopping cart:
    (1) Kit - Black = $30
    (1) Vertical Freudian Slip - Black = $45
    (1) Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) - Wasabi = $40
    (1) Travel Tray - Solar = $22
    (2) Packing Cubes (Aeronaut Large) - Steel = $40 ($20/each)
    (2) Pack of Cord Zipper Pulls - Black = $6 ($3/each)
    Total: $183 + shipping

Only thing I am unsure about is the freudian slip... How "useful" is it if I already have folders (Five Star "Stay Put" Folders) and a dedicated pencil pouch (Black Nomadic PE-08)

EDIT:
    I don't think I will get the freudian slip. Just doesn't seem suited to me. Since I already have folders and a pouch, I don't really need to spend $45 when I could just get a nice binder or something to put the folders in.

Updated Shopping Cart:
    (1) Kit - Black = $30
    (2) Pack of Cord Zipper Pulls - Black = $6 ($3/each)
    (1) Travel Tray - Solar = $22
    (2) Packing Cubes (Aeronaut Large) - Steel = $40 ($20/each)
    (1) Key Strap 16" - Black = $2
    (1) Handle Loop - w/ Snaphook = $3
    (1) Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut) - Steel = $40
    (1) Padded Organizer Pouch - Medium (Black) + Handle Loop with O-Ring = $16
    Total: $159.00 + shipping
    Last edited by JasonLee; 07-01-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Impressive list ... perhaps at least one smaller packing cube may be useful.. I have the aeronaut PCBP and it holds a LOT.

I use the shoulder bag packing cube as my just-in-case-I-stay-over clothes cube and it holds plenty.

This pic shows the SBPC next to the PCBP .. with an A4 ringbound book for scale.

IMG_1980.jpg by theroundroom

Also - if you don't already have small organiser pouches ... they're pretty useful....

Thread:Zippered Pouches Rock

disclaimer - I'm just thinking about organising issues - I do not own a brain bag.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Impressive list ... perhaps at least one smaller packing cube may be useful.. I have the aeronaut PCBP and it holds a LOT.

I use the shoulder bag packing cube as my just-in-case-I-stay-over clothes cube and it holds plenty.

This pic shows the SBPC next to the PCBP .. with an A4 ringbound book for scale.

IMG_1980.jpg by theroundroom

Also - if you don't already have small organiser pouches ... they're pretty useful....

Thread:Zippered Pouches Rock

disclaimer - I'm just thinking about organising issues - I do not own a brain bag.
    What color is that bag? It looks pinkish...
    Last edited by JasonLee; 07-02-2013 at 01:02 AM.

What color is that bag? It looks pinkish...
    Both Iberian - just a really bad phone picture, incandescent lighting which probably didn't help - I've always had trouble getting a decent picture of Iberian things ... Don't worry - It most definitely is not pink....

Name:  tom bihn.png
Views: 473
Size:  110.6 KB
    Ordered!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0