Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Organizer pouches... Which fabric?

Organizer pouches... Which fabric?

Just about to order a Synapse 25 in cordura, and I want to order an assortment of organizer pouches. I will get the pen/pencil pouch in ballistic since that is the only choice, but I am unsure what to order for the rest of the sizes. I need a large size for standard size paper, and the other sizes for other miscellaneous items...

Ballistic, cordura or dyneema... What say you?

Thank you for your advice.

I have pouches in all fabrics - it helps to be able to identify the pouch by feel when getting things out of my bags.

If you are very keen to minimize weight then dyneema is best but I think the feel factor outweighs the dyneema factor ;-)

Also, you end up with samples of the colors and fabrics to help with future purchases.
    List under construction ....

The pen/pencil pouch is also available in the clear plastic organizer, which would allow for cordura or dyneema back fabrics. As a TB newbie, I only have 2 pouches now, both clear plastic (one cordura and one dyneema). I like the concept of the clear plastic pouches, but I find, as others have noted, that the plastic front can be "sticky" against magazines or other similar surfaces in your larger bag.

My next pouches (which may be purchased later today!) will be the cordura and dyneema (no clear plastic). Can't say why I'm not considering the ballistic, other than the pictures suggest these are only available in the dark, muted colors, and I like the bright ones.

I think that the Pouches are great.

Get them in Dyneema, if you want them lightweight as was mentioned before.

Get them in Cordura if you want them colorful.

Get them in Cork if you want them in a beautiful, sustainable, one of a kind fabric with a soft interior.

Get them in Ballistic if you need to transport something in rugged environments for example tools and gear for (bike, camping, field work, outdoor job sites, etc...)

Get them Padded if you transport any electronic, photo, video equipment that need strong protection in a lightweight package.

There is also, the new to me, Mesh Ballistic Nylon that can be used for things like electronic related cables and power units where you can see, at a glance, which one fit into, for example, the phone which is about to go out of power.

I usually prefer Clear Pouches, I haven't had any problem with stickiness but I don't read glossy magazines and I love to see what is where, at a glance.

For me, the two most useful sizes are the Large and the Small, the first fit all kind of paperworks and the second can accommodate extra credit, reward cards and receipt, pens, if necessary, and anything of that dimension.

Mini pouches are great if you need to use touch screen electronic cards, need to wear a badge or have loose change to deal with.

Make sure to check the most useful 3D Pouches.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-08-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Thank you all for the advice and some of the points that I had not thought of...

Having samples of smaller items to give me an idea future purchases makes sense, especially with the expense of these items.

I had not thought about transporting heavier or rougher items that might cause undue wear to the pouch, so your idea of ballistic nylon is food for thought. I cannot see me carrying so many different items that the clear pouches would be necessary, and I would always be worried about cutting the urethane.

It is nice to deal with a company where the superb quality of all the items is an absolute, it is just a matter of choosing which features you want.

The Medium has also its place, especially as a Padded Pouch, since it can accommodate iPad mini sized tablets as well as all kind of Small Cafe Bag sized electronics for people who want a minimalist video, photo, audio setup.

It is also great for a minimalist note taking set with a small Rhodia or other small notepads/notebooks with a couple of pens, I have heard from many users that it prevent the mini notebooks from fraying while tossed around Cafe Bags and Synapses.

The Medium Clear Pouch in Cordura fit the Field Journal Notebook pages refills. 20 pages fit really well, enough for a daily or weekly refill, depending of frequency of writing and handwriting size.

Wonderful video that does a much better job at explaining what fits in what Pouch

Organizer Pouches by Tom Bihn - YouTube
    Last edited by backpack; 06-09-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    jeffmac likes this.

I use a large Dyneema OP for documents. It's a good fit for clipping into my WF, and easily works by itself. The fabric works well since it is smooth, doesn't snag any papers, and is very tough. I find the cordura for the same purpose a little "snaggy" and prefer not having the clear view for the world to see what's in there.
    My other OPs are dyneema/clear, all dyneema or cork. The cork is really special. You should get at least one cork OP. They're tough, look great, and fuzzy inside.
    i use a mini Dyneema for a wallet. The lighter Dyneema colors allow light in. So, it helps illuminate the contents of the OP. (I was lucky enough to score a few OPs in Solar, and they are great for visibility of the contents, and visibility of the pouch itself.)

I love the feel of the dyneema ones, they are light and hard wearing, but they don't look as good as the corder. The cork looks fab, but it's more bulky.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0