Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By rishi
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By rishi
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 2 Post By Ginkgo

Thread: Aeronaut - Have I missed anything?

Aeronaut - Have I missed anything?

Placing an order from the UK I only want to pay for shipping once, can you let me know if I have missed anything?

Aeronaut
    Absolute Strap
    Clear Organiser Wallet - replace current wallet
    Packing cube all fabric end pocket - shoes
    Packing cube end pocket - anything else
    packing cube back pack -
    1 large packing cube
    2 small packing cubes
    snake charmer (leads etc)
    zipper pulls
    small clear organiser pouch - passport etc
    mini clear organiser pouch - in ear headphones
    3d clear organiser cube - toiletries for carry on
    lots of key straps
    Lara likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rishi View Post
    Placing an order from the UK I only want to pay for shipping once, can you let me know if I have missed anything?

Aeronaut
    Absolute Strap
    Clear Organiser Wallet - replace current wallet
    Packing cube all fabric end pocket - shoes
    Packing cube end pocket - anything else
    packing cube back pack -
    1 large packing cube
    2 small packing cubes
    snake charmer (leads etc)
    zipper pulls
    small clear organiser pouch - passport etc
    mini clear organiser pouch - in ear headphones
    3d clear organiser cube - toiletries for carry on
    lots of key straps
    This looks like a good list. I'll comment on additions/alternatives. I also like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which I'd use in different situations than the Packing Cube Back Pack, and for convenient access to a light windbreaker, book, etc. It also fits conveniently with some other bags I use, such as the Swift. (You can read more about bags that go well with other bags in a thread titled "Going Marsupial".). It will also hold either an iPad or an iPad Mini in a Cache. The PCSB is similar in size to the Aeronaut end pocket packing cubes, but is slightly shorter (11.75" x 7.75" x 3" / 300 x 200 x 80 mm vs. 13.4"x 7.9" x 3.1" / 340 x 200 x 80 mm I see they round dimensions in the conversions). I actually like having both the Aeronaut end pocket packing cube and the PCSB.

Travel Stuff Sacks are also another more recently introduced item that can be used in combination with packing cubes. The product web page photos show the different size stuff sacks inside an Aeronaut. Depending on the size of you shoes, you might be able to use a stuff sack that is not as long as the end pocket packing cube. However, I do like the "cube" nature for the end pocket. Stuff sacks are mainly an alternative to packing items that are more easily "stuffed in" and whose overall shape can give a little when assembled inside a bag. Maybe others who have been using the travel sacks with the Aeronaut can chime in with comments.

I've carried ear buds inside both mini and small organizer pouches (when packed with other items), but when I use these with the "mini" sized pouches I prefer to use the Clear Organizer Wallet. I like having the Ultrasuede dividers as additional padding for the ear buds. And if I include a short charging or audio cable in the pouch, these items are separated from the ear buds. I really, really like the organizer wallets, and have most of the color/fabric options. My favorite is probably the Cork for the tactile sensation.

I have the Snake Charmer, but I don't use this for carrying cables in the Aeronaut. I used to find the Clear Quarter Packing Cube more Multi-purpose and convenient for this in the Aeronaut. Often, I'd need to use only one of the two clear sides for cables. If I needed to carry portable hard drives, the other side of the CQPC could nicely hold a couple of these. And if this needed to go through security, it could be placed in an end pocket and easily pulled out. If you're not carrying a lot of cables, another option to consider is the 3D Clear Organizer Cube's mesh counterpart, the 3D Mesh Organizer Cube. When they first introduced the 3D Organizer Cube, and I got one for toiletries and to use as a 3-1-1 bag for liquids at the airport, I found that once I reached my destination I was dumping out the contents so I could use these to hold power bricks and cables. So I just ordered more 3D Organizer Cubes that could be dedicated for this purpose. The size is more convenient when carried with other, non-luggage bags like my Synapse 19 than a Snake Charmer or the Clear Quarter Packing Cube. (I still like the flexibility of the CQPC in packing in the Aeronaut, and I'll note that the Snake Charmer fits nicely into the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25, and into the Brain Bag.). We now have mesh and all Dyneema variants of the 3D Clear Organizer Cube, that fit conveniently into the side pockets of the Smart Alec and the Co-Pilot, secured by 8" or 16" key straps, or that can just be stashed in the bottom or interior pockets of bags like the Synapse 19", the Imago, etc. You can also attach a Handle Loop to separately carry these bags.

I also like the new design of the Side Effect, but that's a whole separate item!

Just my thoughts YMMV. You should get comments from other list members on these alternatives.

moriond
    Lara likes this.

