Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Can't decide between MCB and LCB -- strap/weight question

Tom Bihn solutions for the Apple iPad

This is video number 42.

It is one of Tom Bihn videos, it shows the scale of many Tom Bihn Bags in relation to an iPad in its Cache.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-21-2013 at 08:19 AM.

KmK
    I love my LCB with the Q-AM strap. It is the idea combination for me...The bag is big enough to both carry what I carry daily (2-3 Rhodia notebooks, an assortment of pens, a book, my lunch, the occasional extra pair of shoes, sometimes an Ipad) and still have enough flop to stay flat against me. The Q-AM is a dream to me...even more so than the Absolute. I'm 5-2 and love the length of the padding on the QAM. It helps not only my shoulder but my neck and back as well. sometimes I hike it up, but most of the time I have it set to a length that keeps my bag tucked up somewhere about my pants pocket level and placement. Easy access, safe, comfy...and a great looking bag to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    I love my LCB with the Q-AM strap. It is the idea combination for me...The bag is big enough to both carry what I carry daily (2-3 Rhodia notebooks, an assortment of pens, a book, my lunch, the occasional extra pair of shoes, sometimes an Ipad) and still have enough flop to stay flat against me. The Q-AM is a dream to me...even more so than the Absolute. I'm 5-2 and love the length of the padding on the QAM. It helps not only my shoulder but my neck and back as well. sometimes I hike it up, but most of the time I have it set to a length that keeps my bag tucked up somewhere about my pants pocket level and placement. Easy access, safe, comfy...and a great looking bag to boot.
    Yeah at a closer look the Q-AM starts to seem like it might even be better. But I don't think I can make final call on that without trying them, so I think I'll just order both straps. Can always use them on other bags I own also, if I would strongly prefer one or the other on the LCB. I think I'll go with the large, it does seem more versatile and the option for the different straps really makes the difference.

Backpack, thanks for hinting me on that video! I somehow didn't get your link to work but found it from the Tom Bihn video collection anyway and it was very useful in showing the difference in size between the bags. I have only held an ipad a couple times so comparing to that wasn't as enlightening for me, but still the difference between came clear.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rillinki View Post
    Yeah at a closer look the Q-AM starts to seem like it might even be better. But I don't think I can make final call on that without trying them, so I think I'll just order both straps. Can always use them on other bags I own also, if I would strongly prefer one or the other on the LCB. I think I'll go with the large, it does seem more versatile and the option for the different straps really makes the difference.

Backpack, thanks for hinting me on that video! I somehow didn't get your link to work but found it from the Tom Bihn video collection anyway and it was very useful in showing the difference in size between the bags. I have only held an ipad a couple times so comparing to that wasn't as enlightening for me, but still the difference between came clear.
    If you're ordering the Q-AM strap for the Large Cafe Bag, include a note with your order that this is your intended use. When you order the Absolute Strap and the Q-AM strap separately, they come with hooks at the end that allow them to be clipped to rings on bags like the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Aeronaut, Empire Builder, Zephyr, and Co-Pilot. When you order the Absolute Strap or Q-AM strap as an option for bags like the ID Bag, Large Cafe Bag, or the Imago, the end hook clips are removed, and the strap is threaded directly though clip holders at the base of the bag. I'm not sure what they'll do if you order both straps to try with the Large Cafe Bag. probably they'll ship the LCB with one of the straps already threaded through the bag and ready for use, and the second strap with the end clips removed.

