Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Badger

Thread: Make it Work, Packing Cubes

Make it Work, Packing Cubes

I wish I could say I "broke down and ordered the Aeronaut" but there was no breaking down needed. It's on the way when my back-ordered Synapse ships. But I do have a question for anyone who uses Packing Cubes in the Aeronaut. I have several cubes already. I would strongly prefer not to buy anymore since I already have more than I need. I noticed the packing cube/backpack for the Aeronaut has a great variance of dimension depending upon use, unlike the Tri-Star PCBP. I presume it's because of the stuffy bottom, is that correct?

Aero PCBP Dimensions (as a backpack):
    17.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 445 x 345 x 105 mm
    Dimensions (as a packing cube):
    13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 345 x 345 x 105 mm

This is what I currently have. Can I make this work for an Aeronaut? The interior dimensions remain mysterious to me until it arrives.

eBags 3 piece (2 sets)
    Small cube dimensions: 11" x 6.75" x 3"
    Medium cube dimensions: 13.75" x 9.75" x 3"
    Large cube dimensions: 17.5" x 12.75" x 3.25"

eBags Slims
    Dimensions: 14" x 5" x 2.75"

And Bihn small all dyneema cube and a Tri-Star PCBP. Hoping I won't have to add anything specifically for the Aeronaut.

Thanks in advance!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

I use Aeronaute PCBPs (as backpack): 17.5" x 13.5" x 4.25" / 445 x 345 x 105 mm; when I pack, I don't turn it on the reverse side because I like to have the use of the lower pocket to pack things and make my Aeronaut look thinner.

The backpack straps are also really handy to grab thus make unpacking in a hurry less of a headache.

In many of my trips, I frequently had to get to the hotel and dressed up for an event happening in less than an hour.

Aero PCBPs in multiple colors, used as backpacks, make short order of getting to the right outfit set.

No need to mess with the casual, sleeping, workout gear the dressy stuff is all together in one of the Aeronaute PCBP backpack.

I never knew what Packing Cubes were until I got mine from Tom Bihn.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.

I have used eBags packing cubes (all sizes depending on what I was carrying) with my Aeronaut. I have also used the TB specific PCBP and the PCSB in the end pocket), thirdly, I have used the Aeronaut with no interior packing cubes and just rolled my clothing and used the tie down straps.

The use of packing cubes is especially helpful if you need to compress contents, or if you have less than the full capacity and would like to not have the contents shift. Also if you are packing for more than one person and want to separate their items.

I don't use just one method because where I am traveling to, usually dictates somewhat what I bring, and that affects how I pack. My suggestion is to play around with what you've got, you may be pleasantly surprised. The TB Aeronaut cubes are optimized to work the best in the Aeronaut however, so if you want to pack in the most efficient way possible, as the bag was designed to be used, use the specific cubes.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Interesting because I was in the same spot a couple of weeks ago. I bought the aeronaut & the regular large packing cube, not the backpack one (was on backordered & didn't have time before my trip. I too also have many ebags cubes. But I decided to get the aeronaut specific one as it fits perfect in the bag. The large ebags one will not fit in there unless you push into the side compartments. Hope this helps.

I've posted a couple of times, but here is what it looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I think you'd be okay with the cubes you currently own. Even if the large ebags cubes are a bit long for the interior dimensions of the main Aeronaut compartment, you can "steal" space from the end pockets if needed. While it's true that the Aeronaut-specific cubes work best, I agree that it's wise to see if what you already have will suffice. If it helps, I use my TS PCBP and WF large and small packing cubes in my Aeronaut and I have not suffered any ill effects.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0