I second everything Moriond said.

All of those accessories are very useful.

I would add the Clear Quarter Organizer Cube, it Clear Quarter Packing Cube - Organizational pouch for toiletries, electronics, more - TOM BIHN it has twice the capacity of the 3D Cube.

3D Dyneema/nylon Organizer Cube - Ultralight organizer pouch - TOM BIHN, it is private and very light weight.

3D Mesh Organizer Cube - Mesh Organizer Pouch - TOM BIHN and/or Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouches - - TOM BIHN to organize your electronics, if you prefer mesh type Pouches.

Unfortunately, the U.S is a natural disasters magnet and I don't go anywhere without this 2.

Tri-Power Safety Whistle - Worlds Foremost Advanced Multi-Purpose Safety Whistle - TOM BIHN

Guardian DF Light Original Base - EDC flashlight / safety light. Made in Canada. - TOM BIHN
    Last edited by backpack; 05-18-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Lara likes this.

Thank you very helpful.
    Lara likes this.

It just crossed my mind.

Don't forget to order Nikwax Tent & Gear SolarProof - Renew the water-resistant coating on your bags - TOM BIHN

Well... look what I saw: Made in the U.K.

So might find it locally.
    Lara likes this.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    The Travel Tray is another very useful item, if you have the room/budget for it.
    Aeronaut 45; Synapse 19; Co-Pilot; PCBP & other packing cubes; Swift; 2 x Little Swifts; Side Effect; 5 Shop Bags; Small Cafe Bag; 6 Travel Trays; 4 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes; Cache ; Guardian Lights; 3 x 3D Clear Organizer Cubes; 3 x 3D Organizer Cubes; 4 Yarn Stuff Sacks; 8 Clear Organizer Wallets; many, many pouches; Cafe Messenger Stabilizer.

That order list looks quite similar to the order I made a few weeks ago, Rishi! I already owned the Aeronaut and Absolute Strap, but I was desperate to get the full kit of Aeronaut packing cubes before my trip (which I'm currently on). For this particular trip, here's the list of the TB accessories I brought with me:

Aeronaut End Pocket #1:
    3D Clear Organizer Cube (for 3-1-1 liquids)
    16-inch Long Key Strap (to keep 3D Clear Organizer Cube connected to Aeronaut end pocket during security when it's taken out)
    3D Clear Quarter Cube (one side with computer/camera cables and chargers, other side for non-liquid cosmetics and toiletries)

Aeronaut End Pocket #2
    All-Fabric End Pocket Packing Cube (for shoes)
    Clear Organizer Wallet (for just-in-case but not essential ID; home metrocard)
    8-inch Key Strap (for wallet)

Aeronaut Zippered Pocket on one of the End Pockets
    Small Padded Organizer Pouch (for camera)
    Medium Ballistic Organizer Pouch (for tickets and boarding pass)
    2 8-inch key strap (for medium ballistic organizer pouch and house keys)
    Travel Tray (a tidy way to keep bits and bobs together at your lodging destination)

Main Aeronaut Section:
    2 Small Packing Cubes
    Packing Cube Backpack
    1 Large Dyneema Organizer Pouch (for itinerary and other paperwork)
    8-inch Key Strap (for dyneema pouch)
    Vertical Cache (for my laptop)
    Small Shop Bag (for shopping at my destination; maybe I was able to fit this in an end pocket? I don't remember.)

I think that's it? I did order a regular End Pocket Packing Cube, but I didn't use it for this trip. I also ordered a Snake Charmer, but I didn't use it for this trip either (might use it in my day-to-day bag instead). I did not order a large packing cube, since I was already ordering a Packing Cube Backpack and thought a Large Packing Cube would be redundant for my needs. The PCB has been incredibly useful for my trip. Light with a large capacity, I've been lugging my water bottle, a hoodie (a jumper, in British parlance?), Small Shop Bag, and an umbrella in it for my daily activities, and I toss my day's purchases in there too, no problem.

I too have found the 3D Clear Quarter Cube very useful, but I think I'm the person who bought the very last one before it became backordered. Sorry!

Please take my list above with a grain of salt. I'm not the most efficient packer, and it's been quite heavy even though I'm only on this trip for 6 days. Your needs might be quite different from mine -- I definitely wouldn't say that any of my purchases are essential for your particular needs. Just wanted to share my list to give you an idea of how *this* Aeronaut owner packs.

Yep nik wax available in the UK, Highly recommend the product since seeing on Tom Bihn site, I have been using it on all my waterproof gear (predominantly from Rohan).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0