Thread: Smart Alec

Smart Alec

Hi guys,

Just purchased a Smart Alec with top pouch, a SideKeeper, a and some tool straps. I found about your bags on the EDC Forum.

I am a firefighter/fire investigator and am planning to use the Smart Alec for a daily bag and a call out bag. I carry an IPad daily and am wondering the best way to pack it in my bag, would a cache with rails work? My IPad has a Logitech keyboard which adds a little bulk to it. I only take it to work and never to the fire ground.

I am also looking foward to tether some of my tools onto/into the bag with the keykeepers and I am not sure which pouches I am going to need just yet, there are so many choices.

I don't think I will use the SideKeeper with the bag, maybe use it as a fanny pack, but who knows.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

John

I don't think the Smart Alec has the Gate Keeper mount points inside the bag for a Cache on Rails. It does have Annex clips for hooking in a Brain Cell though. You could either just use any sleeve case like the Cache and just left it float within the bag, or perhaps try the smallest size Brain Cell (13" MacBook Air?). With the Logitech keyboard, that might take up enough room in the Brain Cell that the iPad won't rattle around much in it, but you'd have to check the measurements.

Thanks for the info, even if I kept it loose in the bag inside of a cache that would be fine. Currently I am using a 511 Covrt 18 and I keep in the hydration area of the bag in a sleeve and it is just fine.

John

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Beau's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums, MTFire! As itsablur already indicated the Smart Alec isn't Cache w/ Rails compatible, just to confirm. I know you said that functionality isn't absolutely necessary, but regardless, you might want to check out the Synapse 25 (if you haven't already) in case you want a backpack of similar capacity to the Smart Alec that can utilize the Cache w/ Rails. Also, since you're carrying an iPad with a Logitech Keyboard, you'll probably want to go with the Air 11 Cache rather than the iPad size to account for the extra bulk.
    Last edited by Beau; 06-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.

What's nice about the Smart Alec, is the ability to expand the capacity beyond the bag interior. You can get the upper and lower modular pouches in addition to the bungee cord built in to the exterior and the extra gate keeper straps that you can purchase. It also works great with packing cubes.

Arnie,

Love your avatar!

Going to be a long year.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Welcome to the forums, MTFire! As itsablur already indicated the Smart Alec isn't Cache w/ Rails compatible, just to confirm. I know you said that functionality isn't absolutely necessary, but regardless, you might want to check out the Synapse 25 (if you haven't already) in case you want a backpack of similar capacity to the Smart Alec that can utilize the Cache w/ Rails. Also, since you're carrying an iPad with a Logitech Keyboard, you'll probably want to go with the Air 11 Cache rather than the iPad size to account for the extra bulk.
    Thanks Beau,

The Smart Alec will be here tomorrow, I like its features more than the Synapse. The Air 11 cache should work. I don't carry the zip ad all of the time, from work to home and back and I never take it to fire scenes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by MTFire View Post
    Arnie,

Love your avatar!

Going to be a long year.

John
    Thanks...sure looks that way

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0