Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Aeronaut--Too large for a long weekend trip?

I just got my Aeronaut yesterday. I bought it primarily for longer trips overseas (7+ days) but have a long weekend trip (3 days) coming up soon and thought about testing it out. Has anyone used it for a shorter trip? Straight out of the box it doesn't look that big to me but I also haven't maxed it out to see how it looks stuffed to capacity. I thought about buying one of the smaller/medium size Tom Bihn bags but am trying to minimize the number of travel bags I have.

I think the Aeronaut would work fine for 3 days; just cinch your stuff down using the internal compression straps. I've also found that I can leave the side pockets empty without compromising its functionality. In my experience, when the Aeronaut is not filled to capacity, it carries better as a shoulder bag.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    I just used my Aeronaut for the first time this past weekend, for a two-night stay in a hotel, traveling by vehicle. It certainly wasn't stuffed to capacity, but it still looked great. It was easy to "live" out of, and the packing cubes and other accessories I have for it kept everything organized.

Much to my horror, my brand-new Aeronaut had to travel in the back of a pick-up truck - which was new & clean, but it rained almost the whole 3 hour drive! However, the bag didn't get all that wet, and everything inside stayed dry
    Aeronaut 45; Synapse 19; Co-Pilot; PCBP & other packing cubes; Swift; 2 x Little Swifts; 3 x Side Effects; 5 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 6 Travel Trays; 5 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Lights; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D All-Fabric Organizer Cubes; 4 Yarn Stuff Sacks; many Clear Organizer Wallets; many, many pouches; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I had my Aeronaut for two years before I had a Tri-Star or Western Flyer and so it did everything from overnight to over two weeks. It works just as well half full as stuffed to the gills. Honestly, if you only have one bag, it should be an Aeronaut!

I have an older Aeronaut without the compression straps and I use it for shorter trips. I just make sure everything is in a packing cube. I agree, it carries better with the shoulder strap if it's more than half empty.

Thanks all for the input. It makes me feel a little better about my decision to get the Aeronaut. I like the Western Flyer but couldn't justify getting both right now. The Aeronaut felt like a more pressing need. I may get a Western Flyer at some point but I'll test out the Aeronaut and see how it does for now.

Not that I'm looking for an excuse to buy more Bihn (cough cough,), but I have a week long domestic trip in September and I'm wondering if the Tri-Star can do it?
    Carrying clothes plus cosmetics, etc or if I need to add an Aero to the arsenal.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    I have a week long domestic trip in September and I'm wondering if the Tri-Star can do it?
    I certainly think a week is possible, but there are considerations unique to each trip that makes the provisional answer "it depends." Where are you going? Business or leisure? Are you flying or driving? Do you have events that require special attire of any sort? How much (if any) tech are you bringing? Also keep in mind that a size 8 woman can fit considerably more into any bag than a size XL man, and shoes are another potential issue as well.

I'll be flying to Topeka for a Sun-Sat week long "national specialty" dog show. So most attire will be casual but we do have 2 or 3 dinners that would be business casual. Since the hotel has laundry service, I considered that the Tri-Star could do it, however, I don't want to get down to packing and have to bust out the roller luggage. I have a current back-order so if I'm going to opt for an Aero it might as well ride along when the Synapse 19 ships.

Duffels are my usual go-to bag for weekend car trips and I have a few, but none as nice as the Bihn ballistic. I opted for the Tri-Star first because it's different and I wanted to be safely within Euro carry-on limits (that didn't work out so well).

Right now I'm leaning to the yes side of the yes/no/yes/no debate. So for folks with both travel bags, do you opt for matching colors (LOVE that Steel/UV) or do you ride the rainbow - like a Steel Tri & a Cardinal Aero?
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Don't own a Tristar, but LOVE my Cardinal Aeronaut! It is my RV weekend bag right now. It's slim and sleek, and does the job with ease.

Just got 2 New Aeronaut in the mail on Thursday and my wife and I used them on Friday for overnight trip. We backed light and used our packing cubes and compression straps to keep everything secured. The best part was a dropped my laptop bag directly into the Aeronaut and reduced everything to one bag. After our short test run, I ended up ordering some additional accessories for our upcoming trips this summer. I don't think we would get a smaller bag, the Aeronaut was fine.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0