Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AVService

Thread: Camera Question

Question Camera Question

Just purchased a new camera and am wondering if anyone has experience and/or suggestions about the best way to protect it/carry it/package it for travel...It is a Nikon 1 S1 with an additional 30-110MM lens. Thanks. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

For a camera that size, I would look for a small padded camera pouch, and stick it in your carry-on. I have a Canon G7 of similar size and shape and transport it thusly. Perhaps a padded organizer pouch for the lens. I'm not aware of any camera+lens options that are not DSLR-shaped. The Camera I/O would probably be overkill.

Thanks Eric_T. :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

I would be happy to add advice of my own but the question is so wide open I don't know where to start?

You can carry a camera a lot of ways and a lot of how depends on every or at least any detail of your needs.

Based on your question as it is worded,why not use the box it came in?

You will notice if you look at some photo forums that there are entire sections devoted to this exact question and there is hardly any consensus about an answer.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_T View Post
    For a camera that size, I would look for a small padded camera pouch, and stick it in your carry-on. I have a Canon G7 of similar size and shape and transport it thusly. Perhaps a padded organizer pouch for the lens. I'm not aware of any camera+lens options that are not DSLR-shaped. The Camera I/O would probably be overkill.
    We use a small padded pouch for our compact camera plus a small organiser pouch for the accessories. However it does not have interchangeable lenses and the front is flat when the lens is "sucked in". I had a quick look at your camera and it looks like the lens will always protrude, so and OP may not be suitable.

Perhaps wrap it in a thick scarf inside a PCSB? Does it come with its own carry case that you could use inside whatever TB you are using?
    List under construction ....

I have a camera seemingly similar in size to yours plus an additional zoom lens. I haven't yet even ordered my first TB bag, but thought I could also assist by sharing my method. I don't know if I understood your needs correctly but these are based on mine: something with high protection but that doesn't take up any more room then needed, weight should be as minimal as possible as well but still in the end I value robustness above lightness -- I'm a clutz and know for a fact I'll drop my bag or swing it at a rock at least once a month.

If I only carry around the camera with a short lens attached, I transfer it from one bag to another just wrapped in something like this: Name:  nikon_body_case_set_cb_n2000_for_j1_10_30mm.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  14.2 KB
    But on made for my camera model.

If you can't find one specifically made for this Nikon model, I guess there are also less form fitted options availble like this:
    Name:  pokrowiec_olympus_wrapII_1_478605675.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  16.3 KB

Then when I want to bring my zoom lens as well (for me it's an addition I only carry around on travels or when I know I'm going somewhere with good photo opportunities or specifically wish to take photos -- my short lens covers my needs in daily situations for quick snapshots), I carry both the camera and lens in this:
    Name:  olympus-slim-case-m-cam-mai.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  23.9 KB
    It's a Olympus Slim Case Medium made for the PEN cameras. I don't know if your equipment would fit but there should be something like it from other manufacturers as well. It's slim and light enough to be put in a bigger bag with other edc items but at the same time quite robust so the contents are safe even if my bag drops or gets puched around. The case doesn't have really much give at all and keeps it's form even when empty so it's not a completely ideal option, but the bulkiness and weight are a trade off from the protection so it's a price I'm willing to pay. It's also possible to be carried on it's own if you attach the shoulder strap.

For a lightner option of something similar I've sown my own camera + lens insert out of fleece with foam padding, but I didn't manage to make it as slim fitting as the one above so while lighter it adds more volume.

I haven't looked into all TB products but it hasn't seemed like they have something exactly for this purpose, at least if your looking for protection and not just a pouch to put your camera stuff in.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses...I knew forum colleagues would be a great resource...

AVService--Sorry if you found the wording vague. I am a firm believer that the way to have the best solution is to explore a variety of options so "wide open" was my intent.

Daisy--Unfortunately it does not come with a case and so far there is not one designed specifically for it. Your observation is spot on about the lack of lens smooshiness and OP fit.

Rillinki--Your assessment of my camera bag needs is accurate, including the clutz factor. The Olympus Slim Case looks intriguing...I will definitely check that one out.
    Last edited by Grandcache; 05-24-2013 at 05:40 AM.

A Medium Padded Pouch can hold an hand held video camera, (search handycam images to see the size)

The camera is round (approximately the size of a big goat cheese log) and fit perfectly in a Kit but the Kit has no padding. The Medium Padded Pouch stretch to hold it and its power brick.

So your camera and the lens could fit there together.

Alternatively you could use the Medium Padded Pouch for the camera body and a smaller Pouch for the lens.

It is a secure and very lightweight way to get my video and photo needs met in a tiny package.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-24-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    Thanks for the responses...I knew forum colleagues would be a great resource...

AVService--Sorry if you found the wording vague. I am a firm believer that the way to have the best solution is to explore a variety of options so "wide open" was my intent.
    Since there are literally an unlimited number of options,good luck.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0