Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By TXGirl
  • 5 Post By Moose
  • 3 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By traveler38
  • 1 Post By Hollie

Thread: Dyneema vs Cordura

Dyneema vs Cordura

I am trying to decide between Dyneema and Cordura for a Synapse 25. I am leaning towards Cordura. I have experience with it and know what it is capable of. With that said the Dyneema is neat looking. What helped others make their decisions, and after making your purchase do you have regrets. How is Dyneema holding up long term. I tend to take good care of my stuff, but want something to hold up long term and be there when I need it to.

Thanks for the help. I look forward to making my first Tom Bihn purchase.

I have my first order on route i have a mixture if the two and will report back to you when they arrive.

I had a Synapse 19 in Cordura for approx 3 years. I just recently sold it so I could get another Synapse, but in Dyneema. I prefer the Dyneema because I like the way it feels & looks over the Cordura, but also because the Cordura always picked up my dog's hair. It wasn't alot, but it was enough to annoy me.
    dorayme likes this.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

I am a big Cordura fan, I love the bright, yet subtle colors which look great in casual as well as professional environments.

Most of my Tom Bihn Bags and Accessories were Cordura until last Holiday season when I bought a set of Travel Dyneema (400 D) bags: Synapse 19, Small Cafe Bag, Tristar and Aeronaute.

Prior to that I got a slew of Everyday Dyneema (200 D) accessories to work with the Travel Bags.

After traveling in Europe and the U.S, for 2 weeks, with carry on Dyneema bags weighing less then 10 Kilos/20 pounds each, I am completely sold on Dyneema.

It feels great to not have to struggle to put the bag in the overhead and the huge trek that passengers are forced to take at international airports is bearable with Dyneema bags.

I checked the Aeronaute and Tristar in Dyneema, once and they came out of the rough checked bags handling like champs!

After Sapphire Cordura was retired, I repurposed the Brain Bag and Large Cafe Bag in that color from domestic travel bags to mobile office bags, easy to grab in a hurry. They were bought in 07/08, I think, and they look brand new despite being dragged on domestic flights, car trips and train rides.

If you live in a hot climate, use airlines that will not force people with lightweight carry on to check their bags or will use the Synapse 25 primarily as an EDC (everyday carry bag) go for Dyneema.

I have 2 Synapse 19 in different colors Dyneema, I haven't used other Tom Bihn Bags as much eversince I got them.

I believe I will probably get a Synapse 25 in Dyneema if I need a bigger EDC bag, unless I need a more professional looking bag which will be in Ballistic and briefcase like (Cadet, Western Flyer, Tristar or whatever the Tom Bihn Crew comes up with)

Everything Tom Bihn makes holds up long term, people still have Tom Bihn Bags made a decade or two ago.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-16-2013 at 01:43 PM.

HI cpmorgan,
    I have a mixture of cordura and dyneema. I have two Synapse 19s. One plum cordura and one ultraviolet dyneema. Here are the primary differences I see: dyneema is definitely more casual in nature. it has a bit more "give" to it, that is I can stuff more in a dyneema bag than a cordura bag, or so it seems. Dyneema sheds dirt, hair, fuzz and sand. Cordura absolutley does NOT. I've carried my dyneema Syanpse for many months now. It has been tossed, kicked, scoot-ed, and otherwise abused and doesn't show even the smallest amount of wear.

The cordura has a lovely depth of color that dyneema doesn't match. It is more "professional" looking, no doubt about it. I carried it for a long time too, it looks just like new. One would never know it was semi-gently abused. The bottom of my Swift is cordura (at least I'm pretty sure it is). I've carried that for over a year now and you'd never know it. It shows no wear whatsoever.

For me it all comes down to casual/more professional. They will both wear like iron so that's not an issue. I personally have NO regrets about my either of my dyneema Synapses (a 19 and a new last week 25) I love them both. If I were you I'd go with the dyneema, if you really just don't like it (which I can't imagine) you could trade it for a cordura one. As for the 25 VS the 19, the 25 is perfect. I finally have one bag I can get all my everyday stuff in, lunch, extra shoes, I'm loving it!!! I got steel and ultraviolet, it really is beautiful. I also like the heavier weight dyneema a lot!
    Please let us know what you decide,
    Moose

All this seems like my nickles worth, way more verbose than two cents.
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 06-17-2013 at 04:34 AM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    HI backpack,
    I have a mixture of cordura and dyneema. I have two Synapse 19s. One plum cordura and one ultraviolet dyneema. Here are the primary differences I see: dyneema is definitely more casual in nature. it has a bit more "give" to it, that is I can stuff more in a dyneema bag than a cordura bag, or so it seems. Dyneema sheds dirt, hair, fuzz and sand. Cordura absolutley does NOT. I've carried my dyneema Syanpse for many months now. It has been tossed, kicked, scoot-ed, and otherwise abused and doesn't show even the smallest amount of wear.

The cordura has a lovely depth of color that dyneema doesn't match. It is more "professional" looking, no doubt about it. I carried it for a long time too, it looks just like new. One would never know it was semi-gently abused. The bottom of my Swift is cordura (at least I'm pretty sure it is). I've carried that for over a year now and you'd never know it. It shows no wear whatsoever.