By the way, if you want to carry A4 paper or A4 Rhodia notebooks, you do need to use the large size in the cafe bag.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    If you're ordering the Q-AM strap for the Large Cafe Bag, include a note with your order that this is your intended use. When you order the Absolute Strap and the Q-AM strap separately, they come with hooks at the end that allow them to be clipped to rings on bags like the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Aeronaut, Empire Builder, Zephyr, and Co-Pilot. When you order the Absolute Strap or Q-AM strap as an option for bags like the ID Bag, Large Cafe Bag, or the Imago, the end hook clips are removed, and the strap is threaded directly though clip holders at the base of the bag. I'm not sure what they'll do if you order both straps to try with the Large Cafe Bag. probably they'll ship the LCB with one of the straps already threaded through the bag and ready for use, and the second strap with the end clips removed.
    Great note! I have never seen a Cafe Bag live so could've never noticed this. I'll have to make sure to note that in my order. And have to now think hard which one should be directly attached to the bag. I think I've started to lean on the Q-AM, because it's true I am seeking for bag's weight to be distributed more evenly, not just on one shoulder.

Do you think it's possible for myself to do the unattaching the hooks and attaching to LCB if I would just order the Absolute strap separately? I have a sowing machine and am not afraid to use it (despite it's lack of cooperation with me many times :P ). Or would doing something like this void the warranty?

No sewing needed. The straps are simply "woven" through the clips (like where you cinch down backpack straps), then doubled back up. You can easily take off the clips and thread the straps through the LCB. I did it a lot when debating between the two straps myself. I ended up going Absolute and making a "Q-AM"-like strap myself, which you can now buy (I think).

Good luck!

Thank you all for your help!

It really helped me to figure out which items I should include in my first Tom Bihn order (the more I look through on the forums and webstore I start to think it might not be the last..). Would've wanted to order it all, was left craving for the packing cube convertible bag/backpack not to even mention the carry-on bags, but narrowed it now down to three bags that I also think will complement each other in my use: the Large Cafe Bag (to be my EDC), Small Cafe Bag (to be my grab-it-and-go bag when want to move lightly) and the Side Effect (to host the essentials inside my running backpack or other bigger bag while all the time ready to be taken out on the town on its own).

Only I then got so confused with all the additional straps and stabilizers that I had to send two emails to the probably just as confused people of Tom Bihn about whether they could change it. Thus my order has been "Pending" for 24 hours now and I am on pins and needles about when it will ship and did the changes come through. But, deep breaths. They're just bags after all.

I am one of those people who keeps adding/changing my order. (It must drive them crazy...let's just say if I lived closer I would need to bring them fresh baked goodies). My experience has been that the TB crew does an awesome job of keeping up with order changes...and in those rare cases where something does happen to slip through, they promptly do whatever it takes to make sure you have what you wanted. :-)
    Darcy and backpack like this.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rillinki View Post
    Only I then got so confused with all the additional straps and stabilizers that I had to send two emails to the probably just as confused people of Tom Bihn about whether they could change it. Thus my order has been "Pending" for 24 hours now and I am on pins and needles about when it will ship and did the changes come through. But, deep breaths. They're just bags after all.
    You should receive an email from us soon re: those order changes. Today was pretty busy as it was our first shipping day after the three day weekend, plus most of our crew was in a CPR training class today. And there's a website glitch that's responsible for the permanent "pending" status (that shows even if your order has shipped) -- sorry for that confusion.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hello,

I was about to post about the cafe bag, then I saw this thread. I have the medium cafe bag (navy/cayenne) and I LOVE IT. It's hard wearing, easy to carry and looks great. I chose it over the large bag as experience tells me that if I have the space I'll fill it.... I like the fact that my medium cafe bag, when filled, will stand up on it's own if I put it down when I'm out and about. Not sure if the large one would.

However, here's the best bit... at the moment these are the contents of my medium cafe bag:

2 apples, three magazines, folded cotton shopping bag, small bottle of water, folding umbrella, leather wallet, Tom Bihn clear organizer wallet, coin purse, pen, pencil, pill box, packet of hand wipes, ipod nano and earphones, small tube of sunscreen, chewing gum, eraser, sunglasses case, moleskine pocket diary, leather notebook, small paperback book, small pencil case, smart phone, door keys... and it's not even full!

I tend to wear it across the body and even when it's full I don't really notice the weight. I never feel the need for the body strap and on my bike I just pull the shoulder strap really short and it stays snug on the body. I LOVE THIS BAG!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0