Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fat Crip

Thread: Co-Pilot packed inside an Aeronaut

Co-Pilot packed inside an Aeronaut

I like to pack whatever day bag I'm taking on a trip with me inside my main carry-on so I only have one bag while traveling. (this bag comes out once on a plane/train as it carries my electronics and other things I might need.)

So, with that information, has anyone traveled with a Co-Pilot inside their Aeronaut? I'm wondering how well it fits considering I'd use it as a semi-packing cube. How pliable is it or is it fairly sturdy even when empty? (I don't own one so I'm asking before I buy.)

(I'm not interested in an Aeronaut backpack cube or anything else, I'm specifically asking about the Co-Pilot.)

Thanks.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

JLE
    I recently bought a Co-Pilot in ballistic for my husband. I am not sure how well that would go inside the Aeronaut (but no problem from a size perspective in the main compartment). The stiffness is broadly comparable to that of a Tri-Star or Western Flyer and personally I would find the trade-off in loss of usable interior volume not worth it but that's just me - the "bag within a bag" approach never seems to work efficiently for me. But maybe in dyneema?

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    We often take a similar approach to get round the one-bag-only policies of European airlines. Either my iPad Ristretto or Heather's MCB fit in the larger front portion of the Tri-Star or I often put one or other of my Ristrettos in the main compartment of my Aeronaut next to my Mac. As soon as we've been through the gate, the 2nd bags come out to make getting seated quicker - one bag in the overhead; the other under the seat. Sadly I don't own a Co-Pilot. I'm sure it would make a better travel bag as nothing can fall out.

Eric--that's exactly what I do regarding one bag through security, two bags on plane.

And I have a feeling more and more airlines are going towards the "one bag only" model rather than the 1+1 rule they currently use. Faster boarding and more revenue.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I've often traveled with the Co-Pilot/Aeronaut combo (in fact, I'll be doing it again in a few weeks), and have found that when being smart about your packing, the Co-Pilot does fit nicely inside the Aeronaut. I do what @FatCrip does - the Co-Pilot comes out post-security to be my in-seat bag (with iPad, iPhone, Kindle, etc.) while the Aeronaut fits beautifully overhead. I've used this combo frequently when flying on regional jets (mostly CRJ 700's with United) - no one gives me a second glance when I board this way. The only thing I've found is that this bag-in-bag works better, for me at least, when I don' use a packing cube for my clothes in the Aeronaut's main compartment. I did this once, and when I put my Co-Pilot in, the Aeronaut looked a bit lumpy on one side.

As a former Co-Pilot owner, I think it would work well inside an Aeronaut as long as you packed it carefully. I use the term 'carefully' since the ballistic version (the one I had) is not especially crushable - it maintains its shape fairly well due to the structure provided by the fabric. The dyneema versions likely 'crush' better so that when the co-pilot is not full you will lose less space in the Aeronaut to the structure of the co-pilot. (I tried using the co-pilot in the middle compartment of a tri-star and in a Red Oxx air boss as well as in a roller bag with varying degrees of success.)
    Last edited by rabergnc; 05-19-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: additional content

Volunteer Moderator
    I'd be interested in hearing how well Frank's proposed combo would work for the 400D Dyneema combinations of the Aeronaut and Co-Pilot. I'd still like a redesigned smaller Aeronaut, but it would be neat if Tom could also work the design so that a Co-Pilot sized 400D Dyneema bag could easily slot inside.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing how well Frank's proposed combo would work for the 400D Dyneema combinations of the Aeronaut and Co-Pilot.
    I'd like to revist this question. Frank - did you ever put a dyneema Co-Pilot in an Aeronaut? I'm considering the same thing myself and would love any current feedback.

I have a week-long trip in September and plan to take an Aeronaut and 19 (as the personal item). I'd like to pack a dyneema Co-Pilot in the Aeronaut because I'll be at a convention where that form would be more useful than a backpack. I was planning to put a MCB on the bottom of the Aeronaut but it's not going to function as well for what I'm carrying as a Co-Pilot would. jujigatame's recent dyneema Co-Pilot photos have tempted me to give this a try.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0