Western Flyer vs Synapse 25 - EDC and Air Travel with Lots of Devices
I'm very new to the whole one-bag-travel scene but I came across it recently after growing tired of how often I overpack and I have to say...I'm kind of hooked. Although I am hopeful to eventually get rid of my ridiculously large and heave Samsonite garment suitcase, that is not what I writing for today (I know how the TB addiction works...once you pop, the TB don't stop!)
My question is this: I'm looking for a bag that I can use everyday to/from the office but also for travel. I work in the mobile app/conference/trade-show industry so I'm forced to carry a lot of different devices with me everywhere I go (not the worst problem one could have but it gets heavy and takes up a lot of space...). I like the idea of the Synapse 25 and have read so many great things about it and the 19 but for some reason my gut is telling me that the WF would be better suited for the number of devices I carry everyday, plus the ability to throw in some clothes, if needed. I know they are virtually the same size as far as volume goes but the WF seems more laid out for laptop travel plus I'd like to use the bag for weekend trips, etc.
I currently have a Solo briefcase/messenger bag that works well for the daily carry but I could use more space and I'd love to have some backpack straps (plus the bag itself is pretty heavy, even without the iPads and laptop...). One thing I love about this current bag is my ability to fit two laptops (15.6" Dell and 17" MBP) and not have to remove them at airport security thanks to the bag opening up flat. I don't always carry two laptops but the convenience to do so is really nice! It has a lot of space but where I really need more space is in the front pockets that hold all of my misc. items (not my laptop and iPads).
My daily carry items:
- 15.6" Dell M4500 (this will likely be changing eventually...hopefully to a 15" MBP bc this Dell is so freakin' heavy but this is what I'm rockin' for now...)
- iPad w/ Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard
- iPad Mini
- iPhone (but that goes in my pocket)
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- iPod Touch 5th Gen
- HTC Thunderbolt
- Logitech Wireless Mouse
- A few chargers/cables, screen cloths, earbuds, bluetooth headset, pens, gum, etc.
So what are your thoughts? Since it will get used to/from the office probably 80% of the time, the other 20% will be travelling and on-site at conferences/trade-shows, which bag will I be happier with? I really like them both. Just not sure which will suite me better and be most functional. Figured I would poll the experts. I love how much you can fit into a Synapse but I like stuff to be easily accessible. Oh and I'm pretty sure both bags are fine from a professional-looking standpoint but I do work directly with some high level clients when on show-site so I need something that is decently professional looking (which IMO gives a point to the WF for the ability to have the backpack straps and the shoulder strap).
Thanks for any advice, it is [I]greatly[I] appreciated! I obviously can't make the decision of my first TB purchase on my own! This forum has been crazy helpful, especially the packing and light travel ideas. I'd like to order my bag early next week so I can have it time for my next out-of-state travel in a few weeks.