Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ebags,Eagle Creek Cubes, TB Cubes

Hello everyone!

I'm a proud owner of a Synapse 19 in black/wasabi and I love it!

So far I have a 3d clear organizer and small mesh pouch on the bottom pocket, a mini clear pouch on the left pocket, and a 3d clear organizer hooked/rigged on top inside of the main compartment.

Now I'm just looking into the right combinations of packing cubes for the main compartment that will also allow my 3d clear organizer pouch to sit on top of the main compartment.

I'm going to Kauai for a one week trip in April 2014 for my Honeymoon and I'm looking to one bag it. Yeah!!

Anyone have any experience with either of the three cubes? I like the TB cubes but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

The TB cubes so far I can get 1 med cube, 1 small cube, and 1 size one stuff sack.

How about the eBag cubes? Or eagle cubes? Which combinations of cubes can fit in the main compartment?

I have all three types of cubes. In my opinion, the eBag cubes are the heaviest and least flexible. I bought them only because they are perfectly sized for the eBags suitcase I own. I just tried the medium-sized one in my own Synapse 19 and I don't think it fits very well. Perhaps the small would, though?

Someone else posted in a different thread how she packs her Synapse with Eagle Creek Specter cubes. I think they are a good match for a small bag like the Synapse, where every little way you can save space is helpful. I just got the full-size one, and will use it for travels where I am trying to keep the weight down. They are cheaper on Amazon than from their own web site or REI.

However, I also have the Tom Bihn Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (Packing Cube Shoulder Bag - Travel Packing Cube Converts to a Shoulder / Messenger Bag - TOM BIHN), and I regularly use one in my Synapse for carrying my gym clothes. The nice thing about this is that it can be removed from the Synapse and carried separately, if you need a light bag to use without taking the entire backpack.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 06-10-2013 at 07:45 AM.

TB Cubes have a lifetime warranty, the others don't. I got a design from the second brand and had to buy a replacement a couple of years later.

I also own a Synapse 19 and indeed, the Tom Bihn Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fit perfectly in the main compartment and just like bchaplin pointed out, can be removed and used as a purse.

I just re-read your post and saw that you might already have a medium sized packing cube from Tom Bihn? It wasn't clear if you own it or are considering the purchase.
    Anyway, definitely, check out this post:
    22 day spring trip with the Synapse 19
    It should give you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    TB Cubes have a lifetime warranty, the others don't. I got a design from the second brand and had to buy a replacement a couple of years later.

I also own a Synapse 19 and indeed, the Tom Bihn Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fit perfectly in the main compartment and just like bchaplin pointed out, can be removed and used as a purse.
    Hmm you make a good point about the lifetime warranty and I think down the road that might be real valuable thing. Also I think of the picture below is the right one, maybe I can replace the medium packing cube with it.

My original plan:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370875221.692915.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  63.2 KB

This one right?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370875234.266067.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  72.9 KB

Also, has anyone tried the compression sack?

Def a good way save a ton of space but the
    Only catch is their sizing. For example, their medium is 16.5x24.5 which means you kind of have to place your close in a way that you can fold it exactly in half making it "two layers" per say and have it measure to 16.5x12.25 as the synapse is 16x11.4. So it's pretty close to it. It's all how you pack it before compressing it. I wish TB made their own compression sacks!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370875581.813949.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  67.8 KB

Here is the compression sacks by eagle creek

The shoulder bag I was referring to was not the one you pictured above, but the small one.
    Here: Packing Cube Shoulder Bag - Travel Packing Cube Converts to a Shoulder / Messenger Bag - TOM BIHN

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I just re-read your post and saw that you might already have a medium sized packing cube from Tom Bihn? It wasn't clear if you own it or are considering the purchase.
    Anyway, definitely, check out this post:
    22 day spring trip with the Synapse 19
    It should give you some ideas.
    So far in terms of the main compartment, I only have the 3d clear
    Organizer and a small Tristar packing cube. And based on my diagram above I only need the size 2 stuff sack and Tristar medium packing cube (or the packing cube backpack like everyone else mentioned)

Will the 3d clear organizer being in top of the main compartment still for with the packing cube backpack replacing Tristar med cube?

I agree with everyone who has mentioned the Packing Cube Shoulder bag. It's oddly my favorite Tom Bihn bag. If you use it as a packing cube in your Synapse, you'd still be one-bagging, with the advantage of having two bags at your destination. Magic!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The shoulder bag I was referring to was not the one you pictured above, but the small one.
    Here: Packing Cube Shoulder Bag - Travel Packing Cube Converts to a Shoulder / Messenger Bag - TOM BIHN
    Ooooooo that one! Well that negates my trigger happy question above regarding of the
    Packing cube backpack will fit with the 3d cube inside it.

Darn I already ordered a small Tristar cube which is the same size as the shoulder bag cube. But! Maybe it's not so bad, my diagram above I can replace the stuff sack with the shoulder bag which will look like this: (or close to it)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370877067.424337.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  56.5 KB

Ahhh I get it. Darn I already bought a small Tristar cube. But I think what I can do is replace the size 2 sack with the shoulder bag, so it looks like this
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370877407.551877.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  58.8 KB

If you just ordered it, you can call Tom Bihn and see if they can change it out. They will usually do this if it hasn't shipped yet.
    OK, enough of my suggestions.
    Good luck with all the travel!

Seabass25, your graphs are sooo impressive!

I am only familiar with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, 3D Cube and the Travel Stuff Sacks.

I know that the 3D Cube fits perfectly in the lower pocket, you can even squeeze in a wind breaker in there as well.

The Packing Cube Shoulder Bag fits in the main compartment with room to spare. The size 4 Travel Stuff Sack fills the room in the main compartment and The size 3 Travel Stuff Sack is a perfect fit for the main compartment inner pocket.

The size 1 Travel Stuff Sack is a perfect fit for the Ultrasuede side pocket.

The size 2 Travel Stuff Sack is a perfect fit for the pen slot side pocket.

I also bought an expensive brand name compression sack and the zipper mechanism failed on my first trip rendering the bag no more useful than an ordinary plastic bag. I wasn't happy.

I replaced it by kitchen zip bags, not brand name (to save money), one box the size of the 3-1-1 bag, the other box gallon size.

I have done something similar with 2 Tristar medium cubes in a Synapse 19 but I stuffed the 3d cube in the bottom pocket zippered pocket. The synapse is a little tighter at the top and I piled some smaller stuff up there rather than another cube.

Thank you guys for all of your help, I think I'm gonna go ahead and keep both shoulder cube bag and smal Tristar cube I fit side by side in the main comparing. Side by side measurement they're a little wider than the main compartment itself but it depends on how you pack them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0