Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

pre/post-work gym bag: would the synapse 19 be enough?

i'm deciding between a synapse 19 or 25 as a gym bag for those days i exercise before or after work. i also intend to use this when walking long distances or hiking, and maybe as a carry-on day pack when travelling as well. i am about 1.65 metres tall and don't want to carry more weight than necessary.

1. can these fit into the synapse 19?

- sports/work shoes
    - towel
    - toiletries
    - change of clothes
    - water bottle
    - wallet
    - sunglasses
    - book
    - umbrella
    - lunch box

2. which is more water-resistant: cordura or dyneema? i'm deciding between indigo and steel dyneema as the outer colour.
    Last edited by bagg; 05-25-2013 at 02:20 AM.

I use the Synapse 19 on gym days, but I do not fit my shoes into it (they go in a separate bag, or more recently, 'live' at the gym), or a towel. I think this might be challenging and you should look for a larger bag. Everything on your list would fit into a Smart Alec, and in dyneema the Smart Alec is pretty light.

I have had TB backpacks in dyneema and cordura, and strongly prefer the dyneema. I am not sure about the water resistance of each, though.

I think the Synapse 19 will be a squeeze for your needs. You could probably fit your clothes, shoes, and water bottle and a micro towel, but the lunchbox might push it over the edge. I love my Synapse (conifer cordura) but it's not my ideal bag for days when I have multiple errands. As for fabric, I've become a big fan of Dyneema. It's light and sheds water. I have two Dyneema bags, a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and backpack and I love them both.
    I'd like to hear from Smart Alec owners, too!

I think you could easily fit these in a Synapse 19 depending upon the size of your shoes and the size/loft of your towel. A synapse 25 should work well for these items.

Sue
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

acv
    I'm 6' feet tall and 180 lbs and wear a size large and size 11 shoes I wouldn't be able to fit that much in a 19. Just so know...

A synapse 25 would fit you better anyway and should work for the things you listed.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

thanks for the feedback. i didn't consider the smart alec as it's toploading but i'll give it another look.

I brought up the Smart Alec because I happen to have it, and do not own the Synapse 25. (The only reason for this is that I'm too short to comfortably carry the larger of the Synapses, but if I were taller, I'd go for the Synapse 25. I think the interior organization and pockets make it easier to use for day-to-day stuff.)

For me, my Smart Alec is intended for traveling, and though I do use it for day-to-day stuff (particularly on gym days), it is a little awkward to access items such as my wallet or train pass, in crowded environments like the subway. It's a nice bag, but for my daily commute I prefer the Synapse for its accessibility.

if only the 25 came in indigo!

i am walking/hiking a lot more nowadays and would like to seek the opinion of walkers/hikers. is the synapse suitable for long-distance hikes or would you recommend a dedicated hiking pack for that purpose?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagg View Post
    i am walking/hiking a lot more nowadays and would like to seek the opinion of walkers/hikers. is the synapse suitable for long-distance hikes or would you recommend a dedicated hiking pack for that purpose?
    Tom basically designed the Synapse as a day hiking pack. Not sure if this is what you'd consider long-distance, but I've happily carried the Synapse on 15+ mile day hikes. I hike a fair amount and the Synapse and Smart Alec are the only daypacks I use.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

darcy, would dyneema or cordura be more water-resistant if i'm caught in a sudden downpour?

can a 1.5 litre sigg bottle fit into the water bottle compartment of the synapse 25?

I think a 19 would be a tight fit for you. A 25 would carry everything you mentioned and more. Both the cordura and dyneema do a pretty good job of keeping things dry. I think the dyneema does just a tad better. Water seems to bead up on it.
    Take care,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

yes, i'll probably get the 25 - the decision now is whether to get cordura or dyneema. i was considering getting an osprey talon 22 because of its mesh back panel, but when i saw someone using it, it seemed flimsy/floppy when it wasn't completely full. i hope the synapse won't be like that (particularly the bottom pocket).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0