Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip

Thread: Packing Cubes and Seasonal Storage

Packing Cubes and Seasonal Storage

Does anyone use packing cubes to store clothes that are out of season? Which ones do you use, what other methods are effective for Seasonal Storage?

I keep my cubes (and bags) empty when they're not in use, simply because I think it would be pain to have to empty them every time I travel, and also because they store better if they're relatively flat. However, if you travel only 1-2 times a season, I could see the cubes and bags being handy for stashing items.

I keep my out of season items in a rubbermaid that lives on the floor of my closet. Basically, if an item doesn't fit in there, I find something and get rid of it. This method has been helpful in terms of keeping my overall allotment of stuff manageable. My flat-and-empty bags live on top of the rubbermaid.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I've no idea what a "Rubbermaid" is, but the image I have in my mind comes from a Japanese detective story, is far from wholesome, doesn't belong on this site and I'm sure isn't anything like what you're referring to! "Two nations separated by a common language"?
    earth5 likes this.

I do the same thing except the tubs are replaced by tub sized zippered plastic bags.

Lighter weight means ease of evacuation, which is not negligible in flash flood country.

Rubbermaid and plastic sound like good options. Do you ever have an issue with the clothes smelling "stale" when packed away for a long time in them? I was thinking breathability is important if I don't vacuum seal.

@ Eric, Rubbermaid is a brand of plastic storage box with a lid. The boxes come in various shapes and sizes and are designed for food storage, household storage, and heavy-duty applications such as in the garage.

@ Drew, I haven't really noticed an issue. I just air everything out for a few days. I think you can layer (unscented, dye-free) dryer sheets between clothes to keep them fresh. I make sure everything is laundered or dry-cleaned before I store.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0