Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fdiaz64
  • 1 Post By logista
  • 1 Post By geekmom
  • 1 Post By geekmom

Thread: relatively minimalist for macbook pro 13 - ristretto or cafe bag?

relatively minimalist for macbook pro 13 - ristretto or cafe bag?

Just got my first mac - macbook pro 13 with retina display. She sure is pretty.

I need a bag for travel and around town type adventures. I am torn between the ristretto and the cafe bags. Would the macbook fit in a medium cafe bag with a cache/sleeve? I think the large may be too big for my needs, and when it doesn't have a computer in it the MCB would be a fairly ideal casual purse size for me and my three kiddos.

Also weighing the built in padded compartment in the ristretto vs a cache in a cafe bag (or other messenger).

Thoughts?

I think that if you're planning to use the bag as a non-computer bag often, a Cafe Bag might be a good option; however, while the MCB fits my iPad quite well, it really doesn't accommodate my 13" MBP. Then again, mine isn't a Retina so others might have different opinions. If you're truly not carrying much on purse days, and have items that would fit in the built-in compartment (like papers, storybooks, etc), I think you'd find the Ristretto much less frustrating to use as a computer bag since it was designed for that purpose. Just my 2c.

I have a large cafe bag and it barely fits the 13" MacBook Air my girlfriend uses. I can't imagine it fitting into a medium cafe bag, but others may be able to enlighten us.

Just looking at the specs of the bags in question, the MCB is quite a fair bit smaller than the Ristretto for 13" MBA/MBP. Over 2" shorter, an inch narrower, and almost 2" thinner. Just on spec alone, that looks like a tight fit if you assume the laptop pocket on the Ristretto is basically an integrated Cache (more or less) and sized pretty much to fit. The LCB looks closer in dimensions, but is still shorter and thinner, while being wider (it is more square overall), but as fdiaz64 notes, it's a tight fit with a 13" MBA.

Seeing as the Ristretto is reasonably thicker than the Cafe Bags are, even on days you don't have the laptop with you it quite possibly could still fit more in it as an EDC bag.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Volunteer Moderator
    I'd say your choices are between the Large Cafe bag, with a cache, or the Ristretto to hold your 13" MacBook Pro. if you like the horizontal orientation, there,are still some Imagos left (including Aubergine/Hemp/Steel!).
    Last edited by moriond; 06-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geekmom View Post
    Would the macbook fit in a medium cafe bag with a cache/sleeve?
    No, it won't. Here's an MBA 11" in a Medium Cafe Bag

Too tall! by logista, on Flickr

You're better off using either a LCB or a Ristrettro.

Thanks so much for the replies... I looked at the dimensions on the medium and the large cafe bags. I think the medium will be great for a casual everyday purse/ipad mini bag, but I went with the aubergine/steel ristretto for right now. I am sure this is the beginning of a new bag obsession.... just as we are getting out of the diaper bag stage!! LOL. I will post pics when it arrives

My spouse carries his 13" MBP retina in a ristretto. He really likes the setup. I definitely recommend an absolute strap if you go that route. The MBP is not as light as an Air.

i ordered the absolute strap with it! I am now obsessively stalking the UPS website.

Received my Aubergine ristretto yesterday. Oh my goodness, I am in love!
    snowbot likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0