Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Synapse 25 or Synapse 19?

Synapse 25 or Synapse 19?

I currently have the Synapse 19 on order, but I'm second thinking myself and thinking maybe I should get the S25.
    I'm about 5'2" and for work I carry my laptop 13.03 x 9.57 x 1.23 in, a small pouch, a few mini pouches, Kleen Kanteen, laptop mouse, ipad2 and a few other things.

When I previously had my Cordura Synapse 19 just carrying the laptop alone took up quite a bit of room. The only other time I would carry my Synapse would be when I travel so of course the extra room would be nice.

Do you think the S25 will look ridiculous on me?
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I'm 5'2". I looked at the 19 and 25 side by side at the factory. I didn't think it would look ridiculous to carry. I am fundraising by selling two of my very much loved, but duplicate and lesser used bags to order my 25. I agree, that once inside, the laptop could make the 19 feel small, depending on the type of sleeve you use to protect it, most of that due to the shape, not capacity, but nevertheless, depending on what your few other things are, it could be tight.

I just slipped my 13" MacBook inside of my 19 and it definitely had plenty room for the rest, but I put it in there nekkid. Another way to look at things that might help is the 19 is a little less capacity than the Swift and the 25 is the same capacity as the Western Flyer.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

It's just my work laptop so I don't carry it with a sleeve. I really don't think it would fit if I did have one.
    That's good to know though that you seen both sizes together in the factory & don't think it will look ridiculous. Such a tough decision..lol
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

no sleeve? I think the 19 will work just fine and not give you cause to bring along more than you need to. Unless the "other stuff" would be something like a rigid lunch case or similarly bulky and kind of on the medium to largish size thing. Then I would say go for the 25.

I remember when I was contemplating the Tri Star vs. The Western Flyer. I kept going back and forth on which would be the best, which would allow for me to carry just the right amount of stuff. Which would make the the happiest in the long run. Which would be joy to carry. I laid them both out on the factory store table and imagine packed for a trip. I bought my WF that day. I looked at both side by side and to me the WF was a clear winner for my needs. Before that point I kept thinking that the extra space would be handy in the Tri Star but when I saw them both before me I realized I was wrong. It would have encouraged me to pack in excess which in the end would have made me feel like I was sabotaging myself. There may be an occasion when it would have been beneficial for me to have a TS, but overall, having something a manageable size, helps me to be more selective about what actually goes into my bag. Tom is right when he says you have more fun the less you bring. Also getting the WF gave me the freedom later on to add an Aeronaut, which I adore over the TS. If I had gotten a TS, I would not have had as much desire to try the Aeronaut.

If you are able, buy both and return one. If not, go with your gut for what you actually intend to bring.
    TXGirl likes this.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    I am fundraising by selling two of my very much loved, but duplicate and lesser used bags to order my 25.
    Hi, Dorayme: Once you get the Synapse 25, I'd appreciate a post about your opinion, and a photo of you wearing it! I am also 5'2" and would have ordered that bag if they had not recommended against it.
    dorayme likes this.

bchaplin, I would be happy to do so. I love sharing what I think of the TB bags, and am not afraid of the camera.

I'm 5'6" with a long torso, I'm not sure I could recommend the 25 for someone shorter than me. The bottom of the pack will stop somewhere mid-butt and the hip strap won't be fully functional.

Name:  P1020857_medium2.JPG
Views: 2752
Size:  222.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Based on all the pictures that I've seen and all the reviews that I've read, I really don't think that the Synapse 25 would be a good idea for someone who's 5'2". Just look at the picture above (Tzporah) - it looks like if you're any shorter than her, the Synapse 25 isn't such a good idea. Just my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by traveler38 View Post
    it looks like if you're any shorter than her, the Synapse 25 isn't such a good idea. Just my 2 cents!
    I may not get an opportunity to report back as I hoped. I am running out of time to have the Synapse 25 shipped and delivered before I head off to camp. I'm waiting for payment on the Imago but if it comes too late, I will be out of luck. . .

The Synapse (the 25 at least) has a section at the bottom back that seems formed to mold right around your lower back. I find the bag the most comfortable when i've got it adjusted just right so that section is in the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler38 View Post
    Based on all the pictures that I've seen and all the reviews that I've read, I really don't think that the Synapse 25 would be a good idea for someone who's 5'2". Just look at the picture above (Tzporah) - it looks like if you're any shorter than her, the Synapse 25 isn't such a good idea. Just my 2 cents!
    I agree! I think the 19 is perfect for 5'2"

Thanks for the pic, Tzporah. I decided just to keep my S19 on order.

Dorayme, can't wait to see pics of your S25.

I'm looking forward to it more than you! TBAS has set in!

I was on the fence about ordering the 25 because of my height, but found with a longer torso it works for me. I'm glad the pictures help.

We're undecided as well. I'm thinking the 19 for my 5'4" wife and probably the same for me. I'll mainly be carrying a smaller DSLR with a larger lens and the odds and ends of phone and charger and such and she'll have her iPad and charger with phone and small stuff. We'll both be carrying a second carry on and use the Synapse as around town bags in Ireland etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0