Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Small or Large Shop Bag?

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    In the UK and Spain we have a whole different set up which obviates many of the advantages of the TB Shop Bag. Firstly, in English, it's a shopping bag. When I was a small child, around 40 years ago, shops didn't give out bags at all. So when I was sent for the messages (Scottish for going to the shops), I would be handed a line (shopping list) and either a string bag or my mum's basket. I hated the latter as, one, it made me look like a girl, and two, its rim bashed my legs!

Only when I was around ten did they introduce plastic bags. These were heavy plastic and not biodegradable, but they went down a storm. However, their very success was their undoing. Suddenly the country was littered with literally millions of them and those that did get disposed of 'properly' went in to landfill sites to sit for eternity without ever degrading.

The first attempt at broaching the issue was the biodegradable plastic sack. This improved the landfill situation but still left the litter issue as they don't exactly degrade overnight. So the latest solution is the 'bag for life'. These are heavyweight, reusable bags with cloth handles, about the same size as the large shop bag. Some are heavy plastic or cotton cloth, but the best are really nice hessian. They are sold at the checkout for 50pence/50cents and you reuse them for two or three years till they wear out. When they do you exchange them for a new one at the checkout for free - hence 'bag for life'. They are much easier to carry and, though they might lack a little in style and quality over the TB version, they are an eightieth of the price, fold flat and, if you do forget or lose them, they can be replaced at the checkout just at that point when you discover your omission! The major downside is that, no matter how subtle they may be, you have to walk around with the supermarket's logo on your bag... however I take great delight in shopping in Eroski with Carrefore bags or in Tesco's with Sainsbury's ones. As a result, our one and only TB Shop Bag has barely been used and sits on the corner of the kitchen work surface looking sad

Oh and we only have bag packers if it's Scout Job Week or a local school is raising money for a jolly somewhere... then we pay them NOT to pack the bags as they always do it 'wrong'!

Name:  Reusabag.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  44.6 KBName:  Bags for life.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  56.4 KB
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 05-27-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    earth5 likes this.

ceb
    Uh-Oh - you nicked an IKEA bag.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Love hearing about how things are done in the UK and Spain, Fat Crip. I love the "bag for life" idea. Too bad I don't live close to you - I'd buy that nice TB bag from you so you could put the money toward your next TB purchase!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    lol - we have a blue IKEA bag too, they sell those. Currently used to corral all the paperwork that needs shredding. It's the yellow ones that are meant to stay in the store
    Cadet 15/13 (black/iberian), Western Flyer (navy/iberian), travel tray (iberian), Side effect (black/wasabi), cork wallet, PCSB, packing cubes, absolute and simple shoulder straps and a small hoard of pouches and key straps

I have the small shop bag. I'm 5'2" and it is the right size for me. When packed full, it can hold enough to be quite heavy. I bought it before they started using the thicker dyneema on those bags, but it is still strong enough. Even when I have my car and drive to the store, I sometimes use it anyway, because it is so much nicer to carry than the disposable plastic bags.

bchaplin, I appreciate the height reference. I'm 5'0" and wondered whether the large shop bag might be a little too big to comfortably carry. We drive to the store, so I see large shop bags for grocery and small shop bags for more general shopping and toting!
    Ginkgo likes this.
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Dwright17, if carried "at the end of your arms" rather than over your shoulder, the large would probably hit the ground.

I am 5 ' 6" and it clears the ground for me when it is packed a bit and the bottom flat - but yesterday I was carrying it kind of lop sided with just a single item in it and it bumped the ground as I walked. I had to move it to my shoulder (which was very comfortable, those poron handles are great)
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I've got several of both large and small Ikea bags! They only charge a token price for them and the large ones make perfect laundry bags for our rental business. The only problem is that they frequently fail to make it back from the laundry to our villa!

@Daisy, thanks so much for the info on the strap length! That makes a huge difference for me about which size to buy. I like the option of carrying either way, and it's sadly a frequent irritation for us short people to have bags that bump the ground!
    Ginkgo likes this.

Many or the bags for life, especially the Spanish ones have both short and long handles so they can be shoulder slung or hand carried without a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0