Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New to TB...Smart Alec or Brain Bag??

In my experience, the Cordura does pick up more pet hair than Dyneema, but I wouldn't say it was insane. I have two dogs that shed constantly, and I've found the lint roller handy in the event I've dropped my bag in a hair-drift. I really haven't found lint to be an issue at all. Others might have had different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    In my experience, the Cordura does pick up more pet hair than Dyneema, but I wouldn't say it was insane. I have two dogs that shed constantly, and I've found the lint roller handy in the event I've dropped my bag in a hair-drift. I really haven't found lint to be an issue at all. Others might have had different experiences.
    Same here - cordura is my favorite fabric. I tend to put my bag away from the hair zone - much as I keep my black clothes away from the hairy one .. Not a big deal for me.
    List under construction ....

I didn't have any problem with the 2 Cordura Tom Bihn bags I got and I think some Pouches when my beloved cat was still with us.

Her hair was a magnet on cotton fabric but I do not recall any on my Cordura Bags or Pouches.

I had a Cordura indigo synapse. I ended up selling it and I'm waiting on the Steel/UV synapse. I personally don't care for the Cordura because it did pick up pet hair and lint. I had a lint roller, but for some reason my dog's hair really stuck in the fibers of the Cordura. The stubborn hairs I would have to pick out with my fingers. So, I personally prefer the Dyneema or ballistic nylon.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Thanks everyone for the replies. If it was just my own pets I wouldn't worry about the hair so much but I visit several homes a day and its not uncommon to have 3 to 4 out of say 5 homes to have pets and almost always after I am stuck either having to brush off or use a lint removed roller to remove the lint from my uniform. Txgirl and those that own dyneema bags, how have they held up and what kind of usage do they go through? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies. If it was just my own pets I wouldn't worry about the hair so much but I visit several homes a day and its not uncommon to have 3 to 4 out of say 5 homes to have pets and almost always after I am stuck either having to brush off or use a lint removed roller to remove the lint from my uniform. Txgirl and those that own dyneema bags, how have they held up and what kind of usage do they go through? Thanks again.
    I haven't received my Dyneema synapse yet so I can't comment on the bag itself. I do have several Dyneema pouches & a yarn sack that I use everyday & they still look brand new. Hopefully, someone who owns a Dyneema bag can comment about theirs.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

The thing about a Dyneema backpack . . . is that it looks like a Dyneema backpack. What I mean by that is that it presents as more outdoorsy-technical than business casual. It's a great fabric and I'm lucky that where I work, I can carry my Dyneema Synapse with no problem. However, since your work environment requires a certain corporate look, I'd say that will probably dictate the fabric and color of your bag. A more expensive option would be to go ahead and order the 25 in Dyneema for your house calls, and then invest in a black bag for times when a more conservative look is needed.

I've used my 200d Dyneema Synapse almost every day for over a year and it looks the same as the day I took it out of the box. It's my holy of holies and will need to be pried from my cold, stiff fingers before I part with it.

I don't mean to make the conversation more complicated, but if the Smart Alec is not completely off the table, it comes in an all-black exterior, with a ballistic front and cordura sides. I don't have pets so I don't know about whether pet hair sticks onto the ballistic fabric, but it does seem a bit easier to brush off dirt.

I have a 200 D (Everyday Dyneema) and a 400 D (Travel Dyneema) Synapse.

The 200 D Synapse has been used since I got it in the Fall of 2011, on its second outing, it broke my fall, as it became a counter balance, after checking my wobbly self, I found my Synapse intact. The impact on concrete, was not negligible, it removed the paint on the small upper pocket zipper pull.

I got the 400 D Synapse for the 2012 Holiday Season, along with an Aeronaute and a Tristar in 400 D Dyneema. I took them on a trip and even checked the 2 bigger bags. I was scared when they came out of the carousel but they were none the worst for wear.

Maybe Tom is going to consider making the Synapses, Smart Alec and Brain Bag in Ballistic since Tom Bihn Inc has very professional looking primary colors in that fabric and those backpacks are not only used for computer gear hauling but as bona fide business travel bags.

A synapse 25 with black ballistic nylon and Iberian dyeneema interior!! That would be awesome! Maybe on next update and two more O rings in the main compartment. But for now I think I will go with the steel dyneema/steel.
    Last edited by chrisc983; 06-11-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Thank you everyone for your help choosing a bag. I have pulled the trigger and just ordered a Synapse 25 in steel dyneema/steel. Can't wait to get it and load it up. I'm already thinking what accessories to get for it once I get extra funds again.

Just received it! I'm glad I went with the dyneema outside. It gives it a different look, in a good way. I'm pretty sure Ill benefit from it for not attracting pet hair and lint at work and looks to be an easier material to wipe down if it gets dirty when it transitions into a diaper bag for the kids.

Ill take some pictures later when I get home later and loaded up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0