For me it all comes down to casual/more professional. They will both wear like iron so that's not an issue. I personally have NO regrets about my either of my dyneema Synapses (a 19 and a new last week 25) I love them both. If I were you I'd go with the dyneema, if you really just don't like it (which I can't imagine) you could trade it for a cordura one. As for the 25 VS the 19, the 25 is perfect. I finally have one bag I can get all my everyday stuff in, lunch, extra shoes, I'm loving it!!! I got steel and ultraviolet, it really is beautiful. I also like the heavier weight dyneema a lot!
    Moose

Moose

Dear Moose, do you know that you are responsible for most of my purple Tom Bihn purchase? Dorayme being the other purple loving lady taking beautiful pictures.

After your lovely pictures of the Plum Field Journal Notebook, I could not resist getting one.

And I also have a UV Synapse 19 and a Nordic one.

Same conclusion about the Swift with the Cordura bottom, my first one was one of the first batches, I think, it has gone everywhere but a plane. I used it to carry library haul in three different cities, it helped with car travel, invaluable in its toughness.

Same is true for the Brain Bags in Cordura, so tough, they are used by people in really harsh condition. I missed the last batch of Plum Brain Bags.

I didn't get a plum Brain Bag. I have a olive one though. The problem with it is that it gets REALLY heavy really fast. If I have a smaller bag I, obviously, pack less and don't throw my back out of whack packing it around. I really should sell it. The motivation just hasn't hit me yet.

I'd like to apologize for being such a purple bag enabler but it would be an empty apology. I do wish kiwi was a more popular color. I simply love it.

Take care,
    Moose

Im now the owner of Aeronaut in Crodura & Packing cube backpack ,Smart Alec in Dyneema.
    in short Daily carry around city & Town Dyneem is fine,wider trips and lugging & throwing stuff on/ off of buses,trains for mile upon mile ,dragged by the handle,hurdled etc Cordura seems better.

I was in the fence about my aeronauts materials but im 100% convinced Cordura was the right choice for long travel.
    Smart Alec just short day to day stiff Dyneema is fine.

Just my view

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    J4c3 do you mean Ballistic?
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    HI cpmorgan,

Moose

Moose
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm facing a similar dilemma at the moment. I really had my heart set on the black / iberian (cordura) color combination for the Synapse 19, but since that won't be available until early November I'm considering the dyneema instead which is available today. So I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate a little bit on two points that you made:

1. You say that "cordura absolutely does NOT shed dirt, hair, fuzz and sand." Do you consider this to be a drawback of cordura?

2. You say that the cordura has a depth of color and a premanent "new look" that is unmatched by the dyneema. What exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks very much in advance!
    Moose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler38 View Post
    Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm facing a similar dilemma at the moment. I really had my heart set on the black / iberian (cordura) color combination for the Synapse 19, but since that won't be available until early November I'm considering the dyneema instead which is available today. So I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate a little bit on two points that you made:

1. You say that "cordura absolutely does NOT shed dirt, hair, fuzz and sand." Do you consider this to be a drawback of cordura?

2. You say that the cordura has a depth of color and a premanent "new look" that is unmatched by the dyneema. What exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks very much in advance!

Hi traveler38,
    I own stock in 3M lint roller company. I live with a dog AND serve a cat. I think if that were not the case I would have no issue with the cordura. Most of my bags need the occassional clean up, lint roller, damp rag and so on. The cordura fibers seem to have more texture (than the dyneema) that catches critter hair and general life fuzz. The dyneema is slick (that is the best word I can come up with) and nothing sticks to it.

If I said that the cordura has a more "new look" than the dyneema I was off my nut that day. I think the cordura is more "professional" looking. I've drug, kicked, scooted, both fabrics over a variety of surfaces for several months, in some cases years now. Both fabrics hold up well. Neither of them show any signs of wear, as in, frayed corners, loose threads, snags and so on. The depth of color comes, I think, because the nylon in the dyneema does not take up dyes in the same way the cordura does.

All in all I like both fabrics. They wear well, the bags are well made with a great deal of care given to the details. I honestly think you'd be happy with either.

Let me know if I've just made things clear as mud.
    Take care,
    Moose

PS, if you truly have your heart set on the black/iberian, I'd wait. Getting what you want is well worth holding off. You can order now and then rest assured you will have exactly what you want. November is not so far off. Jeepers, where did this year go????
    Last edited by Moose; 09-22-2013 at 12:45 PM.

@traveler38- I second Moose that there's not a bad decision to be made, but don't settle when it comes for color preferences

I just wanted to add that TB and Crew is spectacular with their backordered time estimates. None of the backordered stuff that I've ordered has ever, ever been later than the estimated time and is, more times than not, significantly earlier than its estimated time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    I just wanted to add that TB and Crew is spectacular with their backordered time estimates. None of the backordered stuff that I've ordered has ever, ever been later than the estimated time and is, more times than not, significantly earlier than its estimated time.
    This is been my experience, too! Do not fear the backorder.
    Moose likes this.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0