Traveling with Aeronaut and Synapse 25

I have owned my Aeronaut for a number of years, and in the past, I have traveled with it overseas on 2-3 week trips a few times already without checking luggage. Love this bag. I also own a Checkpoint Flyer, which I use for work, and short business trips.

On those longer vacations, I have used the Aeronaut/CF combo, but always felt like they were not a perfect match for me, for the following reasons:
    a) I love carrying the Aeronaut as a backpack, especially in the airport on those international connections where I often have to walk a long distance with no luggage cart in side. The sternum strap/belt strap help divide the weight nicely and make it easy to carry the Aeronaut. But then, that's where it's harder to fit the Checkpoint Flyer in the equation. Whether I carry it with the shoulder strap or by the handles, it throws things out of balance.

b) Ever since I got a larger/nicer camera with a longer lense, I need to pack that too, and my CF just looks like I tried to pack a basketball into a pizza box. In other words, the CF works well for me with rectangular items (laptop, books, paperwork, all the stuff I can fit in the Slip), but for leisure trips, I wanted to find a different alternative. I've tried to pack the camera in the aeronaut, but I just feel like I'm losing precious space that could be used for items that are more malleable.

I just got a Synapse 25, which will definitely allow me to pack a laptop while addressing my second point above. In other words, my camera won't make it look pregnant and will fit nicely in there, along with the other things I want to bring for a vacation.

However, I'm still wondering if there is a good way to carry both the Aeronaut and the Synapse together on longer distances, knowing that I like to carry the Aeronaut on my back, and the Synapse is... a backpack. I wonder if anyone has found a way to carry both bags together efficiently and somewhat ergonomically. I see a couple of straps on my Aeronaut, and there's a spare short strap on my Synapse... The Synapse also has its own belt strap, but I'm not sure if I should try strapping the Synapse on my Aeronaut and carry them together. I could try to create some sort of Frankenbag, but I'm not sure if that would work. Anyone here ever tried this? Any input would be appreciated.

There's a thread about carrying two bags Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle style somewhere here. You'd carry the Aeronaut on your back and the Synapse 25 on your front, like how they make you carry backpacks in museums.
    Last edited by Rocks; 06-20-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: forgot to capitalize T turtle

Yes, that could work. I had initially tried that, but found the setup uncomfortable because the Synapse was coming up right to my throat. Then last night, I realized how stupid I was, and tried again, but this time adjusting the length of straps. That definitely works.

I might still try to find a way to stack them, to avoid having 2 sets of straps on my shoulders. I'll have to do some trial and error for that.

jea
    I travel a lot for work, and my typical combo is the Aeronaut + Synapse 19. My normal carry is Synapse on my back and Aeronaut over the shoulder on an Absolute strap. I do agree though that the Aeronaut is most comfortable in a backpack style carry, particularly if you have a heavier load. I guess I'm just too self conscious to do the Teenage Mutant Ninja style double backpack, with the exception of whenever I have had to cover a lot of ground real fast (i.e. late for a connection). Carrying the Aeronaut largely on my shoulder has had the unexpected benefit of forcing me to really think about weight and to limit my packing list. I find that when I go with the "pack no more than 10% of your own weight" rule, the Aeronaut is pretty comfortable over the shoulder.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0